PDA

View Full Version : What spares would you keep around.

Thump_rrr
12-02-13, 19:24
If you could keep up to 20 items as spares for your AR, what would you keep?

It could be as little as a roll pin for a low profile gas block or it could be a complete BCG.

I am trying to compile a list so that I can keep my 3 AR's running without any down time.

A lower or upper receiver is out of the question because that would lead into another build.

All 3 of my AR's have low profile gas blocks and flat top rails if that helps.

uffdaphil
12-02-13, 19:50
A lot depends on your setup. For example you may need different weight buffers for different ammo/gas system/barrel length. Study via search button the different aspects of of the AR system to know what less general questions to ask.

Ryno12
12-02-13, 20:30
I maintain a Plano box with a spare bolt, bolt rebuild kits, firing pins, FCGs, numerous springs, detents, roll pins, TP & PP, crush washers, grip bolts. In addition to a spare CHs, buffers & buffer springs, etc.

At minimum, I would keep a spare bolt, firing pin & a complete LPK on hand.

Sent via Tapatalk

ra2bach
12-02-13, 23:16
I maintain a Plano box with a spare bolt, bolt rebuild kits, firing pins, FCGs, numerous springs, detents, roll pins, TP & PP, crush washers, grip bolts. In addition to a spare CHs, buffers & buffer springs, etc.

At minimum, I would keep a spare bolt, firing pin & a complete LPK on hand.

Sent via Tapatalk

yep, all that in the parts tray. I also keep a complete spare bolt and firing pin in the grip space of the rifle...

fixit69
12-03-13, 00:02
My reply is the same as I gave a while ago...

Besides lower, upper and barrel have enough to build another two AR rifles. Makes things easier. You will thank yourself.

ETA: if three rifles, make it six where I said two.

Iraqgunz
12-03-13, 00:35
I know we have had these discussions in the past. There is no solid answer unless you can predict a parts breakage or other need. I would seriously look at spending about 100-200.00 to get spares like extractor assemblies, gas rings, at least one bolt, all the various roll pins, and springs. Even an spare basic fire control group (ALG Defense) or the like. It doesn't pay to buy springs, crush washers and disposable items in small quantities because of shipping so you simply add it to larger purchases (like buying a stock, etc...).

af22raptor
12-03-13, 01:53
I currently own 7 ARs in 3 different calibers: One 9mm quasi pistol I installed the Sig SB15, one 7.62x39mm carbine, and five 5.56x45mm. I maintain 3 plano boxes 1 large and 2 medium where I keep parts to rebuild a bolt and carrier, 2 Sets of complete pins and 2 sets of complete springs kits, keep a gas tube in for each size except the mid-length because I keep 2, buffer spring 3 carbine and 1 rifle, Gas pins I have three of brownells 5 pack, Original grips, stocks, flash hiders and handguards that have come with the kits I have used to build my rifles. I have a very understanding fiancee that allows me to keep one of the bedrooms in our house as my man cave/firearm room where I do all my firearm work. I am a great believer in: "its better to have and not need, than to need and not have." It usually takes Brownells or MidwayUSA about 3 to 5 days to get items to me and I do not have a local gun shop that carries parts. So I try to keep a good backup of anything and everything that could be damage or broken.
I do keep spare parts for firearms so if something goes wrong I can diagnose the issue and get it fixed. Last month I went to the range to test fire my latest 2 builds and I had an issue with the disconnector spring was not compressing and making the rifle short cycle at first I thought if was an upper issue but when I swapped uppers it worked fine. I figured that when I installed the KNS non rotating pin set caused part of the issue so when I got home went into my shop and in less than 5 minutes the spring was replaced lower was back together and the rifle was g2g for another test fire. About a 10 days later the rifle was running like a champ.

Take a look at brownells they carry kits that will give a basic package of parts that you can have handy in case of trouble.
here is one of those kits:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-m16-parts-kit-prod41458.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-m16-lower-spring-kit-prod57595.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/dpms-ar-15-ultimate-repair-kit-prod5564.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/ar-15-m16-lower-receiver-spring-kit-prod27449.aspx
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-pin-kit-prod5578.aspx

there are but a few of the kits available out there. I know that some people are going to say DPMS or Ergo or so on are crap parts and cannot be trusted but small stuff that can get the rifle back up till you can get the broken part replaced with the original brand or just keep the kit part till it fails makes more sense that to have a weapon down for how ever long it takes to get the part installed. Always be prepared and have what you need to maintain your weapons online. Just like when I was on active duty where we keeped logs of the aircraft and its systems I maintain an individual maintenance log from the day I take the firearm home and I record every range session, keep a round count, note any issues, Detail cleanings and parts inspections. This way I have an idea of where my firearms are in their life cycle.

I hope that info helps you in what to get.

Donut
12-03-13, 01:58
My spare parts are like gremlins that eat after midnight (or was it getting wet that made them multiply? Anyway..) so I'm constantly gaining new builds, but losing spare parts. But what I have been able to keep as spares: a full (and then some) set of springs, detents and pins, a complete bolt, a spare LPK, a spare carbine buffer, a spare gas block and a bunch of extra stocks. I really need to get spare gas tubes, and a spare buffer tube though.

Thump_rrr
12-03-13, 02:27
Thanks for the replies.
I already have a spare BCG and LPK on order.
I am building a parts list since the US Govt. is now allowing us to buy up to $500 of parts at a time when we were only allowed $100 before. From USA to Canada.
It usually takes 3 weeks for a Brownells order to arrive via USPS.
If we get it shipped by UPS or Fed Ex we usually get tagged for a $60.00 brokerage fee.

Iraqgunz
12-03-13, 02:40
Just a little tip. McMaster-Carr sells things like carrier key screws and roll pins that are used in the AR. ;)

Thanks for the replies.
I already have a spare BCG and LPK on order.
I am building a parts list since the US Govt. is now allowing us to buy up to $500 of parts at a time when we were only allowed $100 before. From USA to Canada.
It usually takes 3 weeks for a Brownells order to arrive via USPS.
If we get it shipped by UPS or Fed Ex we usually get tagged for a $60.00 brokerage fee.

SilverBullet432
12-03-13, 08:22
any part i swapped on mine goes into my parts box. For example a CH, a2 grip with screw, DD FCG. I plan to get a spare bolt and some firing pins just in case. maybe some gas rings too.