PDA

View Full Version : SR15 E3 mod 1 or wait for the keymod

tw4
11-24-13, 20:33
I see some really good prices on SR15 e3 mod1 but currently run an NSR and love the profile. Should I wait? any one have a release date or info on a price increase when available? THX

This will be my first KAC I have been running Noveske for what seems like forever.

VIP3R 237
11-24-13, 21:08
Since kac has suspended all commercial sales I'd buy what you can find. It may be a while before they start shipping to dealers again.

tw4
11-24-13, 21:28
Fair enough- and prices seem excellent now at $1999.99 is this a good price?

Palmguy
11-24-13, 21:39
Yes.

Jaysop
11-24-13, 21:48
Whoa am I out of the loop! No lore comercial sales, when did this happen?

col.1981
11-24-13, 21:54
Since kac has suspended all commercial sales I'd buy what you can find. It may be a while before they start shipping to dealers again.

Wow, hadn't heard that! Are they just trying to catch up or is there something else going on?

I am completely happy with my SR-15 mod1 and personally think the URX 3.1 is a more than adequate for my own needs. From what I've heard the URX4 its only slightly lighter and narrower than the URX 3.1 so I guess it would come down to personal preference and whether or not you'd prefer a keymod rail. And if you think you'd prefer the URX4 there's always boltcarrier.com and other good shops that'd be happy to swap them out for you.

tw4
11-24-13, 21:54
When I called Friday they did confirm no commercial sales till 2014 and the keymod release is after shot show which if you go by that could be 2 yrs after shot. lol

oef24
11-24-13, 21:55
Whoa am I out of the loop! No lore comercial sales, when did this happen?

I got wind of the no more commercial sales last week. A dealer I know immediately put a bunch of orders in just before. He is going to be getting everything he ordered but barely made it in.

O

col.1981
11-24-13, 21:55
Fair enough- and prices seem excellent now at $1999.99 is this a good price?

That's a couple hundred less than I paid for mine!

hjmpanzr
11-24-13, 22:40
Buy the rifle and replace the URX 3.1 with the URX 4. I did that with a KAC 14.5 upper. URX 3.1s aren't hard to sell. I've owned both the NSR 11 and URX 4 13". I prefer the URX 4 but my I have big mits.
KAC suspended commercial sales of complete rifles and uppers 7/1/2013. Kevin B posted it in industry section well in advance of that date. A lot of orders for uppers and rifles were placed by dealers before that date.
The suspension of sales does not include Suppressors, rails, accessories, etc. it's limited to complete rifles and uppers. KACs new QDC Suppressors are currently on form 3 to many dealers so we should start seeing them pop up.

tw4
11-24-13, 22:48
Buy the rifle and replace the URX 3.1 with the URX 4. I did that with a KAC 14.5 upper. URX 3.1s aren't hard to sell. I've owned both the NSR 11 and URX 4 13". I prefer the URX 4 but my I have big mits.
KAC suspended commercial sales of complete rifles and uppers 7/1/2013. Kevin B posted it in industry section well in advance of that date. A lot of orders for uppers and rifles were placed by dealers before that date.
The suspension of sales does not include Suppressors, rails, accessories, etc. it's limited to complete rifles and uppers. KACs new QDC Suppressors are currently on form 3 to many dealers so we should start seeing them pop up.

Did you have to replace your gas block then and which did you use?

hjmpanzr
11-24-13, 23:01
I had a DD and Geissele but went with CMMG. Doing it over I would probably use the Geissele with the pin and set screws. That said, Jack w KAC has been mounting the Urx 4 with the pinned kac gas block. don't know how he does it though.

scooter22
11-24-13, 23:22
Chill out. They're just filling gov't contracts. $1999 is an excellent price. I bought mine a earlier this year for $2200. I will be picking up a few more...

scooter22
11-24-13, 23:27
URX4 has been out for a couple of weeks. Unless you're talking about URX4 shipping installed on SR-15s.

thehun
11-24-13, 23:28
If you are set on KAC get a 3.1, me personally not a fan of how the URX 4 installs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xFRu5oWFtA

Koshinn
11-24-13, 23:32
What's interesting is that in the URX4 video (by F2S), it seems you HAVE to use a set-screw gas block if your gas block sits under the URX4. It's innovative and very neat, but I'm personally not a fan of it. I'll still take a NSR over it for now.

