PDA

View Full Version : 2 Broken Magpul ASAPs..

Flankenstein
11-24-13, 12:02
That's right I broke one staking last weekend (with an auto punch) Magpul promptly sent me another one out Monday. Installed the second unit and it broke in the process of staking yesterday (with the same auto punch)?

What gives? I've never broken a standard receiver end plate.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Singlestack Wonder
11-24-13, 12:04
Switch over to a Noveske or Daniel Defense QD end plate. Then focus on shooting, not whether or not your carbine will end up on the ground.

_Stormin_
11-24-13, 12:08
To actually answer the OP's question...

Nope. Never broken an end plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Grip
11-24-13, 12:30
The ring on my ASAP broke (split at the weld somehow)

I cut it off and am using a piece of paracord. Been working for a few months.

Someday when i care enough ill switch to something else.

tog
11-24-13, 12:46
The ring on my ASAP broke (split at the weld somehow)

I cut it off and am using a piece of paracord. Been working for a few months.

Someday when i care enough ill switch to something else.

How does the paracord work? Can you post pics? Thanks

JS-Maine
11-24-13, 14:03

I had a short paracord section looped around the buffer tube right behind the castle nut with a small dropper loop tied off similar to a very small hangman's knot. I could then clip onto the loop with my sling. It does work in a pinch and I have a few friends who have used the same method with Tapco Intrafuse stocks for other rifles. The big downfall with this method on an AR is that the loop can ride up onto the top of the buffer tube and interfere with charging handle movement.

I'm bummed to hear the ASAP plates are this brittle as I just installed one a few months ago. I haven't had any issues myself, but I also haven't put much hurt on mine yet.

86 slo-vo
11-24-13, 15:02
I believe the ASAP's are some sort of cast.

tog
11-24-13, 15:08
I had a short paracord section looped around the buffer tube right behind the castle nut with a small dropper loop tied off similar to a very small hangman's knot. I could then clip onto the loop with my sling. It does work in a pinch and I have a few friends who have used the same method with Tapco Intrafuse stocks for other rifles. The big downfall with this method on an AR is that the loop can ride up onto the top of the buffer tube and interfere with charging handle movement.

I'm bummed to hear the ASAP plates are this brittle as I just installed one a few months ago. I haven't had any issues myself, but I also haven't put much hurt on mine yet.

Being brittle could also cause it to break when under just a little stress. That part should not break like glass. They did something wrong with the heat treatment or like 86 slo-vo said, it is a cast part.

C4IGrant
11-24-13, 15:21
They are brittle and can see how this happens. We grind our own staking tools and use a very fine (read narrow) point when staking ASAP's.

IMHO, I would go with a QD Receiver plate (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=QDPLT) and then go with the Magpul MS4 QD (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MAG509).

C4

GH41
11-24-13, 15:25
MIM?? GH

Grip
11-24-13, 16:27

Its just a loop i tied with a double knot in it to re-create the metal loop that was there. About the same size, i melted the ends of the cord to the knot, and have pulled it it very hard to gain trust in it.

I clip my MS3 right onto it.

LewP
11-25-13, 00:16
Paracord stretches and abrades. I can't see it being anything more than a temporary solution.

It is probably quieter than the ASAP.

tw4
11-25-13, 00:29
Noveske qd end plate light lo pro -

lunchbox
11-25-13, 00:48
I love my "I kick Hippies" SLAP plate http://www.ikickhippies.com/ . Runs about 20$ and I get to call my SBR "Hippie kicker" :cool:. Its the same design as ASAP, and wasn't sure if OP was wanting to stick to that style. If not go with one of above mentioned.

Hmac
11-25-13, 04:17
Switch over to a Noveske or Daniel Defense QD end plate. Then focus on shooting, not whether or not your carbine will end up on the ground.

The DD end plates are aluminum. I've heard of them fracturing in the staking process too.

