PDA

View Full Version : Tape switch mounting options - Tango Down Rail panel or Upgraded Surefire

ggammell
12-03-13, 15:54
I'm torn as to how to mount the tape switch of my new Scout. It comes with the small one which I would need the TD SCAR panel with pocket (looking at the 4" model). Or do I upgrade to the SR07? I don't need the constant on mode.

Is there a significant difference in quality between the original tape and the SR07?

How do you affix the original tape to the TD panel?

It will be mounted at 12 o'clock just behind the HSP Thorntail (hence my thinking of the 4" panel)?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $25 to go surefire or not.

halmbarte
12-03-13, 17:50
The SR07 is a very nice solution if you have rails since it's one piece.

I've been using mounting tape to further secure the SR07 to the rail and you can tape down the edges too.

H

snakedoctor
12-03-13, 18:50
SR07 is your best bet.

ALCOAR
12-03-13, 19:48
Here is a DIY thread of mine that might help you out, or give ideas.....ultimately no matter how nice you get the UE07, it's just not ever gonna be a good solution for the SR07 which is in my book the perfect designed tail switch. Super strong cord, built in rail grabber that secures the tape switch w/out the use of any ties, or otherwise attachments to help secure it. Lastly, and most importantly....it provides the end user with a momentary, on/off option. Both options take real deliberate movements in order to generate light discharge.

For other guns that are not nearly as important and potentially go-to life saving setups....then the UE07 w/ my mod works fantastic. The HD/Duty/serious use AR is the only rifle that imho should have a dead nuts reliable, top of the line WL on it, and equally as important is it's mounting location, actual mount, and method of activation either via push tail cap, or remote tail switch.

DIY tape switch rail attachment mod....
(https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?76632-DIY-tape-switch-rail-attachment-mod)
http://i53.tinypic.com/11h9w7b.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/wqtr3l.jpg

ggammell
12-03-13, 20:37
Trident,

Thanks man. I read your post in my travels. I was impressed with the ingenuity. I unfortunately am not that DIY skilled or equipped. I think an off the shelf solution would be best.

kdcgrohl
12-04-13, 17:09
You can also secure the standard tape switch between the upper rail and a rail panel to get your switch at 11 o'clock. Small zip ties work great.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/kdcgrohl/firearms/2012-03-13_17-00-43_572.jpg

trinydex
12-12-13, 03:10
You can also secure the standard tape switch between the upper rail and a rail panel to get your switch at 11 o'clock. Small zip ties work great.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/kdcgrohl/firearms/2012-03-13_17-00-43_572.jpg

I do this, except I just use Velcro with an adhesive backing.

BigLarge
12-13-13, 02:28

Zip ties dont melt?

kdcgrohl
12-13-13, 10:08
Zip ties dont melt?

Not that far from the barrel. Enough mag dumps to melt the zip ties would likely have an effect on the rubber tape switch as well.

BigLarge
12-13-13, 18:35
Not that far from the barrel. Enough mag dumps to melt the zip ties would likely have an effect on the rubber tape switch as well.

Good point. I really like my tape switch at the 11 o'clock position, but its certainly not secure. I'll try a zip tie

jonconsiglio
12-20-13, 16:31
Is this for a fun rifle or a duty/defensive rifle?

If it's for personal enjoyment, mount the switch wherever it's comfortable. If it's a duty/defensive rifle, I'd mount the switch where it's least likely to be activated accidentally.

An SR07 at 12 o'clock is great if it works with your grip. It does for me, so I like it. It takes a good bit more pressure to activate and has a constant on option. It's very hard to accidentally activate.

The standard switch takes very little pressure. I prefer to mount these between rails as already pictured. The other thing I do is grip my rifle as I normally would, then position the switch where it takes the least movement from my normal grip.

Mounting between the 9 and 12 o'clock rails works well. Use the Velcro and zip the it down. It's not going anywhere and it's not melting unless you are a fan of betamags and bump fire stocks.

Still, I have always kept an additional switch handy or the standard tailcap.

Which leads me to my next question..... Why not mount the light at 11 o'clock and use the click on/off tailcap. It has the benefit of constant on and it's less likely to be damaged and put out of commission.

I decide which of the three options to use based on the rifle's handguard and barrel length. On my 14.5" Colt 6921 with 7" RAS, I like an sr07 with a scout (but am currently running an x300 ultra until I get a scout ultra (this was another decision as I'm NOT sold on the x300 on carbines just yet, but I guess I'll find out) at 1 or 3 o'clock, preferably 1 o'clock as it works better with my grip. With a 12" handguard and 14.5" barrel, I like a click on/off tailcap and a scout or fury mounted at 11 o'clock. On my 11.5" with 10" handguard I'm content with either a click on/off tail cap or tape switch. My 9" 300blk work rifle was the real issue that forced me to use an x300 ultra with an sr07 at 12 o'clock. Anything else bright enough pushed out past the muzzle. But I'm getting off topic here.

I've damaged two SR07's. They both cracked where the cable meets the switch body. Neither time did it quit working, it just needed replaced. These were the early SR07's which had a more rigid cable. The new ones have a spiral design you can see under the outer skin and are more flexible. I just started using them again so I can't speak to the durability.

SR07's have an area for the zip tie. It works very well and I'd strongly suggest you tie it down. They grab the rail but I've had them pop off or get snagged. Hell, I had one pop off when pulling it quickly from my bag the other day.

So, tie it down and keep a spare. They will come loose and they will break. It's just a matter of time.

I've gone through a number of the early tape switches over the years and have never damaged the most recent ones that come with the light. But, I've never used them long either before switching to the SR07 or click on/off tailcap.

I just had to decide on the best setup for my work rifle, the 9" 300blk. I'm still not 100% sure on a standard tape switch at 10:30 or the SR07 at 12 o'clock. I'm using the SR07 at the moment.

So, as you can see, every rifle is different for me. I just plan for the worst and keep extra parts handy as these things can break. I think putting any switch besides the SR07 in an unprotected position where you can grab it accidentally is not the best idea.

On my SCAR H and 9" 300blk with URX 3, the standard tape switch at 10:30 works really well. There's already a pic of this setup, but I can post more if needed.

Oh, another option I like that I've seen Falla run and I tried the other day is using the standard tape switch between the 3 and 6 o'clock rails and activating it with your finger tips instead of thumb. Works well actually, but he was running a light and laser separately. One at 10:30 and the other switch at 4:30.

Terribleone1
12-20-13, 16:49
I used the same method as kdcgrohl for my m952v and it worked well. :)