PDA

View Full Version : Why can't shotgun ammo be more compact?

G19A3
11-27-13, 22:15
I was looking at a round of Federal 12 gauge LE low-recoil slug in the clear grayish plastic shell. It seems there is a ton of wasted space. Almost 1/3 of its length, which is taken up by an accordion-type of plastic spacer.

I realize the dimensions of the current 12 gauge round is due to it originally being designed for black powder, which takes up more space to achieve the same velocities. Very similar to the extra space in a .38 Special cartridge. I understand modern .38 Spl rounds cannot be shortened (for efficiency purposes) to prevent loading into weaker .38 Colt chambered guns.

But why can't modern 12 gauge rounds be shortened (and thereby lightened) without sacrificing velocity/capability? Modern shotguns can also be made shorter and lighter as well.

Mr blasty
11-27-13, 22:32
That spacer is a wad and is important to keep the load from getting crushed on firing from the recoil.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

williejc
11-27-13, 22:50
Let's say the slug in your example weighs 1oz. A 1oz shot charge would take up more shell case room than the slug because there are spaces between pellets. Increasing charge weights up through 11/2ozs takes up even more space. Since about 1959, plastic wads replaced cardboard and felt ones. This change resulted in more even patterns. Plastic wads can require more space than cardboard or felt wads. In your example the accordion shaped portion of the plastic wad serves as a shock absorber to lessen deformity. Usually shot charge weight determines which wad within a brand. And don't forget that shotgun powders vary in burning rate and density. Powder space becomes another variable in amount of case volume occupied.

Manufacturers incorporated plastic cases and plastic wads at the same time. Winchester innovated the idea.

usmcvet
11-28-13, 07:03
It has been done.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/255579/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-5-8-oz-7-1-2-shot-box-of-20

Looks like you need to use a 1300. I have a buddy with one of these, he showed me the short shells.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/ksg/shotgun/

I was not interested so didn't look any further.

The_War_Wagon
11-28-13, 08:48
They DO make it more compact. It's called, ".410 gauge." :dance3:

Redbeardsong
11-28-13, 09:31
Magtech makes some short buckshot shells like that, for LE/defensive purposes.

G19A3
11-28-13, 16:14
I was thinking more along the lines of a standardized modern upgrade of the 12 gauge shell (with standardized weapons) without sacrificing capability. A 70mm (2 3/4) shell with modern propellants and construction in a 40 or 50mm length. Ammo and weapons would be much lighter. Sorta like M1 Garand's 30.06 modernized (shortened and lightened) to .308, while retaining same capability.

usmcvet
11-28-13, 16:51
I was thinking more along the lines of a standardized modern upgrade of the 12 gauge shell (with standardized weapons) without sacrificing capability. A 70mm (2 3/4) shell with modern propellants and construction in a 40 or 50mm length. Ammo and weapons would be much lighter.

Not a bad idea but it would be a nightmare in reality. Changing receivers would be the biggest issue I'd see. The reason I like my 12GA is it's standardized. 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" shells all work in one gun. Not sure if 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" would work in my 870's. Anyone know?
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/-2-1_2-2-1_4-Ammunition-/products/188/

GYates
11-30-13, 20:43
Like the Aquila stuff? I've seen it but never had any expeirience with it. I'm not sure how it performs.

williejc
11-30-13, 20:58
I've tried the short Aquila in a Mossberg 500, 870, and Win 1300 with unreliable results. The shell will fall through the Mossberg shell lifter. In the other two feeding depends on pumping speed and is not 100%. Some say that it works in the 1300, but I disagree. I see no use for it other than occasional pest shooting. If light recoil is desired for pest shooting, a light target load from a major manufacturer would be cheaper and reliable. The little round is as loud as the big ones.