PDA

View Full Version : Millett Zoom Dot

johnson601
05-08-08, 11:36
Does anyone have any thoughts on these? First hand?
http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/zoom_dot

Jeremy
05-09-08, 22:27
I'm testing and evaluating one at work right now. it is actually the second one we have received as the first one had some issues with windage adjustment. Millett said that it was not assembled properly and sent out a replacement. The windage and elevation adjustments on the second one were noticeably smoother and I got it zeroed in 10 rounds or less.

So far I am very pleased with it and will most likely purchase it at the end of the sample period. I always felt I was compromising with a fixed dot size, especially when using a magnifier. I have turned in some pretty good groups with the sight and my clone magnifier, much better than the SPOT it replaced. When in the cruiser, I leave it on 10 MOA as odds are if I need the rifle it will be quick and close. With the dot at max size, it is very quick to pick up and hitting silhouettes at 100 yards is not problem.

We just got down with spring training and during one exercise, I hit a shot at 300-350 yards from a kneeling position with the dot dialed down and the magnifier in place. It was really pretty easy even after running into place.

During night fire, we did some close in drills and I dialed it back up and it worked as it should and was very fast to pick up.

The auto brightness feature seems to work very good so far and it seems to always be the same relative brightness. I really like this feature.

It is lighter than the SPOT and any weight savings is appreciated as lights, optics, VFG's etc start to add up.

The only problem I have noticed so far as that during the run and gun course where I got the long range shots, I noticed that with it dialed down so low, it turned off after 10 shot or so strings. Now I was running it as close to off as I could and I don't know if I was just pushing it too much or it needs a little more tension on the adjustment knob at the lower end. I will play with it more and report back, but it doesn't bother me enought to be a deal breaker as it offers too much flexibility for me at work. I work in a Rural city and most things are close, but we have some distance and the ability to tailer dot size to the situation is nice. The auto adjustment is worth it alone to me as it always works and works well. The dot is also the most crisp dot I have seen as others always look pixelated or clustered to me (Aimpoints, SPOT, and Eotech).

For a patrol carbine, I like knowing that as soon as I flip the scope covers, it is good to go. A poster on AR15.com stated that with the covers open he got three months out of one battery. Sitting in a dark trunk most of the time, I would imagine I could get even more.

Overall, I am very pleased to this point.

johnson601
05-12-08, 10:42
Thanks Jeremy,

What do you mean when you say it shuts off?

Jeremy
05-12-08, 11:18
The adjustment wheel on the right size controls on/off and dot size. At the smallest dot size I could still see through the magnifier it was just barely away from the off position. Under recoil it would vibrate to the off setting as there are no clicks for dot size, but a smooth rotating dial.

Without the magnifier I cannot go that small on dot size and I was probably pushing it smaller than I really needed or could see the difference in MOA anyway. But hey, that's what training days are for if you ask me--to see how far you can push things.

I plan to get some Butler Creek caps soon. The Millett ones work, but I prefer the feel of the Butler Creeks better.

razors
05-12-08, 20:48
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13730&highlight=millet+zoom

:)

Jeremy
05-20-08, 19:02
After trading emails with Millett, they suggested cleaning the grease off the adjustment knob/battery. They said it is greased from the factory to keep it from being too stiff. I did it and it is a lot tighter to move by hand, but by no means difficult. Unfortunately I did not get to the range today to see if it makes a difference while shooting.

ramennoodles
06-04-08, 12:10
so I was doing some research on this optic and came across some very good technical info(patent) which convinced me to buy one and try it out. check it out: http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/6967775.html

Jeremy
06-04-08, 13:29
I've shot it since removing the grease and it did the trick. I had to clean it twice to get all of the residue but it is good to go.

I like the versatility of the dot. We had a barricade last night and I was originally on the perimeter, 75 to 125 yards out as I was trying to warn residents of the potential threat. While moving, I was able to back off the dot size more appropriate for the distance. As it goes in tactical operations, the individual came out while things were getting set up and I ran up to help clear the residence and dialed the dot size back to maximum.

ramennoodles
06-04-08, 14:17
I've shot it since removing the grease and it did the trick. I had to clean it twice to get all of the residue but it is good to go.

I like the versatility of the dot. We had a barricade last night and I was originally on the perimeter, 75 to 125 yards out as I was trying to warn residents of the potential threat. While moving, I was able to back off the dot size more appropriate for the distance. As it goes in tactical operations, the individual came out while things were getting set up and I ran up to help clear the residence and dialed the dot size back to maximum.

nice, I'm still waiting for mine to come in. Have you bumped the knob on anything yet like a vehicle door or something. I'll be in and out of vehicles a lot and tend to bang my optics quite a bit. Just wondering how the knob is gonna hold up to possible daily bumpings

AirCavBob
06-04-08, 15:50
Thanks for the heads up all. Where are these available and what’s the cost running please? Millett does not sell direct.

Jeremy
06-04-08, 15:52
I've used it in and out of vehicles, building clearings, and woodland ops. So far no problems noted besides the changing dot size which has been solved. The knob is pretty substantial and should stand up to rough use. I geuss if the knock was just right, it could change the dot size but I have not had it happen to me.

ramennoodles
06-04-08, 16:21
Thanks for the heads up all. Where are these available and what’s the cost running please? Millett does not sell direct.

pm sent

ramennoodles
10-22-09, 00:10
so after using this on a trip, I was pretty happy with it. The aimpoint stayed locked up somewhere. My only complaint is the tint on the glass, I wish it was clear. It didn't really matter much though because we only ran night missions most the time.

castillo
10-24-09, 17:14

They used to. Email or call them. They used to sell direct to mil and LE and give a decent discount.

dwhitehorne
10-26-09, 07:55
I've had mine a little over a year now. On the 2nd battery. It's been rained on a few times and banged around a little and it still works fine. I just switched it from an AR to a 556 Classic I picked up. The millet low mount co witnesses great with the Sig diopter sights. David