PDA

View Full Version : KAC Mid-Length Handguard With Rifle Length Gas System

usmc51
12-04-13, 07:27
I have a KAC mid-length rail sitting around, which I believe is 10 3/4" long, as I recall. Have any of you used a KAC mid handguard with a rifle-length gas system? Were it a carbine length or rifle length handguard, I'd know how I wanted to build the rifle, but I'm not sure if it's going to look funny with an 18" barrel with rifle-length gas system and KAC's proprietary mid-length handguard. I don't really want to go to a carbine length gas system to be able to use this. Thanks.

caporider
12-04-13, 09:49
It'll look funny... You'll have more than an inch of bare gas tube showing between the end of the handguard and the start of the gas block/FSB. Is your KAC rail one of the units with the integral flip up front sight? I'm wondering if that's why you're debating between using a rifle length and carbine length gas system?

usmc51
12-04-13, 10:08
Is your KAC rail one of the units with the integral flip up front sight? I'm wondering if that's why you're debating between using a rifle length and carbine length gas system?

Yes, it is. Thanks. Hopefully, someone will have a photo of one. I hate to have to go with a carbine gas system.

mtdawg169
12-05-13, 07:55
Yes, it is. Thanks. Hopefully, someone will have a photo of one. I hate to have to go with a carbine gas system.

If you don't have the barrel yet, get a midlength. Otherwise, you could sell the URX midlength rail and get a URX II rifle length rail. Ayan had one at boltcarrier.com a while back. Or Operation Parts may have one.

ETA - Ayan has a URX 3 rifle length in stock, which has the integrated front sight.

usmc51
12-05-13, 08:19
I have a KAC 11.5" barrel to go with the mid-length LW URX rail, I was just thinking I would have more use for an 18" precision rifle than an SBR. I may just put all the parts back in the vault for a while longer, or build the lower out with a different upper for now. I don't really want to sink much more money into it and was thinking a non-SBR would be the most practical way to put the majority of parts to use for now. Thanks for the recommendations.

caporider
12-05-13, 09:53
Oops wrong post...

evoutfitters
12-05-13, 09:57
I have a KAC 11.5" barrel to go with the mid-length LW URX rail, I was just thinking I would have more use for an 18" precision rifle than an SBR. I may just put all the parts back in the vault for a while longer, or build the lower out with a different upper for now. I don't really want to sink much more money into it and was thinking a non-SBR would be the most practical way to put the majority of parts to use for now. Thanks for the recommendations.

You can make a precision 14.5" rifle with a permanently affixed muzzle device and a carbine length gas system (non-NFA). With a good barrel shooting Mk262Mod1 or similar and a suitable scope you can tag steel all day long at 600 yards (wind willing!).

I did a 14.5" build with a KAC URX3.1 midlength that would look similar to a URX II midlength build with a 14.5" CLGS barrel:

http://evpics.com/evo/556_urx31_1000.jpg