PDA

View Full Version : case prep tools

9MX
05-09-08, 11:41
hi guys,

apparently, case preparation for rifle loads is kinda complex

can you share your case prep tools (including brand) for ar-15 reloading?

tia:)

jmart
05-09-08, 18:47
A motorized trimmer (Dillon, w/ trim die).

A chamfer/deburrer (if you must. Dillon trrimmer trims with very little burrs)

A case tumbler with wlanut and corn cob media.

That's it.

Redhat
05-09-08, 22:00
I would add:

Case gage - I use LE Wilson but Dillon and some others make them

Primer Pocket uniformer.

I also HIGHLY recommend you get the Sierra Reloading manual as it contains specific how to information on loading for AR-15's and other semi-auto military rifles. Failure to follow safety procedures can get you seriousaly injured or worse.

Face_N_The_Crowd
05-10-08, 00:16
Depends on what kind of ammo

9MX
05-10-08, 08:39
thanks for the inputs! i'm thinking about it mainly for IPSC competitions. :)

jmart
05-10-08, 09:32
Good catch on the swager, eiher a swager or crimp reamer. Needed for .mil cases, LC, etc. One time operation.

DesertWarrior13
05-10-08, 22:35
. . . , not wipe off excess lube, . . .

When you say ", not wipe off excess lube", do you mean after your rounds are completed and go a head and shoot? Or, wipe off the lube before shooting?

BTW I use Hornady One Shot dry lube.

What are you or anyone else using?

Face_N_The_Crowd
05-10-08, 23:38
I've never used 'One Shot'

DesertWarrior13
05-11-08, 14:55
One Shot does leave a dry film with a wax-like feel to them. But it comes off easy enough. I either wash the brass in hot water and use dish soap to remove the lube and dry by sun or over the heater vent; or when I trim & chamfer my brass I use Lee's Lock stud and shell holder in my drill press and remove the lube with a cloth.

I like One Shot (OS) because it's easy to use. Just place the brass in a loading block and spray at 45 degree angle; that way it gets into the case mouth.

I've used the lube pad method and the baggie method before, I just like the convenience of OS. But I may check out the Dillon water-based spray. Sounds like it comes off easily.

I do clean my dies sometimes. Probably not often enough. F_N_T_C good info on what effects lube has in the dies. I never really thought about that before.

However 5.56 ammo is more or less plinking and short distance tactics. But for .308 Win in my Savage FP-LE2B I load for accuracy & long dist. and will keep that in mind.

jmart
05-11-08, 15:05
I use a zip loc baggie and Lee lube dilluted 1:4 with 91% alcohol. I guess enough gets in the case mouths, but since all my sizing is done on Dillon's trim die, by the time I run the sized cases over an exp ball, I don't need much lube -- there's very little drag.

Once sized I rinse cases off in a hot water/dish soap solution, lay them out to air dry, then tumble them in corn cob for 10-15 minutes. Next up is priming, then they are stored for loading at a later day.

9MX
05-12-08, 03:12
The BEST reloading book if you are really interested in accuracy is "Precision Shooting Magazine's Reloading Guide" http://www.precisionshooting.com/books.html (toward the bottom of the page)

Thanks for the link! Has anybody read Glen Zediker's book on handloading? For those who had read it, what do you think of the book?

markm
05-12-08, 08:49
I like One Shot (OS) because it's easy to use.

One shot is probably the worst product I've ever used in the reloading realm. I just got another guy here to quit that trash. One shot sucks as a lube... which kinda defeats the original purpose. And then it's a bitch to get off. Having to wash the shit off with water is ridiculous... I've been there and wasted my time doing it.

Dillon case lube is infinitely superior in every way. It actually lubricates the case... novel concept. :eek: And I can tumble a load of brass for 30 minutes and have all of the lube off. With One Shit, I could tumble for hours, and still have nasty, filthy goo all over my cases. I'd like to slap the dog shit out of the creator of One shot.

jmart
05-12-08, 08:59
One shot is probably the worst product I've ever used in the reloading realm. I just got another guy here to quit that trash. One shot sucks as a lube... which kinda defeats the original purpose. And then it's a bitch to get off. Having to wash the shit off with water is ridiculous... I've been there and wasted my time doing it.

Dillon case lube is infinitely superior in every way. It actually lubricates the case... novel concept. :eek: And I can tumble a load of brass for 30 minutes and have all of the lube off. With One Shit, I could tumble for hours, and still have nasty, filthy goo all over my cases. I'd like to slap the dog shit out of the creator of One shot.

