PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking my 1st shotgun...

TacticalSpeed
05-09-08, 13:47
First, I would like to know whether or not I can legally have a pistol grip and/or stock, like the Knoxx, added to it in NJ.

Second, I'm a little guy (5' 7" 125 lbs) :what::D so I don't want something that is going to send me flying backwards or bruise my shoulder when I fire it. I want to be able to enjoy the gun. I've read conflicting things with 12g vs 20g. So far, it looks like 20g would be best for me, but what do I know? ;)

Third, it will just be for range use as well as HD. I do have a pistol for HD use as well.

Fourth, I have read things like a stronger 20g shell giving more recoil than a lighter 12g shell. So I have no idea which ammo to use for whichever gun I decide.

I do like the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 as well as the Maverick (if I can't have pistol grip.) So I will, most likely, end up with one of those. Feel free to suggest which model I should go with. I'm looking to keep it under, or around, $300 if possible. I know the Maverick retails for $199, but I really want a pistol grip SG if it's legal in my state. I do know that I can't have a SG that holds more than 6 rounds.

Master_of_Sparks
05-09-08, 19:51
Well, its always a personal choice and there is no "right" one. Pick them all up and get a feel. Differences in controls, pull, weight, etc. Many people think the 870 has the edge on the 500. I personally own one or more of all 3 that you named, among others. All are good for their intended use. I consider them all to be "cheap" shotguns and there is nothing wrong with that. Like many of the guns I own, they spend more time silently basking in an air conditioned closet, or lounging behind a truck seat, than they do getting used.

I won't pretend to know NJ laws, but I do know that the overlords of your state don't particularly like the obtuse operational confinements of the 2A. I wouldn't be too surprised if you find out they restrict ownership of pistol grips, or those barrel shroud thingies, or other "evil looking" things that do nothing. Check with people that are more familiar with your local governments infringements.

Even with your small stature, I don't think you will have trouble controlling a 12 ga. so don't be intimidated by it. Especially with options like low recoil shells. After the first bruise you will learn the "tight to shoulder" lesson.
I graduated from the 20 to the 12 at about age 10 and I graduated both of my boys at about the same age. We were all smaller and weaker at that age than you are now. My youngest is now 18 and very lean at about 5,8 and 140. He loves to run 3" magnums through his 12 ga. with a pistol grip. I personally throw the pistol grips away. I like a buttstock in traditional configuration.

Not a plethora of information, I know. I am just trying to encourage you to leave the shallow end of the pool. I suggest you find someone that owns a 12 ga., perhaps a stranger at the range, and take it for a quick and dirty spin around the block. I feel certain that after that you will choose the 12 over the 20 without hesitation.

Packman73
05-10-08, 01:58
A 12g is not too big for you. Check out the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, both are very popular.

Carlos
05-10-08, 17:26
Remington 870 Pump, 12 ga. Like another member wrote, kids start on a 20 ga. and around 10 yrs of age go to the 12 ga. Interchange barrels of choice for HD, birds, deer, clays, etc. And 40 years from now your grandchildren will use the same shotgun. It's simply a great value and like the Winchester Mod 97 our fathers and grandfathers used in WWII, it just keeps on working.
Regards,
Carlos

Beemer
05-11-08, 18:08
Get a Saiga 12ga.-Beemer

ajackb
05-11-08, 21:37
Master of Sparks is on the right track.

Pick them up at a store and try the controls. Myself, I prefer the Mossberg since I'm left handed and the safety can be controlled with either hand. I also run a Remington 1100 in competition with similar safety controls to the 870 and really hate the stages that require you to start with the safety on. I have also recently started competing with a Saiga. Very unique shotgun but a little hard to find and requires quite a bit of modification in order to use mags over the 5 shot capacity with which they ship. If it's your first SG then go with the pump and learn to use it. Inexpensive to start so you can buy some training from a decent school with the rest of your money. Oh, and 12g will give you the most options. Use some low recoil ammo and add a good recoil pad if it doesn't come with one.

Good luck. :)

austinN4
05-12-08, 17:25
You are getting some good advice here. I, too, own different brands - an 18" Remington 870, an 18" Winchester 1300, and a 20" Mossberg M590A1. I like them all and they all work, but they all have some things i like and dislike about each.

