PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum AND M4 Rifle

Mick_In_Texas
05-09-08, 19:18
Howdy, folks.

I'm a new Bushmaster M4A2 owner. I have a couple of questions, and couldn't find any threads relating...

One: magazines. A guy at work--who doesn't own either the AR15 or the M4--told me Bushmaster magazines are different than AR15 mags. My dealer gave me a 30-round in addition to the 20-rd that comes with it; but, I wish to purchase more magazines prior to this fall. Will mags shown for the AR15 also fit and function in my M4?

Two: receiver. Instruction book states clean before first firing (I do this anyway on new other firearms), and ensure no excess oil in receiver. States excess oil may cause receiver to explode on firing. Any guidance on that?

I only have two rifles--an old SKS, and my wonderful new Bushmaster! Many handguns, though...

I appreciate any help y'all could give me here. It took me at least 2 years to come around to the .223 chambered rifles, actually more like about 20!

Y'all take care.
Mick

Severian
05-09-08, 19:42
blank

RD62
05-09-08, 19:46
Any AR-15 mags should fit. The most reliable tend to be USGI or Magpul P-Mags. I like the P-Mags. Cheap. Very durable. And very reliable. Get some.

As far as excess oil in the receiver making it explode, that's a negative. Use the search function and look-up lubrication. Their are many threads discussing types and procedures. Pick a good one (Slip200, WeaponShield, MachineGunners lube, Militec, whatever) and use it. You don't have to hose it down, but it needs lube to run, and it runs better on more than less.

Some will tell you that lube will attract dirt, dust, etc.... Yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.... I've had mine pretty dusty, dirty, and fouled, and so long as it was kept lubed it ran just fine!

-RD62

jh1
05-10-08, 08:33
Howdy, folks.

I'm a new Bushmaster M4A2 owner. I have a couple of questions, and couldn't find any threads relating...

One: magazines. A guy at work--who doesn't own either the AR15 or the M4--told me Bushmaster magazines are different than AR15 mags. My dealer gave me a 30-round in addition to the 20-rd that comes with it; but, I wish to purchase more magazines prior to this fall. Will mags shown for the AR15 also fit and function in my M4?

Two: receiver. Instruction book states clean before first firing (I do this anyway on new other firearms), and ensure no excess oil in receiver. States excess oil may cause receiver to explode on firing. Any guidance on that?

I only have two rifles--an old SKS, and my wonderful new Bushmaster! Many handguns, though...

I appreciate any help y'all could give me here. It took me at least 2 years to come around to the .223 chambered rifles, actually more like about 20!

Y'all take care.
Mick
I've read something about bushmasters mags being alittle different also.But not sure.

BC520
05-10-08, 09:07
Could he have been talking about the curved 20's that Bushmaster shipped? If I recall those were different in that they weren't USGI at all.

jh1
05-10-08, 09:24
Could he have been talking about the curved 20's that Bushmaster shipped? If I recall those were different in that they weren't USGI at all.

May have been.I've heard of some people had to bend or ding the mag for it to drop.

Mick_In_Texas
05-10-08, 11:36
The only two other firearms forums I'm a member of have to do with the 1911/1911A1 pistol. I was welcomed there very roundly, and made to feel at home; I'm no longer a newbie to that fine firearm. I want to thank you folks for welcoming me here: I am very new to the AR15/M4 rifle platform... my dealer on several of my 1911s worked on me for nearly 2 years to convince me that M16/M4 civilian variants in the .223 Winchester/5.56x45mm NATO caliber are FINE rifles.

I LOVE my Bushmaster M4A2. I've also realized that the .223 has its uses... and I SURELY thank you folks for welcoming me to the brother/sisterhood of the "little black rifle".

Especially, y'all, thank you for the information not only on AR15 magazines working in the M4s, but for the good instruction on brands for aftermarket purchase: duly noted, and will pursue! My two included mags are the Bushmaster 20-rd curved and the 30-rd curved, grey Teflon finish. They both drop clean when released, no hanging up, so the one person's comment may not apply to my two Bushmaster OEM mags. My dealer on this one also suggested Pmags; he had some major experience with the M16 in the Army, as he was a Sharpshooter with the M16 and loves our "little black rifles".

And the same for the lubrication hints and instruction! Again, duly noted and will abide by. Some of the suggested lubricants, I'm unfamiliar with, but will check into, and perhaps also for my 1911s and other pistols and revolvers, as well as my ol' SKS. I've got to join a rifle range. I have a cleaning kit for my M4 and SKS. Pistols are easy for me, as I carry and shoot them frequently... rifles, more intimidating. But, a law-abiding citizen NEEDS at least one good, reliable, functional rifle for a number of reasons.