I know that set screw and clamp on gas blocks should be good-to-go if they sit under a rail. But I also like Noveske barrels and they come with a pinned on gas block.

edit: beaten by thehun lol

scooter22
11-24-13, 23:34
What's interesting is that in the URX4 video (by F2S), it seems you HAVE to use a set-screw gas block if your gas block sits under the URX4. It's innovative and very neat, but I'm personally not a fan of it. I'll still take a NSR over it for now.

edit: beaten by thehun lol

Why would you have to use a set screw gas block? Does it interfere with the rail as it's screwed on?

I personally think the URX4 installation is great.

Koshinn
11-24-13, 23:46
Why would you have to use a set screw gas block? Does it interfere with the rail as it's screwed on?

I personally think the URX4 installation is great.

I guess a clamp-on might work if it fits, but I wouldn't want to try hammer a taper pin through the keymod holes after the rail is installed.

hjmpanzr
11-25-13, 00:00
As mentioned above F2F (Jack) has been installing Urx 4 with the kac pinned gas block. But I don't know how he does it. Moreover he mentioned OOS that the next round of 4s will be set up so end user can use the kac pinned gas block (the reference is buried in the thread on Urx 4 in industry section).

Tzook
11-25-13, 00:05
The install is a deal breaker for me, if I were looking for one it would probably be on a pre built rifle

tw4
11-25-13, 00:23
Well maybe I'll get the rifle and hang tight for the next round of urx4 and a possible solution.
The rifle i will buy in the morning!

hjmpanzr
11-25-13, 00:35
Not a bad choice. You'll like the URX 3.1. You can always get one rifle for each rail :)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/IMG_0486_zpsf2e0af42.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hjmpanzr/media/IMG_0486_zpsf2e0af42.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

Breacher 217
11-25-13, 07:47
I don't see KAC offering the URX4 on rifles until the deplete the current inventory of 3.1's.

PatrioticDisorder
11-25-13, 08:27
I don't see KAC offering the URX4 on rifles until the deplete the current inventory of 3.1's.

I doubt that will be very difficult considering commercial sales are suspended. I came very close to buying a SR-15 this summer but opted for another DD in part because I got a great deal but also in part because I'd like to get an SR-15 with the URX4. I'm sure we'll see SR-15s on the shelves next year with URX 4 rails.

1911-A1
11-25-13, 08:45
The 3.1 is a bit of a pain in the ass to modify, but it's awesome when you get it set up the way you like it. I'd recommend getting the deluxe panel/accessory kit. It'll save you time.

mtdawg169
11-25-13, 10:37

Is this a new development? They suspended commercial orders months ago in order to catch up on their back orders with dealers instead of allowing the hole to get deeper. They gave dealers plenty of lead time to place orders before suspending commercial sales and they're still shipping product to fill those back orders.

Regarding the OP, if you're already using keymod and want to stick with it, I would wait until the Mod2 comes out next year. They have made a couple of design changes, including the gas block attachment method. I'd probably wait to see what other product improvements come along. You can always pick up a lightly used Mod1 upper now and start saving for a complete Mod2 for next year.

Boba Fett v2
11-25-13, 11:51
There's a very nice slightly used Mod1 upper in the EE for sale right now if anyone's looking. :o

OT, I prefer the 3.1 rails for several reasons. That said the new KAC SBR with integrated suppressor under development will be wearing a URX 4, and I'm looking forward to it.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

evoutfitters
11-25-13, 16:41
Hope the OP was talking about us when he mentioned pricing on the SR15E3 Mod 1 (http://www.eaglevalleyoutfitters.com/knights-armament/knights-armament-sr15-e3-mod-1-14740)... :)

1911-A1
11-25-13, 19:24
Hope the OP was talking about us when he mentioned pricing on the SR15E3 Mod 1 (http://www.eaglevalleyoutfitters.com/knights-armament/knights-armament-sr15-e3-mod-1-14740)... :)

Tombstone has them for $1899 and free shipping.

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/knights-armament/30351-sr-15-e3-mod-1-rifle-556mm-16in-30rd-black/

tw4
11-25-13, 19:42
That's a great price too I'm going to check to see if they have the plate vs the reciver qd points
I don't want the qd in the reciever - the website pic has tbem in the reciever but
most the new deliveries have the plate.

tw4
11-25-13, 19:45

I was ...... Bryan U have mine on hold

evoutfitters
11-26-13, 00:09
That's a great price too I'm going to check to see if they have the plate vs the reciver qd points
I don't want the qd in the reciever - the website pic has tbem in the reciever but
most the new deliveries have the plate.

