PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Armament Flash Comp

PatrioticDisorder
12-04-13, 07:44
Is anyone running one on a duty or defensive carbine? I'm trying to find info on how well they control muzzle flash and concusion and whether or not it would be a suitable on a 10.5-16" AR set up as a home defense carbine, so I'd be worried about excessive concussion and excess flash destroying night vision.

mpom
12-04-13, 08:03
Do a search, as there is a major thread discussing this comp.

PatrioticDisorder
12-04-13, 08:11
Do a search, as there is a major thread discussing this comp.

Interestingly I have searched and came up with nada which is why I started the thread.

Toddler
12-04-13, 08:23
Very similar to a Battlecomp 1.5, but heavier. In my opinion it has a little better muzzle control, no slight downward push. You might want to checkout the PWS Triad and BCM also. They help with muzzle control but not as good as the Griffin, but with less flash and concussion in my opinion. Also the Triad can be had for under $70. As you know with muzzle devices your gonna have to decide whether you want more muzzle control, flash suppression or less concussion; but the Griffin is a very nice choice.

jpeezy
12-04-13, 10:00
I have one mounted on a 11.5 BCM upper and it works as advertised if not better. It produces a large concussion and it is very loud when compared to the A2, but mitigates muzzle climb like a champ. You will have to decide what your willing to trade off.

Bearded_Brometheus
12-04-13, 12:56
Here's a pretty in depth vid talking about recoil, concussion, flash, etc.

http://youtu.be/AZglBmxn_is
Griffin part starts at 31 seconds in.

I have the Griffin Flash Comp II on my AXTS build & am a big fan of it.
21857 21858

The_Hammer_Man
12-04-13, 13:14
This is one of the few comps that really works on pencil barreled carbines. A lot of the comps that I've tried actually disimproved accuracy.. the flashcomp added/corrected that thus enabling me to get some really nice 1moa and under groups with my lightweight setup.

tehpwnag3
12-04-13, 13:59
I've been using Flash Comp II's on two 16" mid-lengths for a few months now. Both started with A2's, and one had a Miculek brake at one time. I've shot other competitor's models as well fyi. I found that the flash suppression was acceptable, but not great (not an A2/Vortex/Phantom). During night testing, there was a small orange plume with some "streaking" particles. Through my Aimpoint, I had no issues with losing vision or seeing the target, but my fixed front sight may have helped to block some of that flash from my eyes, too. It's brake effect was not outstanding, but it's there. It's compensation was very good. It shot flat, but that was also dependent on my hold. I prefer a thumb-over-handguard hold and I noticed a slight bounce off to the right after each shot (I'm right handed). If I hold the vertical grip not as a handstop but as a solid 6 o'clock grip, it stays on target, which tells me my offhand is inducing slight pressure to the side. On my other carbine (more for fun than serious business), I timed the Flash Comp to about 2 o'clock which mitigated the sideways bounce, however, switching hands produced the opposite effect of exaggerated dot movement, naturally. I'm still playing with it, but my BCM fighting gun stays at 12 o'clock. If I had to guess, at 50yds, the dot would bounce about 9-12" to the right. I'm practicing to cure this with better technique.

Overall, I really like the Flash Comp. It has excellent reviews, as do other quality products from different manufacturers. It does everything well, but nothing exceptionally. The comp effect is where it shines IMO. I'm sure you'd be also interested in knowing (subjectively) that when I shoot in the wide-open outdoors, the A2 had a very loud crack, but not enough to make my ears ring (single shot/no ear pro), but the Flash Comp did make my ears ring with the first shot. This may not matter much indoors during a HD situation either way, but I wanted to make note of it.

JSantoro
12-04-13, 14:19
Interestingly I have searched and came up with nada which is why I started the thread.

Same, and I saw what you saw. This woulda fit only one of the three even-remotely relevant ones, and that woulda been questionable, at best.

