PDA

View Full Version : MFT Minimalist stock

Fireman1291
11-23-13, 21:45
So I finally had some time off to go out and film the review for the Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock that I got for my SBR build. I must say, for $60 it's one heck of a deal. I was thoroughly impressed and thought for sure I would be able to break it easy when I tortured it at the end. I ended up surprising my buddy and giving him mine at the end. I had another one at home that has now earned a permanent spot on my SBR.

Its a tad long but there was so much to cover it was hard to cut down more than I already did. It takes my personal free time, gas money, ammo money, and editing time to go out and do these reviews. If you don't like the video then don't watch it. I do this for the people that it may help on deciding what guns,silencers, gun parts etc to buy. So whiners need not apply. That being said I hope you enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLkqGqiWrMI

ABNAK
11-23-13, 22:08
When he showed the possible hang-up by catching on the web gear late in the video, well that was all I needed to see. Up to that point it looked decent.

eternal24k
11-23-13, 22:37
When he showed the possible hang-up by catching on the web gear late in the video, well that was all I needed to see. Up to that point it looked decent.

If I got one I would definitely do something like this http://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/MFT-BATTLELINK-Minimalist-paracor-mod-460x345.jpg

TacticalSledgehammer
11-23-13, 22:48
I saw some VEPR AKs with that stock listed on Atlantic's site. I'd like to see that stock in person.

TacticalMark
11-23-13, 23:50
If I got one I would definitely do something like this http://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/MFT-BATTLELINK-Minimalist-paracor-mod-460x345.jpg
That is genius

Iraqgunz
11-24-13, 03:35
At some point all of this gets too silly. Having to make something to add to a stock to stop it from potentially snagging on gear makes no sense.

hunt_ak
11-24-13, 05:54
What is the overall benefit of this vs a run-of-the-mill MOE? Is it THAT much lighter than other offerings out there?

Slippers
11-24-13, 06:31
By the time you add all that paracord to fix the snag potential it's going to weigh more than a CTR.

jerrysimons
11-24-13, 09:54
Intriguing review.

In terms of lightness I'll stick with the 4.4oz CAR stock, but the MFT has a lot going for it and is still super light. The initial revolt against this stock for getting hung up on things was blown out of proportion and the guy in the video with the same concern didn't find an issue like he thought he would.

Fireman1291
11-24-13, 10:39
We didn't experience any hangups. I was actually impressed given the price point. This stock is perfect for SBR and KISS builds.

I'm going to a giveaway on my Facebook page to get some new traffic so If you want to win a free one (mil spec black with the paracord option) then stay tuned on my www.facebook.com/NFAReviewChannel as I will be announcing the contest Tuesday morning. Contest will be easy and you'll have multiple ways to get your name in the hat.

SilverBullet432
11-24-13, 11:51
I saw some VEPR AKs with that stock listed on Atlantic's site. I'd like to see that stock in person.

Not the same stock.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-24-13, 20:19
Not the same stock.

You're right! I dunno how I missed that.

lunchbox
11-24-13, 20:50
Dunno, if I had one I'd have to cut stock plate in half (kinda like Colt Aluminum stocks). That stock just screams "Gonna hook somthin", if cut stock and still did paracord (I do like the paracord) might reduce snag chance/weight. Just a thought. One side note-- My cousin really likes his MFT stuff and swears by it... I'm still a Magpul guy tho.

harm
11-24-13, 21:22
I'm wondering as a cake eating civilian - where most of my use will be t-shirts and coats rather than vests or gear north of my waist - this might be perfect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Fireman1291
11-26-13, 07:58
I'm wondering as a cake eating civilian - where most of my use will be t-shirts and coats rather than vests or gear north of my waist - this might be perfect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly…...

scoutchris
11-26-13, 16:06
If nothing else, it looks cool as shit, and will get tons of comments. I already commented in the video, I agree with the consensus. The channel is awesome, keep up the good work, Fireman.

Steve S.
11-26-13, 20:19
What's the weight on the stock?

I'm kind of with IraqGunz, it can't be much lighter than a B5 Bravo at 8 ounces, and brings a potential snag issue and no included cheek weld.

Also is the rear sling swivel rotation limited?

Interesting idea though - I'm sure they'll sell a ton.

Also would like to say I love the channel, Fireman. Been watching since you were firing suppressed pistols out of the house.

