PDA

View Full Version : Best ammo for Benelli M4?

Peshawar
12-02-13, 15:33
Hello folks,

I have a couple of M4's coming my way, and I have some questions. What is considered the "M193" of shotgun ammo for these weapons? I'd like to buy a fair amount at once and really don't know what choice represents the best value. It needs to be stout enough to cycle the gun throughout a training course and remain reliable. Any suggestions?

Also, any HD ammunition recommendations for this platform? Not really interested in loads that are too extreme, just good solid choices that have a good balance of reliability and shootability.

Thank you!
P.

BBossman
12-02-13, 16:16
I'm partial to Federal PFC154 00. 2 3/4, 9 pellet, 00 Buck with the Flight Control wad. I think theres a low recoil version, but semi shotguns may have trouble with it.

My Mossberg 930 SPX ran perfect right out of the box and has never failed with the PFC154 00. Practically a miracle for a 930...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Peshawar
12-02-13, 17:10
Thank you, BBossman. I'll check out your suggestion.

Dennis
12-02-13, 22:04
Our Duty M4s run fine with Federal Tactical reduced recoil 9p with Flite Control. Slugs are Win reduced recoil as well.

Freedoms Guardian
12-03-13, 07:37
Dear Peshawar, Congratulations on your latest firearm acquisition. Benelli M4s are great tactical/combat/HD shotguns which are notoriously reliable and versatile. I predict that you will come to love this platform -- especially the more you learn about it and the more you use it. Once you get your Benelli's, may I strongly recommend that you become familiar with them -- inside and out. Study a few of the many YouTube videos on these fine tactical shotguns. Learn how to assemble and disassemble them. Btw, it is really simple and tool-less. Be sure you disassemble the two gas pistons underneath the barrel near the breach. You will quickly grasp the beauty of the Benelli ARGO system. This unique patented system is one of the key reasons why the BENELLI M4 (M1014) was chosen by the US Military as its Joint Services Combat Shotgun (JSCS) -- reliability, reliability, reliability. The second best attribute of this combat shotgun is versatility, versatility, versatility. This versatility is demonstrated by the Benelli's unique ability to allow the operator to switch from buckshot to slug to less lethal and back again without downloading whichever shells are already loaded in the tube magazine. What does all of this mean? Your Benelli(s) ought to feed just about any shell you feed them whether they are weak or strong, cheap or expensive. My three Benelli M4s have never had a failure to feed, failure to fire, or failure to eject, regardless of type of ammo that I have fed them, to include Centurion 1.5" mini shells. Your question was, "What shell is the best value?" Sure, we all want to save money. So if you are about to run your two new guns through an arduous break-in, or train-up, or training school, then it is understandable that anyone would want to save a few dollars on ammo. However, in car terms, what you have is a Ferrari in the garage. After making such a large investment in the vehicle, would one really want to feed it the lowest octane fuel that you can find? The recommendations made by others on this thread are all good. In particular, Federal LE 2 3/4" 9 pellet OO Buckshot with Flight Control is a sure winner. Once you get fully bitten by the Benelli bug, you are likely to want to get some after market accessories to further enhance your newest weapon in the war against evil, i.e., extended magazine tube, adjustable combat sling, white light, extended bolt and bolt release button, tritium night sights, side-saddle shell carrier, etc.

Good luck, Godspeed, Enjoy your two newest best friends!

Bello
12-03-13, 09:04
My m4 at first would fte every 3rd birdshot then I ran about a mix of 70 magnum slug and buckshot 3" went home cleaned it went a few weeks later it cycled birdshot like butter! After it's nice and broken in it will eat anything imho

MarkG
12-03-13, 10:01
The M1014 is unarguably the best auto-loading shotgun ever manufactured. I haven't found any brand of buckshot or slugs with a high brass base that do function flawlessly in it. I'm not recoil sensitive and therefor not a fan of reduced recoil ammunition but I do use it.

Dave Metal Works (http://www.davesmetalworks.com/m4.html) makes some nice aftermarket parts for it. An Aimpoint H1 will fluch mount it perfectly.

Peshawar
12-03-13, 13:22
Wow, thank you gentlemen! I appreciate the excellent responses.

I realize that there is a break-in period that will require full power ammo. Freedoms Guardian, your reply was particularly complete and welcoming. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I have two Freedom Fighter Tactical full length magazine tubes, Mesa Tactical 6 shell side saddle / pic rails units, two AVA Tactical light mounts, and a couple of Surefire 6PX Tactical lights waiting for these Benellis. If I get time I'm going to pick them up from the gun store today. Definitely have leaned my lesson already about sub-par ammo in platforms that require the right choices for reliable cycling (I don't use Wolf in my AR's anymore). The Federal load that BBossman mentioned sounds like a great choice, and I've had good experiences with the remington buckshot and slugs in my Saiga 12's which also require full power ammo. When I get these guns set up I'll post a pic here.

Much appreciated, guys. I love this forum.
P.

ad_infinitum
04-25-14, 00:48
also LE12700 is equivalent to PFC15400. Both are copper plated and same velocity.

LE13*** are reduced recoil loads.

Big Bronze Rim
04-25-14, 13:43
It sounds like you outfitted your M4 the exact same way I did several months ago. I absolutely love it and the combination of parts works really well together. The AVA light mount is a really nice piece of kit. If you go with the collapsible stock, get yourself a IWC QD socket for the MOE stock and it will bolt on to the stock and give you a nice rear QD point.

Peshawar
04-25-14, 14:00
Yes, it's been working very well. Took a shotgun course recently to really run it through its paces and it went great. I ended up using large snap rings on the rear of the light to keep them from walking forward, and that has proven successful. Got a Vickers sling setup with the rear attached to a VT sling loop thingie meant for fixed stocks, and it works nice too. Really happy with the M4.