PatrioticDisorder
12-04-13, 18:49
I've been using Flash Comp II's on two 16" mid-lengths for a few months now. Both started with A2's, and one had a Miculek brake at one time. I've shot other competitor's models as well fyi. I found that the flash suppression was acceptable, but not great (not an A2/Vortex/Phantom). During night testing, there was a small orange plume with some "streaking" particles. Through my Aimpoint, I had no issues with losing vision or seeing the target, but my fixed front sight may have helped to block some of that flash from my eyes, too. It's brake effect was not outstanding, but it's there. It's compensation was very good. It shot flat, but that was also dependent on my hold. I prefer a thumb-over-handguard hold and I noticed a slight bounce off to the right after each shot (I'm right handed). If I hold the vertical grip not as a handstop but as a solid 6 o'clock grip, it stays on target, which tells me my offhand is inducing slight pressure to the side. On my other carbine (more for fun than serious business), I timed the Flash Comp to about 2 o'clock which mitigated the sideways bounce, however, switching hands produced the opposite effect of exaggerated dot movement, naturally. I'm still playing with it, but my BCM fighting gun stays at 12 o'clock. If I had to guess, at 50yds, the dot would bounce about 9-12" to the right. I'm practicing to cure this with better technique.

Overall, I really like the Flash Comp. It has excellent reviews, as do other quality products from different manufacturers. It does everything well, but nothing exceptionally. The comp effect is where it shines IMO. I'm sure you'd be also interested in knowing (subjectively) that when I shoot in the wide-open outdoors, the A2 had a very loud crack, but not enough to make my ears ring (single shot/no ear pro), but the Flash Comp did make my ears ring with the first shot. This may not matter much indoors during a HD situation either way, but I wanted to make note of it.

Thank you, exactly the kind of first hand experience I was hoping to hear about!

mtdawg169
12-04-13, 19:03
I I've been running the flash comp for about a month on an 11.5" SBR. Previously, I've used both the Battlecomp and BCM Comp. The flash comp has a strong concussion, but flash is not bad for a comp. Comparing these on a dim indoor range, the BCM has considerably more flash. If I had to rate them, best performance to worst:

Muzzle control
Flash Comp, Battlecomp - tie
BCM comp

Flash - least to most
Flash Comp
Battlecomp
BCM

Concussion - least to most
BCM
Battlecomp
Flash Comp

Note, flash from the BCM was visible in bright sunlight shooting outdoors. The flash comp was not noticeable on a dim indoor range when I was on the gun. Only noticed it when standing behind another shooter. The Battlecomp was only noticed occasionally when in the indoor range and I was on the gun.

mrvip27
12-04-13, 19:37
I've been running the flash comp for about a month on an 11.5" SBR. Previously, I've used both the Battlecomp and BCM Comp. The flash comp has a strong concussion, but flash is not bad for a comp. Comparing these on a dim indoor range, the BCM has considerably more flash. If I had to rate them, best performance to worst:

Muzzle control
BCM comp

Flash
Flash Comp
Battlecomp
BCM

Concussion
Flash Comp
Battlecomp
BCM

Note, flash from the BCM was visible in bright sunlight shooting outdoors. The flash comp was not noticeable on a dim indoor range when I was on the gun. Only noticed it when standing behind another shooter. The Battlecomp was only noticed occasionally when in the indoor range and I was on the gun.

Interesting about the BCM comp...

mtdawg169
12-04-13, 20:40
Interesting about the BCM comp...

I probably wouldn't read too much into it, as it's all pretty subjective. I should note that the flash I observed with the BCM wasn't the typical fireball effect. It was more of a large shower of sparks encircling the muzzle. The BCM seems to have been designed to provide some improvement in muzzle control, with a stronger emphasis placed on reduced concussion. They all have their strong suits, with different design parameters.

ETA - I just realized that I had the concussion ratings backwards. Corrected.

mrvip27
12-04-13, 20:44
I probably wouldn't read too much into it, as it's all pretty subjective. I should note that the flash I observed with the BCM wasn't the typical fireball effect. It was more of a large shower of sparks encircling the muzzle. The BCM seems to have been designed to provide some improvement in muzzle control, with a stronger emphasis placed on reduced concussion. They all have their strong suits, with different design parameters.

That would make sense, since it is designed as a tactical comp.

mtdawg169
12-04-13, 20:52
That would make sense, since it is designed as a tactical comp.

I agree.

