PDA

View Full Version : SPR build for Paul Howe's Urban Marksman Course

Iraq Ninja
05-09-08, 07:02
I recently came home on leave to attend Paul Howe’s (CSAT) Urban Marksman (sniper) course and needed a rifle. I decided to put together something like an SPR for this event. I was the only non LEO at the course, which was closed to civilians.

18 inch , 1/8 twist Lilja/Compass Point SPR barrel with Ion Bond coating.
Larue gas block
Vltor Mur upper
Precision Reflex Long carbon forend
Bobro Bipod
LMT lower with Geissele two stage trigger
Stock was a freebie from Magpul.
Nightforce 2.5 – 10x

I was shooting Prvi 75 grain match ammo that performed quiet well.

The Nightforce scope was excellent. Only problem was that the center dot is 1.5 MOA and we were zeroing in on a 1 MOA black square. My tightest groups were just under .75 MOA but I suspect it shoots better than I can run it. I had no problems making quick hits out to 500 with this scope, and it was very fast at hitting movers at 100.

The bobro bipod worked great, and drew a lot of attention from the other students.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Gun%20stuff/spr.jpg

Cold Zero
05-09-08, 07:12
Nice set up. Nice stock at a great price:D . The Nightforce 2.5-10X is quite popular and a good value. Enjoy your new blaster.

How about a few words about the course, or an AAR?

Snake
05-09-08, 13:34
very nice. if I may ask, where did you get the barrel? MSTN.biz?

Cyrus

Iraq Ninja
05-09-08, 19:19
I will work up an AAR for the course.

The barrel is from MSTN. It came with a "matching" bolt, but I used a bolt carrier group from Bravo Company, that Denny's gun had coated with Ion Bond. Not sure how they match bolts, but this one seems to be working well.

The Magpul stock worked like a charm. I have another one on my M4 back in the sandbox that I have been running for the last 3 months with no issues. I have also been using PMags over there for the past year and they have been great.

Shihan
05-09-08, 21:48
Did you paint the Bobro bipod or did it come in that color? BTW one hell of a shooter you got there?

docsherm
05-09-08, 22:50
Very nice. How was the weight during the class? Does the bi pod weight more or less than a Harris?

Iraq Ninja
05-10-08, 14:09
Shihan,

I painted it with Rust-Oleum camouflage Tan, since I will be using it back in Iraq.

Doc,

Not sure what the weight is, but it is very comfortable and well balanced. The handguards were well worth the money. Much better than the chunky rail systems I tend to dislike.

AAR is now posted in the training section...

Cold Zero
05-10-08, 20:39
AAR is now posted in the training section...

I.N., that was fast, thank you.

Iraq Ninja
07-03-08, 07:07
I guess you could call this my 2nd build. I brought the scope and bipod back with me to Iraq. Magpul donated the stock and mags. The upper was purchased already built, but there are little details about it other than the PRI forearm. Not sure what the twist rate is, but it shoots the issued Mk 262 Mod 1 well, a bit under 1 MOA.

The lower is a standard Colt M4. Only thing that needs work is the trigger.
I did the paint job, but could not paint the lower since it is an issued weapon.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Gun%20stuff/spriniraq.jpg

tinman44
07-03-08, 07:38
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Gun%20stuff/spriniraq.jpg

just wondering but how many cell phones does it take to make a call :p

Iraq Ninja
07-03-08, 09:47
Well, we got VHF, UHF, sat phone, cell phone, and a transponder. :). Oh, and Copenhagen to help keep you awake on those long drives...

Face_N_The_Crowd
07-03-08, 10:02
The Nightforce scope was excellent. Only problem was that the center dot is 1.5 MOA and we were zeroing in on a 1 MOA black square. My tightest groups were just under .75 MOA but I suspect it shoots better than I can run it.

I am sure you know this, were instructed as such, and probably do so already but - *if* there was the desire or need to shoot a pin point shot / group - you can always (subtract) adjust for 1/2 the size of the dot or 3/4 MOA and use the top of the dot as the aim point.

Nice rig.

grappler
07-03-08, 17:10
I like the bar code...:D

Velcro
07-08-08, 08:50
Love all those MODS to that issued gun.

Must not work for State

LonghunterCO
07-11-08, 08:00
What is the barrel length on the 2nd build?

Looks great by the way.

KevinB
07-11-08, 12:25
Nice stick.

You should have told me you needed a can ;)

Iraq Ninja
07-13-08, 12:37
Long,

I think it is 16, but I never measured it :). I still have no idea who made the upper, but all I know is that it shoots as good as my one back home.

KevinB,

Can... I guess you mean Copenhagen? I was hoping you meant the other kind of can that goes on the end of the rifle!

Anyhow, here is a new pic taken by my trunk monkey as we are loading up to leave a venue today. I found some more krylon and painted the scope up a bit.

I have been trying out the new Fastmag pouches, but I don't like em for this kind of work.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/july13johnlowres.jpg

KevinB
07-13-08, 22:58
I meant GemTech HALO...
I got rid of two when the Army did not want me having them.

Iraq Ninja
07-14-08, 00:12
Keep me in mind if you know anyone with a can for sale or trade...

pstrauss
07-14-08, 16:22
Iraq Ninja, What are your impressions with the Ion Bond finish on the barrel so far?

SWATcop556
07-14-08, 19:23
Very nice looking boom stick IN.

Stay safe over there and thank you for your work.