PDA

View Full Version : Custom AR15 .22LR

masakari
11-24-13, 14:26
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20131123_152932_271_zps18eb6e55.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20131123_152916_639_zps1497dbae.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMG_20131123_152945_803_zps24eddaa5.jpg
This thing has taken me a long time, but now I am finally finished. She has been through many different configurations along the way and from the start I honestly did not expect to go all out like I did, but well, it happens.
parts list:

CORE15 dedicated .22LR upper/barrel (16" .22LR, looks more like a 14.5" 5.56)
Bushmaster lower from my first AR
LMT LPK
AGP folding stock
Tango Down BG17 pistol grip
Magpul MBUS set
Midwest Industries SSG2 15" handguard
Midwest Industries handguards for SSG2
Harris bipod BRM with notched legs
LaRue index clips
Surefire custom light with SR07 switch
Gear Sector offset E series light mount
LaRue LT104 SPR mount
Trijicon TR24G with cat tail
Boonie Packer "better-mag" adapter with S&W M&P15-22 mags (had to trim my bolt catch spring slghtly)
Magpul RSA-QD sling mount

ffusaf23
11-24-13, 16:04
Very cool. I have an extra lower and have thought of doing a dedicated 22lr build. Are the S&W mags the more reliable than other options? What kind of accuracy do you get out of that upper? Thanks.

masakari
11-24-13, 17:59
Very cool. I have an extra lower and have thought of doing a dedicated 22lr build. Are the S&W mags the more reliable than other options? What kind of accuracy do you get out of that upper? Thanks.

The S&W mags are nice because they were designed to activate the bolt release, unlike other options, so the major benefit is the repication of AR controls. Also, I had MANY BDM mags shatter on me over time, but so far, the S&W mags have been flawlessly durable.
As far as accuracy, it seems comparable to my ARs between 0-100 yards. I havent shot it beyond that yet, I would like to see how the .22LR round does at 200-300 one of these days.
Reliability has been good, but with remington golden bullet (crap ammo) I get the occasional FTF and FTLB, no biggie.
NOTE: with the AGP stock, I had many issues and constant FTFs at first, and then i discovered that the forward pressure set screw (center screw) was in too much. once I backed it off, the performance improved dramatically.

Airhasz
11-24-13, 19:46
Very, very nice! I'd have to name it Overkill...lol, I'd like to see how your 5.56 is set up after checking out that 22lr.

ffusaf23
11-25-13, 09:33
The S&W mags are nice because they were designed to activate the bolt release, unlike other options, so the major benefit is the repication of AR controls. Also, I had MANY BDM mags shatter on me over time, but so far, the S&W mags have been flawlessly durable.
As far as accuracy, it seems comparable to my ARs between 0-100 yards. I havent shot it beyond that yet, I would like to see how the .22LR round does at 200-300 one of these days.
Reliability has been good, but with remington golden bullet (crap ammo) I get the occasional FTF and FTLB, no biggie.
NOTE: with the AGP stock, I had many issues and constant FTFs at first, and then i discovered that the forward pressure set screw (center screw) was in too much. once I backed it off, the performance improved dramatically.

Thanks, this gives me a lot to consider when I finally start mine.