I'm HONORED to meet you folks in the "little black rifle" group. Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for the information. Y'all take care, and hopefully I'll learn much about my M4 here...

Y'all take care and be safe and have a great weekend.
Mick

Severian
05-10-08, 12:58
blank

jh1
05-10-08, 15:41
The only two other firearms forums I'm a member of have to do with the 1911/1911A1 pistol. I was welcomed there very roundly, and made to feel at home; I'm no longer a newbie to that fine firearm. I want to thank you folks for welcoming me here: I am very new to the AR15/M4 rifle platform... my dealer on several of my 1911s worked on me for nearly 2 years to convince me that M16/M4 civilian variants in the .223 Winchester/5.56x45mm NATO caliber are FINE rifles.

I LOVE my Bushmaster M4A2. I've also realized that the .223 has its uses... and I SURELY thank you folks for welcoming me to the brother/sisterhood of the "little black rifle".

Especially, y'all, thank you for the information not only on AR15 magazines working in the M4s, but for the good instruction on brands for aftermarket purchase: duly noted, and will pursue! My two included mags are the Bushmaster 20-rd curved and the 30-rd curved, grey Teflon finish. They both drop clean when released, no hanging up, so the one person's comment may not apply to my two Bushmaster OEM mags. My dealer on this one also suggested Pmags; he had some major experience with the M16 in the Army, as he was a Sharpshooter with the M16 and loves our "little black rifles".

And the same for the lubrication hints and instruction! Again, duly noted and will abide by. Some of the suggested lubricants, I'm unfamiliar with, but will check into, and perhaps also for my 1911s and other pistols and revolvers, as well as my ol' SKS. I've got to join a rifle range. I have a cleaning kit for my M4 and SKS. Pistols are easy for me, as I carry and shoot them frequently... rifles, more intimidating. But, a law-abiding citizen NEEDS at least one good, reliable, functional rifle for a number of reasons.

I'm HONORED to meet you folks in the "little black rifle" group. Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for the information. Y'all take care, and hopefully I'll learn much about my M4 here...

Y'all take care and be safe and have a great weekend.
Mick
Don't get me wrong BM ars are great from what I hear ,Iuse BM parts& the military uses them.

Mick_In_Texas
05-14-08, 21:53
Sure thing Mick.

The only other thing I would look into for your Bushmaster is inspecting it for a properly-staked Bolt Carrier Key and staked Castle Nut (if you have a collapsing stock). Unfortunately Bushmaster is well known for having inconsistent quality control, and these steps are important for continued reliability.

Check out this thread on carrier key staking, and what a properly staked key should look like: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6993

You should be able to do a search on this and the castle nut staking issue for more info. I know that Grant at G&R Tactical, who also belongs to these forums, is a BM dealer and might be able to take care of this for you.

On the Mag issue, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure how reliable the Bushmaster-brand magazines are these days. About 10 years ago I had one of their 10-rounders (from the Clinton "ban" days) and it was junk. Anyways, just pick up some P-Mags and you'll be all set. As for lube, just use whatever works best for you. Perhaps try a few quality brands that have already been mentioned above, eventually you'll figure out what you like. Some people even use 10w30 motor oil with some success. :) There are a bunch of other threads on this topic if you want to look into it more. I use Slip 2000 for everything.. Handguns, rifles, shotguns.

Go shoot your rifle and let us know how it does.

I'll look into this. Sorry I didn't reply sooner: have been out of town the past few days on business.

On my 1911s, have also heard about 10W30 and other motor oils! Hate to hear my first chosen brand has QC issues... so far, rifle seems pretty solid, but, live in apartment and have to find a rifle range to fire/learn to fire. I've jacked a few rounds through the bolt from the magazines that came with; the 20- and 30-rd Bushmasters. Will see what the four Pmags in 30-rd do when received.

Will clean initially, as I did my Mossberg shotgun (500 Enforcer), Ruger GP100 and Ruger P90, and all 7 of my 1911 platforms, prior to first fire. Same with that ol' SKS with scope, no bayonet. I really like the feel, weight, and handling of my Bushmaster M4A2, OEM sights seem VERY good! The Bush teflon mags also seem very good; but am looking forward to my Pmags prior to first firing. The weapon see

Mick_In_Texas
05-14-08, 22:08
Sure thing Mick.

The only other thing I would look into for your Bushmaster is inspecting it for a properly-staked Bolt Carrier Key and staked Castle Nut (if you have a collapsing stock). Unfortunately Bushmaster is well known for having inconsistent quality control, and these steps are important for continued reliability.