One gripe... this review was like twice as long as the review on the Silencerco SPECWAR! What gives, bro?! You should consider revisiting the SPECWAR with a part two. Add in long term experiences and a more detailed review / shooting session with it.

Keep up the great work!

Shao
11-27-13, 06:46
I've been using one of these on a lightweight build since they became available. The weight numbers stated on the internet are all over the place. I would weigh mine now but I have women sleeping in the room and I'm not going to disturb them right now. I believe that when I did weigh it, it was something like 5.5oz - above the <5oz. mark that many were touting before its release. I also weighed my CAR stock and it came out to 7.2 oz??? Is that 4.4oz claim made above me false, is it in reference to the older aluminum style, or do I have some kind of weird weighted CAR stock?

I've had very little range time with it but it seems extremely well made. I agree with the above poster that it's perfect for SBR applications. On my 16" LW build with MI tube it looks OK, but when my friend slapped it on his 11.5" SBR, my heart skipped a beat. For looks alone, this is a great SBR stock, on the right weapon it can make your AR look like a Star Wars gun. I'm not sure that you're going to notice much of a difference between it and a B5 Bravo or MOE, but if you're one of those grams add up to ounces add up to pounds guys, I suppose shaving ounces where you can is a good thing. I've run a few backwoods drills with it and I never noticed any snagging using a Fortis endplate, MS4 configured to single point, Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rig, and VTAC Brokos with a 1911 in crossdraw cant. I ran around quite a bit, including through some thick brush, practiced quick-shouldering and firing drills from compromised positions... etc... Not one snag - I believe that it's possible due to the design but improbable unless you are one unlucky mofo. I'll post more in depth with lots of pics after my ladies are up if anyone is interested. I just realized I'm writing a novel here so Shao out.

jerrysimons
11-27-13, 07:09
I've been using one of these on a lightweight build since they became available. The weight numbers stated on the internet are all over the place. I would weigh mine now but I have women sleeping in the room and I'm not going to disturb them right now. I believe that when I did weigh it, it was something like 5.5oz - above the <5oz. mark that many were touting before its release. I also weighed my CAR stock and it came out to 7.2 oz??? Is that 4.4oz claim made above me false, is it in reference to the older aluminum style, or do I have some kind of weird weighted CAR stock?

I've had very little range time with it but it seems extremely well made. I agree with the above poster that it's perfect for SBR applications. On my 16" LW build with MI tube it looks OK, but when my friend slapped it on his 11.5" SBR, my heart skipped a beat. For looks alone, this is a great SBR stock, on the right weapon it can make your AR look like a Star Wars gun. I'm not sure that you're going to notice much of a difference between it and a B5 Bravo or MOE, but if you're one of those grams add up to ounces add up to pounds guys, I suppose shaving ounces where you can is a good thing. I've run a few backwoods drills with it and I never noticed any snagging using a Fortis endplate, MS4 configured to single point, Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rig, and VTAC Brokos with a 1911 in crossdraw cant. I ran around quite a bit, including through some thick brush, practiced quick-shouldering and firing drills from compromised positions... etc... Not one snag - I believe that it's possible due to the design but improbable unless you are one unlucky mofo. I'll post more in depth with lots of pics after my ladies are up if anyone is interested. I just realized I'm writing a novel here so Shao out.

I remember before its release the Minimalist was touted as being less than 6oz. So 5.5oz seems spot on.
The Colt N1 CAR stock weighs 4.4oz, I have two. I also have a nice DSArms fiberite copy of the Colt N1 that is 4.6oz.

Fireman1291
11-27-13, 07:54
What's the weight on the stock?

I'm kind of with IraqGunz, it can't be much lighter than a B5 Bravo at 8 ounces, and brings a potential snag issue and no included cheek weld.

Also is the rear sling swivel rotation limited?

Interesting idea though - I'm sure they'll sell a ton.

Also would like to say I love the channel, Fireman. Been watching since you were firing suppressed pistols out of the house.

One gripe... this review was like twice as long as the review on the Silencerco SPECWAR! What gives, bro?! You should consider revisiting the SPECWAR with a part two. Add in long term experiences and a more detailed review / shooting session with it.

Keep up the great work!

Yeah when Silencerco flew down to film our time was limited on camera so I ended up not getting my usual length of footage. The plus side is 12months from now when my personal Specwar 762 clears you will see more video on it. I still have to release the Octane45 review, Spectre2 and Warlock2. The Octane45 will have more way more footage! Stay tuned I have some interested reviews in the works!

markm
11-27-13, 11:58
At some point all of this gets too silly. Having to make something to add to a stock to stop it from potentially snagging on gear makes no sense.

