PDA

View Full Version : Dillon first press

B!GD
11-29-13, 22:37
I am a firm believer in buying quality, years of reliability in my investments. That said, I have concluded I will be purchasing a Dillon press. My question is this, Is it a good first step in reloading? I will expect to run .45, .223, and .380. I would likely start with one caliber and get comfortable with the process. Any suggestions welcome.

Airhasz
11-29-13, 22:54
What model dillon are you purchasing?

B!GD
11-30-13, 00:09
The 650

redfernsoljah
11-30-13, 01:51
Excellent press. Keeps its value well. Also depends on what you want to crank out. I started on the rl550b doing 300blk, 5.56 and 9mm. Now since I load a bunch more 5.56 and tired of my fingers cramping placing bullets I run 5.56 in a 650 with a feeder and 300blk as well as a trimmer. I do 9mm and 45 in the 550. Then 45-70 and the such in an rcbs rock chucker. I am looking at adding 308 to my mix soon to though I may just run them on the rockchucker since I want pure precision rather than quantity.

theblackknight
11-30-13, 04:42
Yes the 650 is a great choice for a first press because you will have it for life unless it's consumed by a natural disaster or stolen in a divorce.

People who claim you should really start on a single stage press to learn each step are usually either older and dont know any other way to start, stupid, or some combination. You will learn each step on the initial set up and will load a given number of rounds in much less time then a single.

Airhasz
11-30-13, 09:22
Yes the 650 is a great choice for a first press because you will have it for life unless it's consumed by a natural disaster or stolen in a divorce.

People who claim you should really start on a single stage press to learn each step are usually either older and dont know any other way to start, stupid, or some combination. You will learn each step on the initial set up and will load a given number of rounds in much less time then a single.

#1 reason people start with a single stage press is $$$

Hammar
11-30-13, 09:49
The 650 is a great press and will serve you well. As a beginner, I started on a 550 and that was perfect as it was easier to backup when I made a mistake. Just starting out, that will be the only issue with the 650 for you due to the auto indexing but it's not that big of a deal.

Bimmer
11-30-13, 11:23
As a beginner, I started on a 550 and that was perfect as it was easier to backup when I made a mistake. Just starting out, that will be the only issue with the 650 for you due to the auto indexing but it's not that big of a deal.

+1 If you can, find an experienced reloader to show you the ropes... I started on a friend's 550, with him watching, and he was able to show me things that I never would have gained from reading the manual.

B!GD
11-30-13, 12:36
Great points. I have debated between the 550 and 650, but for the price difference it seems like the 650 is the logical choice. I had hoped to buy it this month, but it might get floated to January. Brian Enos has been recommended as a good place to buy, anyone know where to get the best deal on the setup?

Hammar
11-30-13, 13:28
Brian Enos usually has pretty good prices. Not sure what the wait times are now.

As for 550 vs 650, after getting the hang of it, the 650 will be faster with the auto indexing however I still prefer the 550 with a case feeder added. The only problem with the 650 is if you load pistol brass with high volume powders, the auto index can sometimes sling a bit of powder out of the case. Also, tool heads are cheaper for the 550 if you plan on loading multiple calibers.

B!GD
11-30-13, 13:50
I didn't realize the tool heads were cheaper on the 550. I plan to run .45, .380, and .223 initially, adding .357 after I buy the Coonan I have my eye on. I will definitely read the details again and make a better informed decision. Thanks for the replies, info, and advice.

Hammar
11-30-13, 17:36
I didn't realize the tool heads were cheaper on the 550. I plan to run .45, .380, and .223 initially, adding .357 after I buy the Coonan I have my eye on. I will definitely read the details again and make a better informed decision. Thanks for the replies, info, and advice.

Extra station on the 650.