Check out this thread on carrier key staking, and what a properly staked key should look like: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6993

You should be able to do a search on this and the castle nut staking issue for more info. I know that Grant at G&R Tactical, who also belongs to these forums, is a BM dealer and might be able to take care of this for you.

On the Mag issue, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure how reliable the Bushmaster-brand magazines are these days. About 10 years ago I had one of their 10-rounders (from the Clinton "ban" days) and it was junk. Anyways, just pick up some P-Mags and you'll be all set. As for lube, just use whatever works best for you. Perhaps try a few quality brands that have already been mentioned above, eventually you'll figure out what you like. Some people even use 10w30 motor oil with some success. :) There are a bunch of other threads on this topic if you want to look into it more. I use Slip 2000 for everything.. Handguns, rifles, shotguns.

I'll look into this. Sorry I didn't reply sooner: have been out of town the past few days on business.

On my 1911s, have also heard about 10W30 and other motor oils! Hate to hear my first chosen brand has QC issues... so far, rifle seems pretty solid, but, live in apartment and have to find a rifle range to fire/learn to fire. I've jacked a few rounds through the bolt from the magazines that came with; the 20- and 30-rd Bushmasters. Will see what the four Pmags in 30-rd do when received.

Will clean initially, as I did my Mossberg shotgun (500 Enforcer), Ruger GP100 and Ruger P90, and all 7 of my 1911 platforms, prior to first fire. Same with that ol' SKS with scope, no bayonet. I really like the feel, weight, and handling of my Bushmaster M4A2, OEM sights seem VERY good! The Bush teflon mags also seem very good; but am looking forward to my Pmags prior to first firing. The weapon seems to be solid; but will check above. The Chinese SKS I have is built like a tank; my beloved dad had one, once, and he got rid of it, but, I can't afford an M1A or Garand M1, even though I qualify, in .30 cal, and the 7.62X39mm NATO would be in ready supply in a tight spot. I leave it at that.

I do like the .223 Winchester/5.56X45mm NATO 55 gr. round M193 FMJ, though. Urban, unobstructed hunting, good round. Just as I love the .45 ACP handgun round in a pistol. Viable rounds, both. I'm going to check ALL this information out on my Bushmaster M4A2. I LOVE the sights, they're easy to get on target, and I've never had the "carry handle"-type sights... but they seem real good as far as fast target acquisition. Mine's a carbine in 16" barrel; there you go. Izzy flash suppressor. In a bind, think it is a workable and serviceable firearm. Took me a LONG time to get comfy with the .223. Knew too many Nam vets who had probs with the M16 originally; but the -A3 and -A4 versions, better. And the M4 rifle, seems to be very reliable and trustable. Reliability--since I've had THREE confrontations with bad guys--is ALL that matters, NOT the rollmarks on the frame or slide. There you go.

I still appreciate your welcome HERE, on a rifle forum. It took me two years to get my Bushmaster M4A2. I am not a rich man, I work for the state of Texas. My dealer worked with me. I love learning. If I were 100 years old, learning and growing is life to me... I thank you all for your comments and help.

Y'all take care and be safe. When I get to fire my Bushy, I WILL post info! Thank y'all.

Mick

Severian
05-14-08, 22:58
blank

Whytep38
05-15-08, 22:10
Mick, welcome aboard.

You'll find a lot of good info on this website. At first, it seems like there's a lot to learn, and there is, but it becomes very manageable once you define for yourself what role you intend for your AR: self-defense, plinking, varminting, general purpose, etc.

I'm no expert, I don't play one on TV, and the nearest Holiday Inn Express is across town. However, I can point you to a few good places to start, which are the sticky threads posted at the top of each forum. Here are links to a couple of them that should help you out:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Enjoy your reading and enjoy your new AR!

Whytep38
05-15-08, 22:21
Forgot to include the info on a book I found very helpful:

"The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee.
ISBN 1-888722-12-6

Walks you through a basic assembly process so you see what all the parts look like, their names, how they work together, and how they go together.

ksa464
05-15-08, 23:25
I've read something about bushmasters mags being alittle different also.But not sure.

No different. In fact, the Bushmaster mags are C-products WITH Magpul Gen II gray followers. Very nice. The same mags in fact that the new Charles Daly comes with that received a comment from Grant in fact.

A dealer here in town had a 100 count box of 30 rounders in the plastic he was selling for $11.50.............I bought 10.

Failure2Stop
05-16-08, 07:00
Don't get me wrong BM ars are great from what I hear ,Iuse BM parts& the military uses them.

:confused:
Could you elaborate on what BM parts the military is using?
As far as I know there are no contracts for service rifles/carbines or parts from BM.
But maybe something has happened that I am unaware of.