I'd fill the entire void area with JB WELD to prevent snags.

ScatmanCrothers
11-27-13, 16:05
I don't care for my N1 on a full size rifle so I doubt I'd like this one either. It does look simple enough though, could work well with a SBR. A Bravo is about as lite as I can go without the "balance" feeling off to me. Just personal preference I rectum.

Sorry for balance talk, won't happen again.

discreet
12-29-13, 02:43
By the time you add all that paracord to fix the snag potential it's going to weigh more than a CTR.

I know this is a month or so out of date, but the paracord modified stock they now sell, has 8 feet of paracord to fill this gap and weighed in at .5oz heaver. Stock is 6oz with paracord, still a few ounces shy of a Moe stock, which is lighter than a ctr stock.

IMO with having the survival paracord on the rifle, and now having to wear one of those wrist bands so many people do, it's sort of win win.

Anyone have some extensive usage on these yet?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see these selling like hot cakes when everyone is running around with the new BCM goodies coming soon. That mixed with v7 parts, I bet we will start to see some scary light 5lb ar's.

WS6
12-29-13, 09:22
It's just another option. One that doesn't appeal to me. Dropping 2.5-3oz at the very back of the weapon is the last thing I care about.

Rayrevolver
01-05-14, 16:29
I bought a new Minimalist FDE milspec version for $48 shipped.

We have pistol caliber carbine side matches at our USPSA shoots so I am going to try it on an M&P15-22 (which is about as light as you can make it with an RMR/DD BUIS).

I have 4 Vltor A5 REs - on one it is practically impossible to move, one it is perfect, and the other 2 it is tight. It is tight on the M&P plastic RE.

I weighed a few stocks I had laying around. Weight Watchers scale may be off a little but it was repeatable.

M4 Stock - 7.20 oz
M4 Stock (M&P15-22) - 7.60 oz (not pictured)
B5 Bravo - 8.9 oz
Magpul ACS - 14.25 oz
Minimalist - 6.00 oz

goodwitwood
01-06-14, 09:18
I think most people get caught up with how light it is, which is true, but this damn thing is durable. I am amazed how solid it is. This is definitely not your run of the mill plastic. It really feels like the most durable part of my rifle, except for the barrel, of course.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ToeTagger6552
07-15-14, 17:47
Any more input on these stocks? I'm about to order one up.

goodwitwood
07-15-14, 17:55
I love mine. It's as solid now as it was out of package: no wiggle, rattle, etc. If I ever do another build the stock is a must have.

Shao
07-15-14, 17:56
Any more input on these stocks? I'm about to order one up.

Just don't expect their colors to match anyone else's colors. Order black and you'll be safe. I like mine. It's held up well and hasn't given me any trouble. I will have to say, MFT knows how to make a stock... I also own the MBULS or whatever it's called and besides being a little clunky to look at, is an amazing piece of engineering.

ToeTagger6552
07-15-14, 17:58
I was curious to see how their foliage green matched Magpul foliage green.

Shao
07-15-14, 18:01
No experience with their foliage although it looks close from the matches I've seen. I do know that their grey is totally different than Magpul's and a bit greener than B5's. Also, their FDE is fleshier and a bit lighter than Magpuls and a little closer to Tango Down's tan. So, if you're really picky about that kinda thing I would do further research first.

ToeTagger6552
07-15-14, 18:14
I will check into that... What is the MBULS you speak of.

ToeTagger6552
07-15-14, 18:15
Is it a stock?

ToeTagger6552
07-15-14, 18:18
I've also heard they fit very tight and are slightly hard to adjust... Can you address that?

six8
07-15-14, 18:22
Just don't expect their colors to match anyone else's colors. Order black and you'll be safe. I like mine. It's held up well and hasn't given me any trouble. I will have to say, MFT knows how to make a stock... I also own the MBULS or whatever it's called and besides being a little clunky to look at, is an amazing piece of engineering.
Yeah the grey is not even close to Magpuls. I ended up dying mine black.

six8
07-15-14, 18:23
I've also heard they fit very tight and are slightly hard to adjust... Can you address that?
Mine is very tight. Not too tight but tight.

