PDA

View Full Version : Factory precision AR options

gunnut284
11-26-13, 14:18
I'm looking to determine my best options in a factory AR type precision rifle for LE marksman work. I will have to make a recommendation on a replacement in a few months and want to be prepared. We currently have .308 bolt guns but we have decided a AR based platform option would be more useful for what we do. My department is pretty liability cautious so it has to be ready to go out of the box, no significant modifications (so factory trigger and stock have to be acceptable). What brands/models should I be looking at? .223/5.56 or .308 are options.

Possible options I've identified so far:
KAC SR-15 LPR (just looking at the specs this is probably my first choice at the moment)
LMT MWS or MRP LM8
Sig 716 Precision (I know the Sigs aren't as highly thought of but my Dept likes Sigs)
RRA ATH

I'm sure there are other good options I haven't narrowed down yet, such as models from Noveske or POF. Maybe the BCM RECCE-16 Precision though I haven't seen specs yet.

I'm taking into consideration some factors such as I know Sig and RRA are thought to be good brands by those who approve these type of things. Price isn't a significant factor as long as I can justify it. I haven't considered Larue since the lead time is so great right now and the barrel situation. If these issue are resolved by the time this purchase is ready I may consider them.

Onyx Z
11-26-13, 15:30
SR-15 without a doubt. Has all the best options straight from the factory.

tom12.7
11-26-13, 16:28
+1 on the KAC LPR.

calengor
11-26-13, 18:14
Is there a reason why some of your choices are 5.56 and some are 7.62? Why aren't you considering the KAC SR-25?

sva01
11-26-13, 19:51
Have you looked at Noveske? They are well regarded for their barrels, with good reviews of their stainless for accuracy work.

gunnut284
11-26-13, 22:23
Is there a reason why some of your choices are 5.56 and some are 7.62? Why aren't you considering the KAC SR-25?

For our use the .223 should be sufficient and we will have some .308s as well. I am looking at .308 options as well though I'm not sure which SR-25 would be most appropriate.

gunnut284
11-26-13, 22:25
Have you looked at Noveske? They are well regarded for their barrels, with good reviews of their stainless for accuracy work.

Noveske certainly may be an option I just haven't checked them out enough to know their offerings.

Koshinn
11-26-13, 23:39
I love Noveske products.

With no modifications, I'd take a KAC LPR.

The main reason is the trigger. The KAC 2-Stage is close to a Geissele SSA. Noveske gives you an ACT trigger, which is no slouch, but not what I'd want for precision work.
SRs also come with more precise BUIS (narrower front sight post and rear is adjustable for range) and ambi controls for the most part.

bp7178
11-27-13, 00:09
I would take the KAC LPR because it uses a cut-rifled Kreiger barrel.

A trigger is a component in which you can easily change, sights even more so. A barrel is the heart of the system and probably, in the case of precision rifles for sure, the most expensive component.

hombre
11-30-13, 22:29
Finally got my PREDATOBR, and it looks good. I've only had a chance to shoot one 5 round group with bipod on very uneven terrain (less than ideal shooting spot) and it was sub MOA. Not sure exact range but would guess 130 yards, group was exactly and 1 inch at that distance. Sample of one but off to a good start. Shot with 175 FGMM. I'm breaking in the barrel and break in isn't done yet. No problems with cycling and I like the trigger. I will probably change out the RAT stock for something I can get a real solid cheek weld on. Might use the SAPR on a magpul.

2ac
12-04-13, 13:46
Centurion Arms DMR..

kevN
12-04-13, 21:22
My SPR upper is am 18" Larue Stealth purchased in '09, which seems to be a little forgotten in the light of all their new guns/etc but has always been rock solid. I also have a Noveske N6 .308 which has been great, but is not in production anymore.

If I were in the market today I would just go with a BCM recce with 16" stainless barrel.

Wild Geese 1
01-01-14, 15:18
I'm looking to determine my best options in a factory AR type precision rifle for LE marksman work. I will have to make a recommendation on a replacement in a few months and want to be prepared. We currently have .308 bolt guns but we have decided a AR based platform option would be more useful for what we do. My department is pretty liability cautious so it has to be ready to go out of the box, no significant modifications (so factory trigger and stock have to be acceptable). What brands/models should I be looking at? .223/5.56 or .308 are options.

Possible options I've identified so far:
KAC SR-15 LPR (just looking at the specs this is probably my first choice at the moment)
LMT MWS or MRP LM8
Sig 716 Precision (I know the Sigs aren't as highly thought of but my Dept likes Sigs)
RRA ATH

I'm sure there are other good options I haven't narrowed down yet, such as models from Noveske or POF. Maybe the BCM RECCE-16 Precision though I haven't seen specs yet.

I'm taking into consideration some factors such as I know Sig and RRA are thought to be good brands by those who approve these type of things. Price isn't a significant factor as long as I can justify it. I haven't considered Larue since the lead time is so great right now and the barrel situation. If these issue are resolved by the time this purchase is ready I may consider them.

If you want extreme accuracy, along with reliability take a look at LES BAER!!!!!!!!!!

JD42
01-07-14, 14:22
Whats your buget. High end Knight Sr25. The LMT is great for the money.

rljatl
01-07-14, 17:59
Centurion Arms DMR..

I have a Centurion Arms MK12 upper with an 18" barrel that is a laser. Already set up for a sound suppressor, too. I barely try and still get 3/8" five shot groups at 100 yards. If I really tried, I am sure it could do better. That's with a Geissele High Speed DMR trigger.

thmpr
01-07-14, 23:34
JP rifles is consistently accurate out of the box. I have 5 JP (5.56 and 308) - all are sub-moa.

hombre
01-11-14, 11:55
Had some more range time with the TOBR and I'm very happy with it. Last trip to the range it put 9 consecutive shots into .6 inches (FGMM 175) at 100 yards. The first shot in that 10 shot group was a bit low so the actual group was slightly less than 1 inch. Haven't really settled on a handload for it yet but have had pretty good results with homemade as well. The AR Gold trigger is fantastic, I like it even more than the Giessele's although they are plenty nice too. So far I've used HSM, Hornady, Federal and Black Hills along with handloads and all have functioned fine. The barrel is a "field grade". I'm in no hurry at all to replace it with the match grade. On the break in this barrel had very little copper fouling, less than any of the match barrels I've used. It is hard on the brass, which is probably par for the course with a 308 semi.