PDA

View Full Version : My new Colt 1911 tactical pistol

cohiba
09-09-06, 15:13
I just picked this up last night and my horrendous picture taking abilities do not do it justice. My camera would not focus correctly and now lies somewhere in my backyard as my wife watched in horror as I winged it into the woods. Oh well.

As to the pistol, I have never been so happy about a piece of metal. Add Grant's perfect timing on my DG-18 which came today and life is good.

This started life as a Colt Series 70 reissue and all that survives of it are the frame, slide and a couple of minor parts. I combed the net for 1911 info and ideas and incorporated some into my pistol. Other ideas came from my gunsmiths. This pistol will be on their new website introducing their new shop so I'll leave the detail photos to them.

The parts list is as follows:

-frame and slide: Colt
-safety: EB Tactical
-grip safety: EB Memorygroove
-trigger: EGW solid
-sear: EGW
-firing pin stop: EGW
-disconnect: Colt
-plunger tube: Colt
-guide rod: Wilson SS FL (yes, full length)
-hammer: C&S Ultra Lite
-mag catch: Wilson
-ejector: King's
-bushing: Kart
-barrel: Kart NM
-slide stop: EGW
-extractor: Wilson BP
-sights: Heinie Str 8 night sights
-magwell: S&A arched
-grips: VZ black canvas
-light rail: Caspian
-light: SF X200B w/DG18 switch

Again, I wish I had better pics because this pistol is all about the details:
-complete dehorn
-flatten and serrate top of slide
-front cocking serrations
-crown barrel 11 degrees
-lower and flare ejection port
-checker slide stop
-serrate rear of slide
-cut back and re-radius trigger
-mag catch is slanted and checkered
-mag well has flats machined on sides, factory checkering removed and recheckered to match front strap checkering. Also, lanyard hole machined into mag well. This is pretty amazing and I couldn't get a good pick of it.
-left top of grip safety is scalloped for thumb safety manipulation
-firing pin stop retainer on left of slide. Usually for competition pistols, detent keeps firing pin stop from locking up pistol if it breaks in half. I was told that Bill Wilson did this in the early 1980's.
-Caspian rail pinned and welded on. Was not truly 1913 spec and a lot of work went into it.
-finish is matte blue for now. There are so many interesting finishes coming out now that I will shoot this thing all fall and decide on a finish during the winter.

I just want to thank Jody and John for all of their work. They have made 2 1911s, one Rem 700 and 9 ARs for me. Like I said before, much better pics of this thing will be on their new business website for Jo-Jo's Gunworks in Southington, CT very soon. Enjoy my modest pics for now. :cool:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical06.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical07.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical04.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical05.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical03.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical02.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/tactical01.jpg

bigbore
09-09-06, 16:05
-firing pin stop retainer on left of slide. Usually for competition pistols, detent keeps firing pin stop from locking up pistol if it breaks in half. I was told that Bill Wilson did this in the early 1980's.

Very nice, but too pretty. It needs some character marks.

Interesting. I have never seen or heard of.:confused: If the FPS breaks, isnt the gun a paper weight anyhow? I've never heard of one breaking?

I ended up putting a bunch of rounds through my 1911 today with the TPD class graduating next week. (steel was set too heavy for 9mm to knock over) I really miss shooting it, now to see how bad my wrist hurts tomorrow. Getting older sucks:mad:

Sam
09-09-06, 17:36
Looks like an awesome pistol. Great pictures too, I don't know why you got mad at your camera.

VA_Dinger
09-09-06, 17:52
Absolutely stunning.

1911's just don't get any better than that.

I really love the S&A magwell re-contouring.

olds442tyguy
09-09-06, 20:02
There's only one word that comes to mind when I look at that. That word is beautiful. Very nice!

cohiba
09-09-06, 20:35
Looks like an awesome pistol. Great pictures too, I don't know why you got mad at your camera.