Grip
11-25-13, 06:43
Paracord stretches and abrades. I can't see it being anything more than a temporary solution.

It is quieter, which is really nice. I havent noticed any stretching/abrading, or anything negative from the paracord yet.

Hot Holster
11-25-13, 07:02
It is quieter, which is really nice. I havent noticed any stretching/abrading, or anything negative from the paracord yet.

I liked the function of the ASAP but not the rattle, so it's been replaced.

wahoo95
11-25-13, 07:16
Sounds like over staking to me. Seems to be the case most every time I've seen this happen. You only need to move enough metal to keep the nut from backing off on its own and that's not much.

LewP
11-25-13, 10:27
IWC's QD is another option for the end plate. Mine is steel and it staked just fine.

Flankenstein
11-25-13, 10:56
Sounds like over staking to me. Seems to be the case most every time I've seen this happen. You only need to move enough metal to keep the nut from backing off on its own and that's not much.

Sounds like?

Definitely wasn't over staking the plate barley had a divot into it before it cracked...

Had I stopped NO metal would have been moved...

JS-Maine
11-25-13, 11:30
I love my "I kick Hippies" SLAP plate http://www.ikickhippies.com/ . Runs about 20$ and I get to call my SBR "Hippie kicker" :cool:. Its the same design as ASAP, and wasn't sure if OP was wanting to stick to that style. If not go with one of above mentioned.

I like the looks of that. Do you use it with an MS2? I noticed that particular sling is not listed in their "recommended slings" section.

I'm not so sure that this phenomenon with breaking ASAP plates can be entirely related to over staking. It doesn't sound like Grip broke his due to staking, but I could be wrong.

scoutfsu99
11-25-13, 11:36

I have a hard time seeing how the Magpul ASAP and the sling attachment could shred 550 cord that much.

Grip
11-25-13, 12:06
I like the looks of that. Do you use it with an MS2? I noticed that particular sling is not listed in their "recommended slings" section.

I'm not so sure that this phenomenon with breaking ASAP plates can be entirely related to over staking. It doesn't sound like Grip broke his due to staking, but I could be wrong.

I did not break mine due to staking. My ring split at the weld, or braze, or how ever they joined that ring. I cut it off with an angle grinder. Been good ever since.

The MS3 claw/jaw like attachment has not shredded, frayed, or done anything to the paracord.

I think the paracord is an upgrade to the crappy metal ring magpul put on there. If/when it breaks/gets cut, i will get a new sling mount. Until then, i don't worry about it. Its been 8 months, and its still going strong.

Boba Fett v2
11-25-13, 12:43
I might be among the minority in my opinion here, but I actually prefer the dimpled receiver extension nuts and see no issue with simply using Loctite to hold it in place once it's adequately torqued down. Add a couple of witness marks and you're GTG.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

JS-Maine
11-25-13, 12:48
I did not break mine due to staking. My ring split at the weld, or braze, or how ever they joined that ring. I cut it off with an angle grinder. Been good ever since.

I get you now. Your plate did not break like in the OP's images. Yours broke where the plate meets the part that the ring actually rides on, correct?

lunchbox
11-25-13, 12:57

I'm not so sure that this phenomenon with breaking ASAP plates can be entirely related to over staking. It doesn't sound like Grip broke his due to staking, but I could be wrong.I rarely run a single point sling setup (use 2point WOTG sling), but like having option. Liked it was all one piece, no welds, it didn't have that metal link, no moving parts, was made of carbon steel. I could give you bunch of valid reasons, but mainly I bought it so could call my SBR Hippie Kicker.... Seriously though, even looking into custom dust cover that says Hippie Kicker.---Damn Hippies!

Iraqgunz
11-25-13, 13:40
So here's a silly question. Did anyone aside from the OP who is complaining about the issue contact Magpul or their rep who is here quite often? If not, why not? Not only is it site rule but they can't address the issue if they don't know.