Shao
07-15-14, 20:13
Sorry BULS, bad with acronyms sometimes : http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Battlelink-stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_3

Only 3/4 of an oz heavier than the MOE and a bit lighter than the CTR yet has massive storage, and unlike the STR it doesn't feel like you've got a football on the end of your stick. I did a short write up on it with pictures a little over a year ago. You can find it using the search function. Both my BULS and Minimalist are a little tight on a BCM and LMT RE but no tighter than the B5 Bravos that I have. It's definitely not a deal breaker. Better than the alternative in my opinion.

discreet
07-15-14, 20:55

I picked up a few awhile back. RIT dye'd each one. Perfect foilage match, perfect OD match, perfect FDE match. Took 5$ and20 min a stock.

Hands down the best adjustable stocks I have owned. Crazy tight lockup but adjusts smooth but with needed effort. Not paris hiltoning like my Magpul stocks do. Honestly it's not even a weight thing anymore with them... they are just badd ass top tier engineered products. I'm really looking forward to seeing how their BUIS come out. Have a feeling they will be magpul killers. Def not sites to keep running up, but by the looks of it, will be killer at what they are designed for.

ToeTagger6552
07-15-14, 21:07
You dyed a black stock to foliage green?

C-grunt
07-16-14, 01:04
I got to use a couple at a demo shoot for Arsenal Democracy. Not my cup of tea but I found no real fault in the stock. Could catch on stuff though with the hook design. It was very solid though in both construction and lock up.

hoopvillian
07-16-14, 10:43
I love my Minimalist stock. Fit is perfect.

gtboy2k
07-16-14, 15:25
That is genius

Agreed, if this is your shtf rifle you never know when that additional paracord could come in handle. And until that time it serves a functional purpose.

markm
07-16-14, 15:27
We're getting a little Survivorman aren't we? ;)

XD40Colorado
07-18-14, 08:10
This stock is GTG - I have it on my 18" SPR-ish rifle and my 14.5" carbine. Very light and comfortable.

discreet
07-18-14, 18:08
You dyed a black stock to foliage green?

HUH? Black stock???

I started with tan/fde on all of them. Foilage was the hardest, as you can't really go much darker than fde, more just changing the tint. Took some mixing of colors to get it right.

GrahamKAC
07-18-14, 19:45
Been running mine on a MK18 style build for a couple weeks now. I could see the disadvantage about the stock getting tangled in something, but granted I don't typically belly crawl with mine through any harsh vegetation. So it hasn't been a concern.

Toecheese
07-18-14, 19:53
Use it, run it, love it. Light, fit is snug and tight, and you can find them for around $40. One word of caution, if you're trying to match Magpul FDE, use MFT sand not FDE.

GrahamKAC
07-18-14, 20:58
Where'd you pick one up for $40? I paid about $55 for my last one. I'd get another for $40. My google-fu is weak today.

hoopvillian
07-18-14, 21:20
Where'd you pick one up for $40? I paid about $55 for my last one. I'd get another for $40. My google-fu is weak today.

I got mine on Ebay. I don't see any for $40 right now, but here's one for $43 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMSMIL-Mission-First-Tactical-Battlelink-Minimalist-223-Rem-Mil-Spec-Stock-Poly-/261536660857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce4ccbd79

discreet
07-18-14, 21:28
Use it, run it, love it. Light, fit is snug and tight, and you can find them for around $40. One word of caution, if you're trying to match Magpul FDE, use MFT sand not FDE.

I think you mean get the Scorched Dark Earth. The Scorched dark earth is their answer to Magpuls FDE. The MFT FDE color is a lot more pinkish than other companies FDE. Think of it like some desert camo that has a pinkish hue to it.

Toecheese
07-18-14, 21:32
Correct....do not use MFT fde

Rayrevolver
07-18-14, 21:34
Yes, Scorched Earth is the most like normal FDE. See page 2 of this thread for some pics I posted.

Mine is relegated to the M&P15-22 rifle. The sharp edge on the front of the stock digs into my cheek since I shoot NTCH. Back to using the B5 Bravo again. I will try the BCM stock whenever it hits the streets.

GrahamKAC
07-18-14, 21:47
Nice. I'll have to check ebay for a scorched dark earth model.

ToeTagger6552
07-18-14, 22:07
$52 shipped from midway USA.

GrahamKAC
07-19-14, 15:42
Might have to check out Midway. They've got a $10 off $50 going right now.

TexasAggie2005
07-19-14, 15:53
I bought mine from my local Academy, $49.99+tax.

GrahamKAC
07-19-14, 15:55
Good idea. Never thought to check there.