As I said somewhere else, I took 32 pics total and only these came out. Damn auto focus kept fixating on what was behind the pistol. Wife found the camera. Don't think Nikon had this in mind for warranty work. :eek:

Linea_de_Fuego
09-09-06, 23:33
Just shoot down at the table or put up a backdrop so the camera won't try to focus a much greater distance than your object.
The one shot where the front sight is in focus and the hammer is not is from having the aperture opened rather than stopped down to f16 that gives a greater depth of field, ie. longer span in focus.

Oh... nice pistol BTW.
I have a 1991A1 in the works myself.

Steve_Morrison
09-10-06, 18:36
That is a great looking pistol.
Whoever did the work is a very skilled craftsman.

Linea_de_Fuego
09-10-06, 19:01
I wondered what is pinned at the rear of the slide? I haven't seen that before.

TOrrock
09-10-06, 20:02
That's a beautiful pistol.

CTGUNSMITH
09-10-06, 20:14
It's not really pinned it is a small hex head that is detented into the side of the of the oversize firing pin stop. In the rare occurance that the firing pin stop cracks it drops down and the gun becomes a paperweight that screw stops the firing pin stop from moving ever, in the early days of race/open IPSC gun building it was all the rage.

Dport
09-10-06, 20:22
As the people who know me can attest, I'm not big on 1911s.

However, this one makes my nipples hard.

bigbore
09-10-06, 21:15
It's not really pinned it is a small hex head that is detented into the side of the of the oversize firing pin stop. In the rare occurance that the firing pin stop cracks it drops down and the gun becomes a paperweight that screw stops the firing pin stop from moving ever, in the early days of race/open IPSC gun building it was all the rage.

If it cracks horizontally below the detent, what keeps it from falling down?
I think cohiba got milked for a few unnecessary bucks.

cohiba
09-11-06, 09:31
I think cohiba got milked for a few unnecessary bucks.

Ah, no. I requested it as I saw the pistol of a pretty famous competition shooter sitting on the their gunsmithing bench one day. All of his pistols have it but again, he shoots VERY high round counts.

It is a custom feature on a very high end pistol. Since this is probably the last 1911 I'll have made for myself, I was very picky on parts and features. While the detent has gotten most of the attention, its the magwell that will really impress folks once better pics are available. :cool:

C4IGrant
09-11-06, 10:51
As the people who know me can attest, I'm not big on 1911s.

However, this one makes my nipples hard.

Don't like 1911's???? GET OUT YOU HOMO! :D

C4

bigbore
09-11-06, 12:43
Ah, no. I requested it as I saw the pistol of a pretty famous competition shooter sitting on the their gunsmithing bench one day. All of his pistols have it but again, he shoots VERY high round counts.

It is a custom feature on a very high end pistol. Since this is probably the last 1911 I'll have made for myself, I was very picky on parts and features. While the detent has gotten most of the attention, its the magwell that will really impress folks once better pics are available. :cool:

Sorry, I thought is was a feature that was "sold" to you.

I love 1911s, have handled, shot, sold, owned, and still own some real good ones. I never fit in with the 1911 crowd though. I'll spend hours fitting a barrel, but there is nothing impressive to me about something as meaningless as the fit of an extended magwell. ;)

Its in the eye of the beholder:)

IDCC
09-12-06, 21:48
That is one of the best looking pistols I have ever seen.

SuicideHz
09-12-06, 22:46
Very beautiful!

I'd like a rail added to my 92fs. I hope that isn't blasphemy around here- at least it isn't a PX4!! :D

DrMark
09-13-06, 17:46
That's a beautiful Colt!

cheaptrick
09-13-06, 18:50
Beautiful!!
Very nice.

alias
09-16-06, 15:19
Moderator edit: If you continue to post like this your stay on M4carbine will be VERY short.

M4carbine is NOT like other forums. This behavior will not be tolerated.

Please consider this your one warning.

