PDA

View Full Version : Bests Muzzle Brake on the Market???

docsherm
11-26-13, 14:59
I have been looking for a really good muzzle brake. I am not too concerned about much except how well it reduces climb. Noise and blast is not an issue. I was thinking of the BattleComp but I do not want to over look one that I did not think of.
Just for background it will go on an 18” chrome lined barrel that will have a high number of round going through it so I will need one that will last.

Thanks for the help.

CRT2
11-26-13, 15:06
Have you looked at: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Rapid-Thread-Muzzle-Brake-Whisper-Suppressor/productinfo/SP-RTMB/.

scoutchris
11-26-13, 15:11
At the end of the day, they all get compared to the A2, and people almost inevitably return to it. Just a thought. I was going to go BC, but I couldn't justify the price for what you get compared to what was on it.

B Cart
11-26-13, 15:29
If you use the search button, you will find a bunch of threads on the subject.

In my opinion, it's hard to beat the PWS FSC556 or the Surefire MB556K. I have used many breaks, and in my opinion, these two do the best job of reducing muzzle rise and felt recoil.

Swag
11-26-13, 15:37
Just throwing this out there. I wonder if this sounds crazy...

Develop a dedicated Muzzle Brake device that attaches to a dedicated Flash Hider equipped with a QD mount ala Sound Suppressor. Anything like this out there? If not, could this work?

Onyx Z
11-26-13, 15:38
I have an AAC 51T Blackout Muzzle Brake on my precision AR. When firing unsupressed, the muzzle barely even jumps off the target. I like it so much, I plan to get one for a different rifle soon as well.

tom12.7
11-26-13, 16:01
Maybe this would be an application that suits the giant JP tank brake?
I wouldn't overlook some of the 3 gunner brakes either.
What kind of shooting are you going to be doing?

B!GD
11-26-13, 16:11
Rainier XTC fits the bill. I just range tested a couple weeks ago on another forum. I really liked it for staying on target... 60 bucks and 90 day money back guarantee. More noise and side flash but stays on target way better than the A2

Sent from my GS3

docsherm
11-26-13, 16:15
I will use it for Intermediate range (100 to 500 meters) all from a bipod. I do not know much about 3 gun stuff. I will have to look at them.
I use an AAC 51T brake on my SPR. I like it but this rifle will not be suppressed so I was looking at all of my options.

I was thinking about the AAC 5.56MM Muzzle Brake - SHORTY:

seen here:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2744

Has anyone used one?

Thanks

tom12.7
11-26-13, 16:17
I wouldn't use an open brake off a bipod, too much blast and blows crap everywhere.

bulbvivid
11-26-13, 16:25
I do not know much about 3 gun stuff.

If you're looking for the best pure brake—as opposed to a "tactical" brake like the BC—you probably want to look closely at what the 3-gunners are using. Those guys want the flattest shooting rifle they can get. This thread on the Enos forums could help with some options: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182608&hl=muzzle%20brake

The Enos forums might also be a good place to find some used so you could play with a few and find the one you like, and then resell the ones you don't.

Failure2Stop
11-26-13, 16:34
Application?
What do you need it to do that an A2 doesn't?
What negatives are you willing to accept?

I ask these things because you are indicating opposing applications.
Guns shot from close to the ground (bipod) are generally being used for mid to long-range stuff, and as noted above, the ports that effectively pull the gun away from you (braking) tend to push a lot of dirt/dust (depending on ground), that makes accurately self-spotting a bit more difficult.

Now, if the application is 3-gun/competitive "speed" shooting, the brake helps you push a lot of lead with decent precision primarily from the standing/moving position.

If the application is primarily precision, I would encourage you to first learn how to use (read load) a bipod, and see how much disturbance of the ground you see with your current setup.
Dudes have been shooting .308 through .338 bolt guns and self-spotting with a properly built position for a long time.
If you need more recoil dampening I would first experiment with an A5 type RE/spring/buffer. They do good work with absolutely no increase to the front blast that your rifle is putting off.

All that said, the most effective pure brake/comp is probably the Miculek. It will save you considerable cake compared to the devices that are also intended to be suppressor mounts.
A good example is the KAC MAMS. Very effective brake with less side/bottom blast than comparable devices, however, it is significantly more expensive due to the precision machining needed to make it an effective suppressor mount (the cost of machining all those little holes to mitigate blast and flash is also a factor of the price at the consumer level).
If signature reduction/blast mitigation/lateral shooter consideration are not factors, the big brakes with big chambers will do the most.

scooter22
11-26-13, 16:35
Griffin Armament M4SD II. Possibly better than a BC, and cheaper.

tom12.7
11-26-13, 16:37
Agree with F2S 100%

docsherm
11-26-13, 19:49
The application is a Simi-LMG (or what it should have been). Large amounts of rounds as an area weapon. It is more of something that I have always wanted to build since I first fired a Colt (Canadian Diemaco) LMG. I hate the A2 and every thing about it. 18" barrel because I want a rifle length gas system with an A1 stock.