In the grand scheme of things, not much more. Wouldn't be my determining factor, but it is there so FYI.

mattg1024
11-30-13, 19:05
I started on a 550. Great to learn on, but I now have a 650. If you're going to load a bunch of 556 that's where it shines over the 550.

jstone
12-01-13, 00:06
If your looking for dillon products contact chadbags. He is a member here and one hell of a good guy. I have not had the best experience when trying to order through brian enos.

Chadbags went out of his way to help me get everything I needed, and I spent a little over an hour on the phone with him talking about loading and just shooting the shit. He also through in some mpro7 products.

I know I have not posted in a while, but I wanted to make sure to let everyone know if you need dillon products you can get them from a member. I can say that from my experience with him I guarantee that you will not be disappointed in your dealings with chadbags.

B!GD
12-01-13, 09:02
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I will give him a shot after my list is together

jstone
12-02-13, 02:40
I messed up the members name. It is chadbag not chadbags.

duece71
12-04-13, 06:17
My start in reloading was on a 550b and I have another 550b on the way. Great press and I recommend getting Dillon's video on which ever press you end up with from them. Helped to visualize the reloading process. So far I have loaded only .45 and 9mm but I am going to add .38sp and .357mag soon. Rifle in .308 and .223 will be on the second 550b. Good luck.

Ready.Fire.Aim
12-04-13, 09:47
Go for the 650. I have one and love it. I can easily crank out 400 9mm an hour without trying hard. I had one cam arm break on the powder dispenser- Dillon sent a replacement immediately. I just bought a never-used second hand Dillon shot shell loader very cheap, another finely made machine.

I still have a RCBS single stage set up for specialty loads like subsonic .300 Blackout. It was easy to learn on.

MSteele
12-04-13, 18:03
I just started with the RL 550B and love it. The 650 is great with the case feeder. I watched a friend on the 650 crank out some serious rounds. For the total price of the 550 and all of the carbide dies I bought I am extremely happy. After only having everything for less then a week I have already reloaded 500 rnds of 9mm and 500 rnds of 45acp. Next is 556 which is a little more work. Brian Enos is a great help in getting set up.

Bigun
12-04-13, 21:55
Even the SDB is a great press. Mine has pushed out probably 5,000 9mm 2,000 .38 Special and 1,500 .45 acp in the 4 months I have owned it. Not a single issue yet, everything has gone bang and all rounds have looked factory loaded. I wanted to go on the cheaper side first just to see if they put as much into their lower line products as they do into the higher end stuff. They Do. The 650 is on order and I cant wait for it to come in. I've been into reloading for better than 20 years and other than a bad experience with a Lee pro 1000 have done every round on either a Turret Press or a single stage. The only bad thing I've noticed is that you chew through components at a frightening rate. :)

markm
12-05-13, 07:43
Whichever you pick... DO NOT get obsessed with production rates per hour and all that bullshit. No one will care how much ammo you can "kick out" when you're gun is blodes to bits.

jpgm
12-05-13, 17:46
Dillon makes a great reloader along with standing by their no bs warranty. I am a big fan of my 550B.

jpgm

elwoodcg
12-05-13, 18:45
If you're getting the 650, the auto case feeder is a must. Loading 20 cases at a time in the tube is pretty much a non-starter.

If you can't spring for the case feeder from the get go, I'd definitely go with the 550.

Javelin
12-05-13, 21:40
Congrats on on the press!

JiminAZ
12-05-13, 21:59
At last count I had loaded just under 80,000 rounds on a pair of 550's. They have served me well and Dillon has always been there for me. I typically have one set up for large primers, and one for small primers. Makes caliber changes a lot quicker. Having two presses also allows me to maintain high volume production without breaking the setup on a load that I'm developing.

Vast majority of rounds have been 45 ACP. But I have dies for a bunch of calibers. 45 acp x 2(one for swc, one for ball), 9 mm 40 sw, 10 mm, 38 super, 9x23, 38 spl/mag, 44 spl/mag, , .223, .243, 308, 45-70, 30-06

I mention that because you just never know what direction you'll go next on this shooting thing.