Boba Fett v2
12-05-13, 21:27
Having run the GA comp I can say it's the best thing going WRT to comps at a very competitive price point. Works as advertised. The guys who run the operation are GTG as well. If I weren't a KAC whore I'd run their comps exclusively.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

RWH24
12-06-13, 21:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_004H7tVgg

Flash Comp is later in the video.

Biggy
12-07-13, 00:17
My current favorites of the hybrid type muzzle devices and what I am presently using are the two below. I am using them on rifles with 14.7" & 16" inch barrels. IMHO, they are pretty close to each other in all areas except the price. Is the MAMS better, well for what I paid for them, I would like to believe they have a slight edge over the Flash Comp II , and I believe they do have a slight edge overall. On barrel lengths of 14.5" inches and up I like both of them. On shorter barrel lengths I would only use a decent flash hider of your choice. Also, as we know, the type of ammo used (with or without flash retardant) has a lot to do with how these two will do at night in the flash department.

The Griffin Armament M4SD-II Flash Comp ( first one in the vid)
http://www.youtube.com/embed/U3g3otebce4

Knight's Armament 5.56 MAMS
http://www.knightarmco.com/uncategorized/kac-5-56-mams/

Mamiller
12-07-13, 12:44
Looking at either a Flash Comp or Dynacomp for my next build.

mtdawg169
12-11-13, 17:30
I I've been running the flash comp for about a month on an 11.5" SBR. Previously, I've used both the Battlecomp and BCM Comp. The flash comp has a strong concussion, but flash is not bad for a comp. Comparing these on a dim indoor range, the BCM has considerably more flash. If I had to rate them, best performance to worst:

Muzzle control
BCM comp

Flash - least to most
Flash Comp
Battlecomp
BCM

Concussion - least to most
BCM
Battlecomp
Flash Comp

OK, so I finally got a chance to take the MAMS for a quick test drive today. Rifle was an 11.5 SBR. Time was limited, so these are just my first impressions. It initially seems superior in all regards to the Flash Comp, Battlecomp and BCM Comp. Muzzle stability was exceptional, almost neutral. Concussion was much better than the Flash Comp and Battlecomp and maybe the BCM. I haven't fired the BCM in about a month, so memories are fading fast. Flash was not noticed, but I need to watch someone else shoot it to really compare. Overall, it's pretty great. However, the cost is still an issue. I got a great deal on this one, in used / like new condition. Otherwise, I wouldn't have one right now. I know some guys will put them on every gun they own, but even my KAC obsession has its limits.

rcoe
12-11-13, 19:31
Have had one on my KAC for over a year now very happy with it. It made an already very soft shooting AR even better.

I do not notice the added concussion but was told by others in a class this summer it was noticable but too offensive.

Nice price point as well.

VIP3R 237
12-11-13, 19:36
I'm one of GA's biggest fans, their Flash Comp is the best overall of the hybrid devices minus the KAC MAMS. Having shot many rounds from the bcm comp and battle comp in conparison the flash comp is the most balanced.

Looking at either a Flash Comp or Dynacomp for my next build.

The flash comp is superior in every way to the dynacomp.

mpom
12-11-13, 20:34
Am interested in the smaller brother to the Flash Comp, the basic M4SD2. Is there any difference in function betweent the FC and the basic comp? I realilze the comp is smaller and lighter, which are pluses. Expect muzzle flash to be more, but wonder if the 4 holes in the front plate have any impact on the muzzle remaining in balance during recoil. Seems this model is designed to go head to head with the other hybrid comps.

Mark

PatrioticDisorder
12-11-13, 20:46
So what I gather, flash comp is the best thing since sliced bread except the MAMS is sliced bread too only the bread is sliced a little cleaner... Doesn't sound like the juice is worth the squeeze there at 4x the price and the videos of the flash comp look damn good!

mtdawg169
12-11-13, 22:16
So what I gather, flash comp is the best thing since sliced bread except the MAMS is sliced bread too only the bread is sliced a little cleaner... Doesn't sound like the juice is worth the squeeze there at 4x the price and the videos of the flash comp look damn good!

The FC is good, but to me, it has a noticeably sharper concussion on a short barrel. It really rattled my teeth.