So I am looking for the most effective brake to put he most rounds on target in high volumes of fire.

Failure2Stop
11-26-13, 19:54
The application is a Simi-LMG (or what it should have been). Large amounts of rounds as an area weapon. It is more of something that I have always wanted to build since I first fired a Colt (Canadian Diemaco) LMG. I hate the A2 and every thing about it. 18" barrel because I want a rifle length gas system with an A1 stock.

So I am looking for the most effective brake to put he most rounds on target in high volumes of fire.

For sustained automatic fire you need to drop the rate of fire to below 600 rounds per minute to optimize control. Muzzle devices don't really work on high volume automatic fire.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

plouffedaddy
11-26-13, 19:55
I have been looking for a really good muzzle brake. I am not too concerned about much except how well it reduces climb. Noise and blast is not an issue. I was thinking of the BattleComp but I do not want to over look one that I did not think of.
Just for background it will go on an 18” chrome lined barrel that will have a high number of round going through it so I will need one that will last.

Thanks for the help.

With that as the criteria, then my vote is Lantac Dragon. Here's my review of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxt9QAzfQs

plouffedaddy
11-26-13, 19:55
Delete

Steel head
11-26-13, 20:28
Rainier XTC fits the bill. I just range tested a couple weeks ago on another forum. I really liked it for staying on target... 60 bucks and 90 day money back guarantee. More noise and side flash but stays on target way better than the A2

Sent from my GS3

I recently put one of these on my AR.
I was impressed especially with 5.56 pressure ammo.

houdini23
11-27-13, 05:44
With that as the criteria, then my vote is Lantac Dragon. Here's my review of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxt9QAzfQs

I've got one of these and while I like it it will blind you in low light situations. It is a fire breather!

My favorite that I have tried is the Miculek brake. And for the cost its a great value.

Thump_rrr
11-27-13, 10:39
On 18" barrels with rifle length gas I have tried the Stag 3G, the Miculek, and the JP.
The Miculek edges out the JP by a slight margin.
I have also tried an M249 with a Surefire brake and it shot dead flat on full auto.

I will be adding a Surefire to my arsenal.

ColtSeavers
11-27-13, 15:46
If muzzle rise and longevity are your only real concerns, then perhaps this might be the ticket?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/448963/dpms-muzzle-brake-panther-with-10-holes-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel-matte

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/448/448963.jpg

With no true baffle to worry about collecting crud or wearing away combined with the ports only on the top sides (and at only $19) it seems like it would fit the bill.

mtdawg169
11-27-13, 17:13
For sustained automatic fire you need to drop the rate of fire to below 600 rounds per minute to optimize control. Muzzle devices don't really work on high volume automatic fire.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Jack, I'm curious about this, as I know nothing about high volume automatic fire. What about this application makes a muzzle device ineffective? Honest curiosity.

BangBang77
11-27-13, 20:26
Doc

I guess I'm somewhat confused?

So you are wanting a muzzle brake to mitigate muzzle climb and you're shooting from a bipod? I would think that muzzle rise would be more of a concern where the rifle would be fired primarily offhand. In the prone off a bipod is only going to kick up unnecessary dust.

YMMV?

shane_eld
11-28-13, 13:22
Hello all I am new to the forum but have shot guns for years. On my Bcm mid length, I wanted to tune it for the lowest recoil as possible and with the right ammo and my setup it has a little more than a 22 long rifle. The muzzle break I used was the FSC 556. It was around 100 dollars and worth every penny. It works very well but is louder than hell. I dont have any experience with any other muzzle break but I know this one does the job very well.

jb1911
11-28-13, 13:48
Rainier Arms has the VC-1 on sale for $25. I couldn't resist.

Bello
11-28-13, 16:53
I really like my gamma vg6 556 brake kinda loud as all brakes are but controls muzzle climb well

Boba Fett v2
11-28-13, 21:30
Application?
What do you need it to do that an A2 doesn't?
What negatives are you willing to accept?

I ask these things because you are indicating opposing applications.
Guns shot from close to the ground (bipod) are generally being used for mid to long-range stuff, and as noted above, the ports that effectively pull the gun away from you (braking) tend to push a lot of dirt/dust (depending on ground), that makes accurately self-spotting a bit more difficult.

Now, if the application is 3-gun/competitive "speed" shooting, the brake helps you push a lot of lead with decent precision primarily from the standing/moving position.