TRshootem
12-05-13, 23:21
I have two 550's and really don't need the added features and cost of the 650. I might run several hundred .223 loads and then switch to 9mm and do the same. Change overs in the 650(with case feed) take more time and case sorting takes on new meaning. The cost of 650 conversions are enough more that you really must have a big stash of components to make the work/time/investment thing work out. I do love the speed of the full progressive, but the reality/budget is happy with the little brother :)

USAF1980s
12-09-13, 07:30
I started with the 550B and then added a 650 with case feeder... I use the 550 for precision rifle and low quantity loading (38/357...44SPL/Mag...) and the 650 for .223/308 and Auto Pistol loads...

Both are GREAT and Dillon support is fantastic...

The auto-index on the 650 can be troublesome to new loaders (you can re-use skipped primers). If I had to just have one, it would be the 550... Why... It is simple to use, setup and still does good production rates.

Make sure your loading bench is firm (not bouncing).
Take your time with the first loads (Inspect all steps).
Wear safety glasses (I have had the primer tube detonate in the 650, my fault, had a defective primer pocket and set off a primer...cascaded to tube...bad day, no injuries, new underwear)
Learn to end a stroke with a seated primer (that is the normal end of the crank arm cycle, always ending for a break that way is good for consistent safe loading)
You will get the FEEL of seating a primer (varies with case type/primer size, etc.). Don't feel like you need to smash it in, you don't
I use One Lube (TFE impregnated synthetic oil) for the shaft and joints. It needs to be a medium body (30 wt) lube IIRC... works for me (I have had the 550 for 20 years)

In my opinion, the 550 is a very SAFE reloading process... would be hard to goof up (vs single stage or 650 as a beginner)..

Take your time and have fun...

+1 on Dillon dies (radius carbide is really good for progressive presses).

DBR
12-11-13, 21:40
Given your reloading objectives, I would take a serious look at the manual indexing RCBS 2000. It is a five station press with an excellent powder measure. Construction is much better than Dillon (cast iron - not aluminum). Caliber conversions are cheaper. Primer size change-over takes about 2 minutes. It can reload almost any rifle/pistol cartridge. IME RCBS customer service is at least as good as Dillon.

In most real world reloading situations I find the manual index progressive press to be an advantage. I can inspect each case and feel each primer seat. The rotation of the shell plate is under my control so I don't have a problem with spilled powder.

Just for the record, I own/use a RCBS 2000 manual index and a Dillon 1050. I have owned a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 650. The 1050 is actually a low volume commercial press in the sense that it expects all the brass to be the same spec etc. It is not the most versatile press but is great for large volume pistol ammo and blasting 5.56 ammo. If I want best quality ammo I use the RCBS 2000.

I like and use Dillon dies except for 5.56 where I like the RCBS or Redding Competition seating die.

racerx7
12-16-13, 23:10
I started on a Dillon 650 about 3 years ago. I started with the basic press no bells and whistles (it was a gift). I started buying the case feeder, RT1200 trimmer extra tool heads and stuff as I went along and funds became available. Its a great machine and it holds its value, if I ever want to sell it.

12-17-13, 08:32
I bought a used Dillon SQDB in the mid 90's. It is still my only press. There is hardy an original part left on it, even the frame. Thousands and thousands of rounds have worn and broken almost every part at one point. Didn't cost me a dime once I bought it. I've been thinking of a 550B because I want to load rifle ammo, the only downside of the Square Deal press.

davidz71
12-17-13, 13:05
I started with the 550b just as they changed from the 450 sometime in 1983 (I think). I loved that press. I decided to go to the 650 five years ago and wished I had kept the 550b and added the casefeeder. That is what I am recommending to people now. Auto indexing sometimes makes me a little uncomfortable although I have an old Pacific DL355 Auto shotgun progressive reloader I feel perfectly comfortable with. I feel like I have more control in step by step process with the 550b than the 650 but the case feeder is sure nice therefore I would have been perfectly fine with 550b w/casefeeder.

ar15a292f
12-17-13, 22:40
I have a 650. It was my first press. Great choice.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1859sharps
12-24-13, 15:58

When I started reloading in my early 20's back around 93ish. I skipped the "sage" advice of the time which was to start with a single stage, then buy the progressive and went strait to the Dillon 550b. Never made sense to me spend the money twice. If you take your time to learn each step, that learning will happen safely with a single or a progressive.