As Master so rightly said, you really need to at least shoulder, preferrably shoot, all that you consider. The best one for you will be the one that shoulders easiest, feels the most comfortable and that you like the controls on.

For example, the 870 safety behing the trigger works fine for me with a Vang Big Speed on it, but not without. I prefer the safety on the Mossberg as I don't have to use my trigger finger to manipulate it.

And I hate the location of the 870's action release as I have to change my grip to activate it - not so with Mossberg's.

And I prefer the shell lifter on the Mossberg as it is up and out of the way, which makes reloading under pressure with a shell in the chamber on a closed bolt easier, IMO. The shell lifter on the 870 is all the way down and you can get a glove stuck in it while you are pushing it out of the way to reload.

The Mossy 20" 590's are also 8+1, whereas the 18" 870's are only 6+1, and only 4+1 without a magazine extension.

On the Winchester, the safety button works like Remmy's but it is front of the trigger. And the action release is in the same position as Mossy's, but it is so darn small I have to change the position of my hand on the grip to activate it.
For me, the Winchester's controls are probably the worst of the 3.

Lots to consider, but it really comes down to personal choice - there is no right or wrong answer that I can give you, only my personal preferences.

TacticalSpeed
05-12-08, 22:36
Well I've dropped the pistol grip idea. I'm leaning toward the Maverick right now. Any reason I shouldn't get it?

FYI, can't have more than 6 rounds in NJ

austinN4
05-13-08, 06:27
Well I've dropped the pistol grip idea. I'm leaning toward the Maverick right now. Any reason I shouldn't get it?

FYI, can't have more than 6 rounds in NJ
I never like the way a Maverick shouldered or felt once shouldered, but that is just me. YMMV.
Bummer on the 6 round capacity. Is that total rounds as in 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber, or is that magazine capacity only?

SpinRC
05-13-08, 15:11
You might have to look around a little more but a used shotgun could be the way to go.
-The Winchester Model 12 is a classic shotgun that has held up well over the years. They can be expensive because they are a classic gun.

-The Remington model 1100 is a semi-auto shotgun that can be found in the $500 dollar range. I have noticed that the recoil on the 1100 is a little less than on a pump gun.

-The Ithaca 37 Featherlight in 20ga is a good gun for smaller guys. It's light, shoots well and if you decide you want a bigger shotgun in the future, it is a good first shotgun for kids.

I shoot trap with the model 1100 and it is a solid gun. For hunting quail and dove I use the Ithaca, and it is still my favorite gun to shoot.

As far as the shotguns you mentioned I like the Mossberg for HD, it's a reliable gun that can be configured in a number of ways.

Just my 2 cents.

TacticalSpeed
05-13-08, 15:32
You might have to look around a little more but a used shotgun could be the way to go.
-The Winchester Model 12 is a classic shotgun that has held up well over the years. They can be expensive because they are a classic gun.

-The Remington model 1100 is a semi-auto shotgun that can be found in the $500 dollar range. I have noticed that the recoil on the 1100 is a little less than on a pump gun.

-The Ithaca 37 Featherlight in 20ga is a good gun for smaller guys. It's light, shoots well and if you decide you want a bigger shotgun in the future, it is a good first shotgun for kids.

I shoot trap with the model 1100 and it is a solid gun. For hunting quail and dove I use the Ithaca, and it is still my favorite gun to shoot.

As far as the shotguns you mentioned I like the Mossberg for HD, it's a reliable gun that can be configured in a number of ways.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info. Not spending $500 on a SG. Most Id spend is $300. Now I'm really liking the Mossberg 500 #50521. Seems the same as the #50411, but the 50411 is about $50 more. :confused:

austinN4
05-13-08, 17:44
Now I'm really liking the Mossberg 500 #50521. Seems the same as the #50411, but the 50411 is about $50 more. :confused:
The 50521 isn't listed in Mossberg's online catalog so it must be older inventory and probably why it is less $ - a good find on your part if it is the same as a 50441.

TacticalSpeed
05-15-08, 09:54
I'll probably end up going Mossberg b/c they seem to be cheaper than the Remington 870.

I held a Mossberg 500 Persuader w/a 20" barrel last night. Didn't feel bad, but I'm after an 18.5" barrel. They also had the Mariner which I did not hold, but I imagine it'd feel the same. It sure looks nicer. I'm just not sure it's worth an extra $100 over it's blued counterpart. Thoughts?