If the application is primarily precision, I would encourage you to first learn how to use (read load) a bipod, and see how much disturbance of the ground you see with your current setup.
Dudes have been shooting .308 through .338 bolt guns and self-spotting with a properly built position for a long time.
If you need more recoil dampening I would first experiment with an A5 type RE/spring/buffer. They do good work with absolutely no increase to the front blast that your rifle is putting off.

All that said, the most effective pure brake/comp is probably the Miculek. It will save you considerable cake compared to the devices that are also intended to be suppressor mounts.
A good example is the KAC MAMS. Very effective brake with less side/bottom blast than comparable devices, however, it is significantly more expensive due to the precision machining needed to make it an effective suppressor mount (the cost of machining all those little holes to mitigate blast and flash is also a factor of the price at the consumer level).
If signature reduction/blast mitigation/lateral shooter consideration are not factors, the big brakes with big chambers will do the most.

Shooting with the KAC MAMS will increase the probably of an erection and could potentially negate the need for ED meds.

og556
11-28-13, 22:42
KAC MAMS is hands down the best that I have shot with. The muzzle doesn't move.

I've tried various brakes and devices from PWS to AAC and Surefire. Each has its pros and cons. The MAMS doesn't move when I shoot it, no annoying concussion or side blast, mitigates muzzle movement in any position, and doesn't flash like a pure brake.

It may not be as effective as a pure comp brake or the Surefire MB556 in terms of muzzle rise but those have other cons which make them less desirable in the grand scheme of things unless you are using a suppressor.

tom12.7
11-29-13, 17:04
It's hard to beat a MAMS considering how well it deals with blast and flash.

Joe Mamma
11-30-13, 07:06
Hello all I am new to the forum but have shot guns for years. On my Bcm mid length, I wanted to tune it for the lowest recoil as possible and with the right ammo and my setup it has a little more than a 22 long rifle. The muzzle break I used was the FSC 556. It was around 100 dollars and worth every penny. It works very well but is louder than hell. I dont have any experience with any other muzzle break but I know this one does the job very well.

I use a PWS FSC556 too. It does a great job at controlling muzzle rise and the loudness doesn't bother me. It's standard on some of the FN SCARs. Here is a video of one on a M249 that always makes me smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKiKZiIj_do

Joe Mamma

Glock30
11-30-13, 11:23
I have been looking for a really good muzzle brake. Thanks for the help.

PWS FSC556 :dance3:

richiecotite
12-01-13, 08:46

I'll second this.

mtdawg169
12-01-13, 12:23
I still don't understand why anyone would want a muzzle break on a weapon that will be used for "high volumes of area fire"? A brake is going to erode, especially under the use described here. Additionally, it will keep the muzzle more stable, which sort of defeats the purpose of an MG / LMG. Suppressive "area fire" implicates that the rounds down range will cover a larger area. So, what purpose would this gun actually serve? If you do actually want a brake, I'd pick something with large, thick baffles and is made from a good hard steel. Maybe even something that is finished with melonite in order to get as much life out of it as possible.

Boba Fett v2
12-01-13, 12:43
I'll second this.

GA makes a very good comp for the money. I won't even lie. Hard to justify spending extra coin for the BC when the GA offers the same or better performance for less. If it weren't for me being a KAC whore I wouldn't have given up the Griffin comp for the MAMS.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

Boba Fett v2
12-01-13, 12:49
I still don't understand why anyone would want a muzzle break on a weapon that will be used for "high volumes of area fire"? A brake is going to erode, especially under the use described here. Additionally, it will keep the muzzle more stable, which sort of defeats the purpose of an MG / LMG. Suppressive "area fire" implicates that the rounds down range will cover a larger area. So, what purpose would this gun actually serve? If you do actually want a brake, I'd pick something with large, thick baffles and is made from a good hard steel. Maybe even something that is finished with melonite in order to get as much life out of it as possible.

Same can be said for MDs like the Noveske KX3 and similar Krink style devices WRT erosion. Those thing get eaten up pretty quick.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

Stugotz
12-01-13, 14:02
I have tried a number of different muzzle brakes but the Surefire MB556K is far and away my favorite. I think as others have stated, this would do the job for you.

tom12.7
12-01-13, 14:44
The Surefire muzzle brakes control the muzzle very well, but the blast and flash can be intense. I can't stand to be around them, especially on shorter barrels.

Swag
01-04-14, 22:25
Just throwing this out there. I wonder if this sounds crazy...

Develop a dedicated Muzzle Brake device that attaches to a dedicated Flash Hider equipped with a QD mount ala Sound Suppressor. Anything like this out there? If not, could this work?

Just seen this...