Hey now, you're here amongst friends. Don't hold back and tell us how you really feel.:p

markm
05-12-08, 09:02
Here's my case prep method:

Tumbler and Walnut media.

Dillon case lube. ;) - resize and decap.

Tumble off lube with Walnut. - 30 minutes

Spot check headspace and brass length with Dillon case guage.

Remove crimp (if necessary) with Hornady hand crimp removal tool.
(I use the bit in a hand drill if I have more than a handful of cases)
I tried the Dillon Super Swager, and sold it. I didn't really like it.

Then I prime the brass... That' it.

I don't trim cases, since I can get 3 loads out of brass before they need it. And I only load brass 3 times. I use a Lee Factory crimp die so I don't have to worry about any slightly long cases that may slip through.

That's been my formula for the last ten thousand rounds or so. :cool:

DesertWarrior13
05-12-08, 22:03
Hey now, you're here amongst friends. Don't hold back and tell us how you really feel.:p

ditto.

DG, I get the feeling you must not like OS. ;)

that's cool . . . that's cool. :cool:

9MX
05-13-08, 03:02
I tried the Dillon Super Swager, and sold it. I didn't really like it.

You're the second person I know who didn't like the Dillon Super Swager. What didn't you like about it?

markm
05-13-08, 08:26
You're the second person I know who didn't like the Dillon Super Swager. What didn't you like about it?

First of all... the price. Second, It was inconsistant. I'd adjust it to where it wasn't raping the damned primer pockets, and then I'd end up crushing some primers that weren't swaged enough.

Also, if I did find a decent setting for LC brass (for example), it wasn't a good setting for PRIV brass. Plus, that system requires you to set up a work station somewhere with a clean table edge.. ideally a dedicated area. I just was not impressed with it at all. I gave someone a good deal on it.

With the Hornday tool, there's no settings, and there's no ruining primer pockets. You can't over do it. The only slight downside to the Hornady is that you have to watch that you hold the brass pretty straight if you're using the drill. I've done probably at least 5,000 cases with the hornady, and I like it.

The hornady tool is cheap too!

9MX
05-13-08, 09:45
Second, It was inconsistant. I'd adjust it to where it wasn't raping the damned primer pockets, and then I'd end up crushing some primers that weren't swaged enough.

thanks!this is the same reason given by the first person i heard ditching the dillon swager.

jmart
05-13-08, 19:46
With the Hornday tool, there's no settings, and there's no ruining primer pockets. You can't over do it. The only slight downside to the Hornady is that you have to watch that you hold the brass pretty straight if you're using the drill. I've done probably at least 5,000 cases with the hornady, and I like it.

The hornady tool is cheap too!

Agreed.

John Fettes
06-01-08, 11:55
Has anybody read Glen Zediker's book on handloading? For those who had read it, what do you think of the book?

I enjoyed it, borrowed it from a shooting friend. I own his Competitive AR-15 book and look at if from time to time, also very good. I'm not a competitive shooter but find his work excellent, he has a lot of the answers but realizes he also gets answers from other SME's.

John

nksmfamjp
06-23-08, 19:57
Wilson hand trimmer with fired case holder. It is very easy to trim with. No need for power. Also, use the Sinclair clamp and stand.

Lyman deburr tools. Best IMHO. Chucked in a cheap drill, clamped to my desk.

Hornady LNL headspace bushings. Ideal for tuning.

Midway tumbler

Ttwwaack
10-15-08, 15:00
RCBS Case Gauge
Dillon Tumbler
Dillon PP Swage
Redding T7 Press
Girard and Foster Case Trimmers
Redding FL Comp Dies .246 neck die
Little Dandy Powder Measure
RCBS Hand Primer
Imperial Wax
Lee Factory crimp die

Brass - Plinking whatever cheap and in bulk I can find (except Federal) [U]once[U] fired or Winchester factory brass. Have to many problems with loose primer pockets after doing all the prep on once fired Federal.

Powder Win 748, TAC, 2230 14.5-16" and IMR 4198 w/55's in 10.5
Varget, 748, 4895 in 20 & 24" guns w/69 on up

Primers WSR, Rem 7.5 and Fed 205m

FL resize to -.002 under chamber. Feel comfortable w/5 reloads on occassion have gone 6. Disected the brass after the 6th and the web still looked good but primer pockets were starting to go.

Projos - Hordany 55 gr FMJ's, 62 gr surplus FMJ