The_Hammer_Man
11-25-13, 15:21
I've seen this happen with a wide variety of end plates. Usually it's attributed to "over staking". Which is horse puckie.

This "can" happen if the end user over strikes their punch when staking but, it's usually due to under tempering of the end plate itself.

Most end plates are made from a temperable steel. They are heated up to eutectic then quenched to harden them. The second step is the tempering process which, in all actuality, softens them to the point that they won't break when struck or flexed.

The hardness/temper of an end plate doesn't need to be that high/hard in order for it to do it's job.

I had a batch of end plates that were too hard. The "fix", for me, was to take my torch and heat them up to a dull red then let them air quench. (Dull red means that they just barely start to turn red in a darkened room. Air quenching means that you let them cool down normally without dropping them into oil or water to speed the cooling process.)

Grip
11-25-13, 16:08
I get you now. Your plate did not break like in the OP's images. Yours broke where the plate meets the part that the ring actually rides on, correct?

No. The actual ring you attach the sling to was cracked.

Grip
11-25-13, 16:12
So here's a silly question. Did anyone aside from the OP who is complaining about the issue contact Magpul or their rep who is here quite often? If not, why not? Not only is it site rule but they can't address the issue if they don't know.

I did not contact magpul, i am not complaining. I fixed my problem.

wahoo95
11-25-13, 16:33
Sounds like?

Definitely wasn't over staking the plate barley had a divot into it before it cracked...

Had I stopped NO metal would have been moved...

Looking at the pics there appear to be stakings which 1/2 way deep into the rings. That's a bit deep in my opinion And most likely what led to them splitting. Were you staking the plate down the center or on the edge? Like I said, only a small amount of metal needs to be moved to have an effective stake. I know its hard to find fault in stuff like this but the simple fact is you've broken 2 of those and that's two more than I've ever heard of being broken. So are you doing something wrong by over staking or were you lucky enough to get the two lemons that made it coast QC?

Flankenstein
11-25-13, 18:16
Looking at the pics there appear to be stakings which 1/2 way deep into the rings. That's a bit deep in my opinion And most likely what led to them splitting. Were you staking the plate down the center or on the edge? Like I said, only a small amount of metal needs to be moved to have an effective stake. I know its hard to find fault in stuff like this but the simple fact is you've broken 2 of those and that's two more than I've ever heard of being broken. So are you doing something wrong by over staking or were you lucky enough to get the two lemons that made it coast QC?

Staking on the edge. Given the height of the asap (especially on the sides) a deeper staking is unfortunately necessary...

MarkG
11-26-13, 08:52
Staking on the edge. Given the height of the asap (especially on the sides) a deeper staking is unfortunately necessary...

I'd actually go a step further and say that an ASAP can't be staked properly because the outside diameter is to big. I have seen examples where a machinist used a jig and grinder to re-profile the outside diameter so it matched the diameter of the receiver extension nut. He then re-parkerized it and properly staked it after installation.

scoutchris
11-26-13, 19:08
I'd actually go a step further and say that an ASAP can't be staked properly because the outside diameter is to big. I have seen examples where a machinist used a jig and grinder to re-profile the outside diameter so it matched the diameter of the receiver extension nut. He then re-parkerized it and properly staked it after installation.

That's a whole lot of work for a end plate...

gun71530
11-26-13, 19:51

I use ASAPs and they stake just fine. You don't have to stake that deep for it to be effective. Stake it, add a witness mark with a paint marker, and call it a day.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Artiz
11-26-13, 22:47

Paracord has been used to attach slings for a very long time without issue.

SW CQB 45
11-26-13, 23:26
I just found a video on you tube to tie a rear sling mount.
I have not put it to any real test. I did yank on it hard and it did not twist on me and I made sure it clears the charging handle.
I want a MAD hook up but they are out of stock and until then….it will ride like this.

here is the video that gave me a guide. I left the loop with the knot against the coil to prevent it from going longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgn-o-hITgI