Parabellum9x19mm
05-16-08, 08:18
Bushmaster was awarded a Navy contract in January 2008....to the tune of 18.25 million buckaroos.

perhaps with their foot in the door, we might see the ACR/Masada get some military trials perhaps??

remember the U.S. Army Tank Automotive and Armaments Command purchased 5000 Ruger KP95D pistols a while back? i don't really like the Beretta 92FS but if i had a choice of either the M9 or Ruger P95 de-cocker as my service pistol, i would choose........the M11 SIG 228!!

just kidding. if it HAD to be between the Ruger or Beretta i think we'd all chose the M9. just like if we all had to pick between the FN or BFI, we'd all go with FN.

some of these new contracts seem sort of weird to me, but whatever

Failure2Stop
05-16-08, 10:01
Bushmaster was awarded a Navy contract in January 2008....to the tune of 18.25 million buckaroos.

Which was mutually terminated shortly thereafter, which is found on page 3 of this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10280&page=3&highlight=bushmaster+contract).
Even if it had not been terminated, the first delivery was not going to be for two years.
Though there have been isolated instances of extremely low quantity buys, BM has not held a contract with the military for anything that I am aware of.

I should have known that this would pop up and should have made note of it in my post.

As far as the ACR being trialed by the military, that would first require a capability development document, requests to industry, more documents, trials, more documents, more trials and lots of political push. The ACR will be on the civilian market years before it ever undergoes military trials.

Parabellum9x19mm
05-16-08, 10:14
i didn't know the contract was canceled. interesting, thanks for the linky.

seems like an absolute cluster!!!

wonder why the Navy wanted to go with BFI in the first place?

Severian
05-16-08, 10:16
blank

Mick_In_Texas
05-22-08, 22:34
Forgot to include the info on a book I found very helpful:

"The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee.
ISBN 1-888722-12-6

Walks you through a basic assembly process so you see what all the parts look like, their names, how they work together, and how they go together.

Next week, will check this out as well. The month has been a horror for me, time-wise. Like my beloved 1911 pistols, and SKS, although it's Chinese, I want to learn about my Bushmaster M4A2. I HOPE it continues my "luck" with all my previous firearms of various brands... some of mine have had their detractors, but MINE have all been 100% since 1982, many brands. I see some Bushmasters have had probs; I hope mine will prove not to be so.

We'll see, and I am sincerely grateful and appreciative of this thread, y'all's replies and excellent guidance and information the Bushmaster line. I don't know what to say, much, other than THANK ALL Y'ALL. I'm still reading...

Mick

Whytep38
05-23-08, 11:32
I see some Bushmasters have had probs; I hope mine will prove not to be so.Bushmaster is not alone in that regard. You can pretty much fix what needs fixing. I'd start with making sure the carrier keys are properly staked. You can find plenty of info on this site about what to look for and how to fix it. Also, C4IGrant recently fixed some Bushmasters that he plans to sell. One of his posts (in the last week or so) listed the required fixes, so that thread would be a great resource for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

Mick_In_Texas
05-23-08, 21:58
Bushmaster is not alone in that regard. You can pretty much fix what needs fixing. I'd start with making sure the carrier keys are properly staked. You can find plenty of info on this site about what to look for and how to fix it. Also, C4IGrant recently fixed some Bushmasters that he plans to sell. One of his posts (in the last week or so) listed the required fixes, so that thread would be a great resource for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

I am currently on your provided link. I have bookmarked it! I'm not going to fire my M4 until I have the time to check it... from the INSIDE. My Pmags are hung up, and Magpull's not responding... BUT: I hope my Bushmaster is sound, or can easily be made so.

It's a good weapon. I like its feel. Just handling it in my apartment, unloaded, seems real easy to get on target: stock extended to max, I wondered how the "birdcage" sighted on the front sight... the little aperture ring, with the top tang, lines up very quickly on the front sight blade... that's impressive, and nice to me, on the AR15/M4 platform with the birdcage. Good to know that any possible probs with my Bushmaster make, are not hard to fix... I've modified a number of my 1911 pistols, myself. I've also been "won" to the .223 Remington cartridge, in 55 grain FMJ bullet. Or M193 5.56x45 mm cartridge. I was always pretty much a .30-cal guy... and my SKS in 7.62x39mm NATO has its applications in general. But NOW, I think a good .223 is very versatile, if you have a rifle that is solid and reliable.

