PDA

View Full Version : What is your choice on Compensator/Suppressor?

TDrift
05-09-08, 12:36
Is Noveske KX3 worth the price?
or should I go with G-6 VORTEX FLASH HIDER?

Thanks

Spade
05-09-08, 13:08
Is Noveske KX3 worth the price?
or should I go with G-6 VORTEX FLASH HIDER?

Thanks

I have an N4 with the KX3 on order & should have it in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know after I hit the range. I have heard nothing but good things about it so I thought I would try one out. Personally I dig the way it looks but several people I know just cant get over the way it looks.

tiger seven
05-09-08, 13:26
What barrel length? A KX3 on anything longer than about 11.5-12" is kind of silly in my opinion.

Also, the KX3 is NOT a particularly effective flash suppressor. It just directs the flash and muzzle blast forward, away from the shooter. In low light conditions, using the right sort of ammo, the fire-breathing pig is not an exaggeration. ;)

The Vortex, however, does a very good job as a flash suppressor.

Derek

TDrift
05-09-08, 17:39
My patrol rifle is Colt LE6920. (16.1 inch)
I have been looking at Vortex until I saw KX3 recently.
I have no prior information on KX3 other than been told that it is nice used in a formation for building search. Which I do often on my job.
I might stick with Vortex.

Staind503
05-09-08, 17:49
a buddy of mine has the YHM Phantom flash suppressor and it works VERY well

longshot
05-09-08, 18:32
The DTNC has a version with a flash hider built in. I think it's FSC30 ?
I have the DTNC and I like it. I also have a miculek on one and a MSTN quiet brake on my 6.8. All seem to work good.

tiger seven
05-09-08, 20:36
My patrol rifle is Colt LE6920. (16.1 inch)
I have been looking at Vortex until I saw KX3 recently.
I have no prior information on KX3 other than been told that it is nice used in a formation for building search. Which I do often on my job.
I might stick with Vortex.

The KX3 is really meant for short barrels. It's also big and heavy, and on a 16" barrel it won't do anything a smaller, lighter flash suppressor wouldn't do better. It's only contribution would be weight.

The Vortex would be a much better choice.

Derek

TDrift
05-10-08, 09:14
thanks, guys.

rob_s
05-10-08, 09:18
I also wouldn't bother with a KX3 on anything under about 12".

On a 16" I'd go with something like the AAC Blackout or a phantom or vortex. If you're shooting next to others, or in a confined space, don't use anything that is advertised as a "brake" as it will certainly suck for others and likely suck for you.

N4LtRecce
05-10-08, 14:20
I'm a fan of my Vortex.

USMC03
05-10-08, 19:31
I would not recommend a KX3 for a barrel over 12.5" (give or take an inch).

I ran a KX3 on my 11.5" barrel for work. I liked that the KX3 directed the muzzle blast, flash, gases, etc. down range. Short barreled rifles can be obnoxious and when shooting in close proximity to other Officers a KX3 on a short barreled rifle has a utility.

But consider that the KX3 is 8 oz (1/2 pound) and adds to the overall length of the gun. My 11.5" short barreled rifle w/ KX3 was only 1.75" shorter than my 14.5" M4 with Sabre Defense long A2 flash hider (overall length is 16.1").

In my opinion the extra weight and length of the KX3 were a fair trade off for the benefits gained by the KX3 when running it on a SBR. Putting the KX3 on a 16" barrel would make the overall length of the barrel 18.75" (that's almost 19"), not to mention you will notice 1/2 lbs. out on the end of a 16" barrel more than you will on the end of a 10.5" - 11.5" barrel.

I like the KX3's on SBR's, but they have little to no use on longer barrels. The bottom gun is a 11.5" SBR w/ KX3, the gun above it is a 14.5" M4 with a long A2 flash hider perminately attached to meet the 16" minimum barrel length:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Group%20Gun%20Pics/AllLMTs.jpg?t=1210463283

My personal opinion is to stick with the factory A2 flash hider / compensator.

The A2 flash hider is 1 3/4" long and the Smith Vortex is 2.31" long. The A2 is already on your gun, the Smith Vortex costs $55. In my opinion unnecessary added length and unnecessary extra cost.

In a law enforcement situation getting the best or most amount of flash supression is a non-issue as in the hours of darkness more often than not you will be illuminating the suspect with white light of some type.

S/F,
Jeff

rob_s
05-10-08, 19:40
Jeff, I'm inclined to agree heavily with you on the A2 flash hider. Like most things it will prove to be more than adequate for 99.9% of users for their intended purposes.