VA_Dinger
09-21-06, 16:46
Cohiba, did you find the time to take some better photos of the magwell re-contouring?

-Wes-
09-22-06, 01:04
Yes, more pics.

I need more visual motivation as to why I should drop the money on a Mechanical Engineering degree and not on a full house custom 1911 now.

Business_Casual
09-22-06, 11:23
Yes, more pics.

I need more visual motivation as to why I should drop the money on a Mechanical Engineering degree and not on a full house custom 1911 now.

If when I was in college I knew what I know now, I would have gotten an ME degree and then become a plumber. I'd own a gun factory by now. :D

M_P

cohiba
09-22-06, 11:50
Cohiba, did you find the time to take some better photos of the magwell re-contouring?

My gunsmith took both of my 1911s to take pics of them and put them on their new web site. He used to work for a newspaper and is a pretty good pic taker. I talked to him last night and he said the close up shots came out great. The mods to the S&A magwell are pretty awesome and they are hoping to offer it as an option for customers. My 1911 was the test bed. He is bringing my pistols back to me on Wednesday and I'll try to post some new pics then.

Dinger: no love yet on that other Colt issue but I am in the necessary loop.

VA_Dinger
09-22-06, 15:57
Dinger: no love yet on that other Colt issue but I am in the necessary loop.

10-4, I just had to ask.

:D

45-Bravo
09-25-06, 19:50
That is sweeeeeeeeet! :cool:

cohiba
11-07-06, 10:07
I totally forgot about more pics that were requested. I have three more that I hope help a little.

Decided on a ceramic coating from Nighthawk that I have read is doing very well with a quick turn around time. Tell you the truth though, the matte blue I have is pretty good, durable, easy to redo and damn cheap. Bigbore is getting to me. :D ;)

I ditched the DG-18 switch. Its easier for me to use my forefinger.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/gun_007.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/gun_005.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/deguns_021.jpg

K.L. Davis
11-07-06, 11:39
Firing Pin Stop detents were sorta popular in the 80s... for a large part I think it was some of the oneupmanship that needed to be done, but they were out there. There were a few cases of guns with lightweigt, competition FP springs allowing the FP to stay forward long enough for the FPS to drop down a little and stop the slide from going all of the way forward -- in many cases, when the slide would catch on the FPS, it would break the FPS and a few guys got the process backwars, they thought it was falling because it broke, not that it broke because it fell.

The side set screw is not seen very often, because it was not at all that popular... all of the ones I did involved a small hole drill in the bottom of the FPS and then countersunk from the blind side -- a tapped hole in the rear of the slide held a small allen screw that was deep set... after you put the gun together, you stuck an allen wrench through the hole and backed the allen screw out to lock the FPS.

The idea fell from grace as people started realize it was not needed... in some cases the setscrew was blamed for stopping the gun -- I would (even in '84) never put one on a fighting gun.

sorry, but that is just me :(

Dave Berryhill
11-07-06, 12:11
Nice roscoe! Will your pistol with the Caspian light rail fit in holsters made for 1911s with integral rail frames?

cohiba
11-07-06, 14:35
Nice roscoe! Will your pistol with the Caspian light rail fit in holsters made for 1911s with integral rail frames?

K.L.- understood brother. This one is engineered not to be the source of a problem but I could see why someone wouldn't want something else that could go wrong.

Dave- Short answer is I don't know. I can tell you that my weld on Caspian rail by necessity hangs lower than an integral Caspian rail. Mine was shaved a bit but you can see in the pics with the DG-18 switch how much lower it is.

My pistol was already completed when the new Novak weld on rail came out which is lower in profile than even my shaved one. Would either fit in a integral rail holster? If they went in, IMO it would be tight.

My carry gun does not have a rail. This pistol is for some training classes I have access to, most of which require a light. This way, I practice with the same platform. I have a SOE drop leg holster fitted for this pistol being made right now.