All of our SR15s have the endplate QD sling mount. The photo is actually from the KAC press kit from Jan of this year and does not reflect the current shipping configuration.

tw4
11-26-13, 21:14
Well eagle valley outfitters matched and beat tombstones price overall and shipped it today - these guys are stand up $1914 shipped my first kac I hope my noveske's dont get jealous. Right on for all the info bros

Double3
11-27-13, 07:23
Well eagle valley outfitters matched and beat tombstones price overall and shipped it today - these guys are stand up $1914 shipped my first kac I hope my noveske's dont get jealous. Right on for all the info bros

Great price.

Enjoy the rifle.

Krusty783
11-27-13, 08:33
Great price.

Enjoy the rifle.

+1. Enjoy it Mod 1s are great rifles.

I'm waiting to get a carbine SBR with a URX 4. I'm going to get a MAMS pinned on to it, so I'll have to buy a URX4 and get it installed before it gets to me. Lawmens has pretty good prices though, so I'm waiting to order one through them once KAC starts taking orders again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

Failure2Stop
11-27-13, 08:48
As mentioned above F2F (Jack) has been installing Urx 4 with the kac pinned gas block. But I don't know how he does it. Moreover he mentioned OOS that the next round of 4s will be set up so end user can use the kac pinned gas block (the reference is buried in the thread on Urx 4 in industry section).

Getting a pinned GB under the URX4 requires patience, the right tools, and a complete refusal to accept a set-screw or alternately fastening GB ( :laugh: ).
A dimpled barrel and set-screw GB with properly applied thread adhesive is the easiest way to attack the problem.
Putting the taper pinned GB on was referred to by one of our engineers as "building a ship in a bottle" when he saw my technique.

Here's basically what one would need to do:
Install barrel and requisite shim.
Standard moly prep to upper receiver threads.
3x torque/loosen process to 60 ft/lb.
Find shim solution that puts alignment of top rail between 60 and 70.
Slide GB on.
Back URX4 off until access is gained to the taper pin holes.
Put upper receiver in clam-shell.
Put spacer between barrel and work-bench.
Clamp upper receiver clam-shell to bench (I use a huge C-clamp).
Install taper pins (may require tweaking of URX4 orientation).
Torque URX4 to 60 ft/lbs.
Set torque wrench to 70 ft/lbs and achieve alignment between upper receiver rail and top rail of URX4.
Drop gas tube past GB or go through the upper.
Slide tube into GB (ensure proper orientation) and pin it in place.
Perform standard post-install checks.

Alternately, as the GB taper pins are under the bottom 45 degree section of keymod, one could simply remove a little material from the keymod slot and do a direct attack. Most likely that area will get covered by a panel anyway, up to the user if it's worth the effort to maintain a pristine rail.

There is not an alteration to the URX4 in the works that I know of that will permit direct access to taper pins. We will be using an alternate method of securing the gas block that is superior to taper pins or set screws.

swosanity
11-27-13, 11:12

Man that is a sweet deal. I am tempted to pull the trigger on one myself.

Double3
11-27-13, 14:09
I just saw a new one in the EE for a great price.

WOW I guess there were 2. One sold already.

mtdawg169
11-27-13, 15:50
I just saw a new one in the EE for a great price.

WOW I guess there were 2. One sold already.

Those are / were both smoking deals!

JChops
11-27-13, 17:03
We will be using an alternate method of securing the gas block that is superior to taper pins or set screws.

Standard coil pin with really tight tolerances? Like the Geissele SGB?

Understandable if you're keeping it under wraps until SHOT.

Sounds good.

mtdawg169
11-27-13, 17:04
Standard coil pin with really tight tolerances? Like the Geissele SGB?

Understandable if you're keeping it under wraps until SHOT.

Sounds good.

Something tells me it's something completely different. I just wonder if it will be user serviceable?

tw4
11-27-13, 17:14
Dang and one guy is in Colorado!
Well I know I'm getting one with out the gay
( no offense) QD on the reciever which was very important
I tried a vltor rifle with one and it sucked functionally
And aesthetically