Modular Muzzle Device (http://soldiersystems.net/2014/01/03/announcing-sierra-hotel-manufacturing-under-the-guidance-of-jamie-wehmeyer/)

A little too flashy but pretty much answers my question.

l8apex
01-04-14, 22:46
Had a SF, same experience. For competition it would be ideal. Working in a environment with others, too much lateral blast. Running Battle Comps now.

It's the Indian, not the Arrow.

WAR FACE
01-05-14, 00:20
Something that I think has not been addressed is where the device projects flash in low light. I had a chance to compare a PWS FSC556 to Battle Comp at night. While the BC has less signature than the PWS it projects it up obscuring line of sight more where as the PWS projects from the sides. Over all I'd say the Battle Comp is still my favorite.

Caeser25
01-05-14, 08:23

Their Flashcomp is the best bang for your buck. No muzzle rise whatsoever, almost like shooting a .22 combined with Sprinco blue and h1. It has adequate flash suppression.

I've also owned the Rainier Xtc, pws fsc, Midwest Industries, yhm phantom. Midwest Industries gets the nod for #2. The Midwest has better flash reduction than the a2 and is under $30. You have to play around timing it to get it just right. Side blast is a bit better than most brakes.

Brahmzy
01-05-14, 11:01
So when is someone going to do an exhaustive, scientific comparison of these things? And keep it updated?
Surely a simple bench setup with sensors for recoil pressure, muzzle flip etc. would be feasible. A benchmark for MDs, if you will.
It could help the industry IMO by driving creativity and ingenuity with accountability. This is done on so many other types of products, but not really gun parts. It's all about opinions, here say, hype etc. About all that's done is occasional dark photos showing flash performance, and there's not much science seen there - photos can be skewed and timed.

Maybe part of the sales are the hype of a new product or design. Everybody has to try it out, regardless of any factual data. Maybe that would hurt the industry. But the metrics I'd be interested in are sound pressure (DBA meter at maybe 2 set distances), rearward recoil pressure, upward, downward and side-side muzzle movement pressure, side air pressure (blast), and flash (shape, brightness etc.) These would be consistent known-good measurement criteria that don't change, year to year as these things are released. The findings from these could then determine the better of two or more competing products.

It could be a review site with paid advertisement and I'm sure the MDs would be comp'd by the manufacturers. Just a thought. I like measurable metrics, not opinions. Opinions usually have agendas.

evi1joe
01-05-14, 15:32
Here is another option (the ferfrans comp with a QD blast deflector)--I wish I could get a deflector for the Lantac:
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/12/13/ferfrans-cqb-modular-muzzle-brake-system/

Blast deflectors (for those times when you use it inside or on a range close to a sensitive person) have been around for YHM and kinda AAC, but not Surefire (!?!):
http://www.simplisticshootingsolutions.com/Products.php

I LOVE the idea of a brake that's as good as the SF MB556 or Lantac Dragon, BUT that comes with a FLASH SUPPRESSING QD deflector!?! (hint hint: lantac or surefire)

ON A RELATED NOTE: How much will I annoy guys at Carbine classes if I take a gun with a Lantac or SF MB556 (we're all adult shooters with ear-protection, and we're not stacking up and firing on top of each other)??? I'm leaning towards the BCM comp mod 1 just because it seems more polite to fellow students even though I've been a SF brake user for like 5 years (and am looking hard at the lantac dragon--which seems to have MAYBE less concussion/noise). I don't find any bad after I hear 5rds and get used to it.

Ops
01-17-14, 02:32
vortex?

sva01
01-17-14, 05:44
Have you seen this:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

So when is someone going to do an exhaustive, scientific comparison of these things? And keep it updated?
Surely a simple bench setup with sensors for recoil pressure, muzzle flip etc. would be feasible. A benchmark for MDs, if you will.
It could help the industry IMO by driving creativity and ingenuity with accountability. This is done on so many other types of products, but not really gun parts. It's all about opinions, here say, hype etc. About all that's done is occasional dark photos showing flash performance, and there's not much science seen there - photos can be skewed and timed.

Maybe part of the sales are the hype of a new product or design. Everybody has to try it out, regardless of any factual data. Maybe that would hurt the industry. But the metrics I'd be interested in are sound pressure (DBA meter at maybe 2 set distances), rearward recoil pressure, upward, downward and side-side muzzle movement pressure, side air pressure (blast), and flash (shape, brightness etc.) These would be consistent known-good measurement criteria that don't change, year to year as these things are released. The findings from these could then determine the better of two or more competing products.

It could be a review site with paid advertisement and I'm sure the MDs would be comp'd by the manufacturers. Just a thought. I like measurable metrics, not opinions. Opinions usually have agendas.