PDA

View Full Version : In a billet receiver what would you preffer? Integral trigger guard or Milspec

quillbro
11-24-13, 02:43
Given: You have a custom billet gee whiz receiver.

question: Would you rather have an integral trigger guard machined into the lower, or would you rather have a molded polymer trigger guard like a magpul or similar that has the winter detent provision for folding down?

Thank you very much for your input.

-Evan

scooter22
11-24-13, 03:31
Integral, but nothing crazy.

GH41
11-24-13, 06:47
Integral and beefy enough to eliminate any possibility of being damaged. GH

_Stormin_
11-24-13, 07:46
Definitely integral.

Aaron_B
11-24-13, 08:15
If I were paying for a billet lower, I would expect nothing less than integral.

tog
11-24-13, 08:27
The tabs securing the trigger guard always seemed a weak spot to me. But, I've never heard of them being a problem until someone was trying to change out the trigger guard and breaking one. Were they ever a problem for the military?

Aaron_B
11-24-13, 09:07
It's not a problem with proper tools and support. It's usually the guys who want to beat shit with a hammer and not support them properly that break them.

PA PATRIOT
11-24-13, 09:11
A Machined integral trigger guard does not look bad and appears beefy enough,

TacticalMark
11-24-13, 09:20
If I were paying for a billet lower, I would expect nothing less than integral.
This is my thought

MistWolf
11-24-13, 10:21
For myself, the question is not whether our not a billet lower has an integral trigger guard, but why am I buying a billet receiver in the first place? Receivers machined from a billet are not as strong as receivers made from forgings, are usually made from a 6 series alloy instead of 7075 usual weigh more and cost two to the times as much while offering no improvement in performance. With Aero offering a forged ambi lower, there is little reason to pay a premium price for a billet receiver

MistWolf
11-24-13, 10:26
If making a receiver with an integral trigger guard, shape it do it's knuckle friendly. One complaint I have with the trigger guard on the M&P10 is that it can uncomfortably rub the knuckle of the second finger

LewP
11-24-13, 11:49
For myself, the question is not whether our not a billet lower has an integral trigger guard, but why am I buying a billet receiver in the first place? Receivers machined from a billet are not as strong as receivers made from forgings, are usually made from a 6 series alloy instead of 7075 usual weigh more and cost two to the times as much while offering no improvement in performance. With Aero offering a forged ambi lower, there is little reason to pay a premium price for a billet receiver

I just did a quick check of Ranier's web site and every single billet lower was 7075. I did the same for Joebobs. Almost all the billet lower receivers were 7075. I say "almost" because two billet receivers on Joebobs site didn't say the Al type. One of the unidentified Al lowers was an expensive Mega .308 billet receiver. Please post your data source.

strambo
11-24-13, 12:45
Integral like the photo posted by PA Patriot. Oversized, but not silly.

_Stormin_
11-24-13, 19:34
That is my issue... The trigger guards do get a bit comically oversized...

MistWolf
11-25-13, 11:30
I just did a quick check of Ranier's web site and every single billet lower was 7075. I did the same for Joebobs. Almost all the billet lower receivers were 7075. I say "almost" because two billet receivers on Joebobs site didn't say the Al type. One of the unidentified Al lowers was an expensive Mega .308 billet receiver. Please post your data source.

Ah. Sounds like the billet makers have been making a change in alloy

Boba Fett v2
11-25-13, 12:54

I tend to agree with this.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

RGoose
11-26-13, 07:42
Integral, but nothing crazy.
Agree. Something with the same relative profile as the Magpul trigger guard.