I think the advice is rooted more in the "I am not familiar with those new fangled devices so if you use a single I can better help you" though process than anything else.

Whichever you pick... DO NOT get obsessed with production rates per hour and all that bullshit. No one will care how much ammo you can "kick out" when you're gun is blodes to bits.

this is critical advice. reloading isn't a "sport of speed". Even moving at a "slow" pace that lets you keep tabs on all steps of the process, with a progressive you will still "crank out" an impressive amount of ammunition.

JaxShooter
12-28-13, 09:54
I started on a 550. Great to learn on, but I now have a 650. If you're going to load a bunch of 556 that's where it shines over the 550.
Can you expand upon this? I've been using my 550 for pistol but want to finally get started reloading for the rifle.

mattg1024
12-28-13, 11:30
Nothing wrong with the 550 for rifle. I switched to the 650 mainly for case prep and case feeder.. On a separate tool head I have a resizing dye and the Dillion RT1200 case trimmer. I lube cases, throw them in the feeder and can size/trim thousands of cases very quickly.

I reload slower obviously. Like MarkM said, how many/fast you can reload doesn't matter if the rounds are junk. You get use to the "feel" of loading, and can almost always tell when a primer doesn't seat right or something is off.

I have no regrets buying and learning on the 550, then switching over.

MontePR
12-28-13, 11:48
Tag. I'm on the same boat.

JaxShooter
12-28-13, 12:30
Thanks.

Yeah, I don't care about the advertised rate. Now if I had a sweat shop that'd be different. :)

2tonic
12-28-13, 18:06
I don't think I'll ever see a need to buy any reloading gear from anywhere but Dillon. I have been running 2 SDB's (.44 Magnum and .45ACP) for over 25 years, as well as a newer 650 for rifle calibers. Neither the company nor the equipment has ever let me down; even normal wear-and-tear parts have been replaced at no charge.

Short story:
My first SDB was recovered from a landfill. I was an equipment operator there, and when a salvage company dumped the charred remnants of a workshop fire I recognized the frame of the press. All the plastic parts were melted away, and the operating arm looked warped or bent. I sent it to Dillon, with a letter detailing exactly how I came to possess it, and asked for an estimate to rebuild it. They sent back a new press, complete with all accessories, and a note detailing their " no BS guarantee". I called them back and again explained that I did not purchase the press, and expected to pay for the parts or service it had received. They declined, saying their warranty was" forever, for everyone" and I was sold on Dillon CS. The performance of every Dillon product I own has sold me on Mike Dillon's Company.

The 650 is a great machine, and you will never regret buying any Dillon product.

JaxShooter
12-28-13, 18:20
I've heard and experienced nothing but similar stories.

I love my AR. ;-)

ralph
12-28-13, 20:06
Dillion's warranty is legendary..Recently I had a Dillon 9mm sizing die that started scratching my brass, I called Dillon, and the CS person told me the carbide probably had been embedded with something, and told me to try a craytex wheel on a dremel first, as that often will remove the embedded material. I tried it. no luck. I call back and explain what happened, figuring maybe I could get them to just sell me a sizing die body, and I'd use my decapping assembly.. He asks for my customer ID (on the back of the catalog) reads me my address, yup, that's me, I tell him, He says, Ok, well send you a new die, no charge! I'm a customer for life... OP: if you get either the 650, or 550, I'd recommend getting the alum. roller handle.. It really makes a difference on long loading sessions, Gives the press a smoother feel, and doesn't rub the palm of your hand like the ball handle does..