I really appreciate the welcome, and the free sharing of guidance, instructions, and information. I'm one of those folks who KNOWS I don't know everything about anything (I work with some who don't realize this fact)... I'm pretty knowledgeable on the M1911 handgun platform, but, there you go: same difference. I like to KNOW my weapons. Inside and out. I want them to work. NEVER want to have to use one defensively, although I HAVE had three armed encounters in my life with bad guys... NOT FUN. And thankfully, no shots fired. The bad guys were smart, in those situations. Thank my powers.

My power bless all y'all good folks here! I'll let y'all know how my Bushmaster checks out on the disassembly and examination. Thank y'all for helping me.

Y'all take care and be safe. I'm fixin' to be out of pocket online until end of next week.

Mick

Mick_In_Texas
06-12-08, 20:08
Sure thing Mick.

The only other thing I would look into for your Bushmaster is inspecting it for a properly-staked Bolt Carrier Key and staked Castle Nut (if you have a collapsing stock).

I've partially disassembled my M4A2 twice, in as many nights... I've got my bolt carrier out and laying here. The Torx screws are TIGHT, but the "pings" to hold them are extremely light. They're there, but like I say... I may contact Grant at G&R soon.

I don't know about the castle nut. Mine has the adjustable stock, not the AR15 rifle stock. That may be what you're refering to as the "collapsable" one.

Mags: I've had some probs with Magpul. But, resolved them today. The ones I ordered in OD Green were massively backordered; I switched to Foliage Green. I'll let y'all know how they feed and function in the Bushmaster. My BMI ones will feed reliably just racking rounds through them until empty. But, I'm still working on a place to fire this beauty.

It's a complicated firearm, for a mostly "pistolero (largely M1911 platforms, which I LOVE for their reliability and simplicity)" like me... but, I'm GOING to learn it, like I'm learning my SKS and like I learned my Mossberg shotguns. I hope I've got me a good one. I'm trying to save all these links y'all have provided!

Using a FMJ round to disassemble the weapon fascinates me... LOL: guess if you don't have ammo, there's no need to clean and lube! My 1911 Multi-Tool also works for my Bushmaster M4, SO FAR... LOL...

Y'all take care and be safe.

Mick

Severian
06-13-08, 10:54
blank

Mick_In_Texas
06-13-08, 19:08
Correct. The castle nut is the large ring-nut that holds on the collapsing stock. It should be staked in place so that it doesn't vibrate loose while shooting.

See this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5948&highlight=castle) and this one (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14634&highlight=castle).

... after fighting with my connection tonight, and looking at some of your references, my Bushy M4 has NO, repeat, no, staking on the castle nut!

That's odd. Not necessarily heartening to know, either.

It's got the three machined rectangular nicks on the side toward the receiver, but the plate it's against is as smooth as black ice all the way around. Not a scratch, not a ding, not a stake mark.

Bolt carrier aside, next couple of weeks I may contact Bushmaster. I've not had the chance to fire the rifle, as I'm trying to learn all I can about it prior to that initiation; but from your links, looks like Bushy slipped this one by without "finishing" it properly. I'm going to have to study the links you folks have provided here, before I make ANY major decision.

I'm obviously not in a combat situation (yet, I leave that for individual interpretation), but, still... would be a heck of a thing to got through a couple of hundred rounds and have the castle nut start loosening. As I said, the bolt carrier is staked, but it's very, very minimal.

This concerns me about the weapon's overall integrity now. We'll see, I guess. I'm not made of money. I don't know.

SO appreciate you folks guiding me and linking for me. I'm trying to learn.

Y'all take care and have a good weekend; fathers, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.

Mick

Iraqgunz
06-13-08, 19:18
QUOTE=Mick_In_Texas;177055]... after fighting with my connection tonight, and looking at some of your references, my Bushy M4 has NO, repeat, no, staking on the castle nut!

That's odd. Not necessarily heartening to know, either.

Actually that is typical Bushmaster. I have 500 of them here and they are not staked except for the ones that I have done.

It's got the three machined rectangular nicks on the side toward the receiver, but the plate it's against is as smooth as black ice all the way around. Not a scratch, not a ding, not a stake mark.

Bolt carrier aside, next couple of weeks I may contact Bushmaster. I've not had the chance to fire the rifle, as I'm trying to learn all I can about it prior to that initiation; but from your links, looks like Bushy slipped this one by without "finishing" it properly. I'm going to have to study the links you folks have provided here, before I make ANY major decision.

I wouldn't bother contacting them. They will give you a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers tap dance routine that will make you scratch your head. They know all too well about their not staking of bolt carrier key screws, castle nuts, and all the other stuff that they do.

I'm obviously not in a combat situation (yet, I leave that for individual interpretation), but, still... would be a heck of a thing to got through a couple of hundred rounds and have the castle nut start loosening. As I said, the bolt carrier is staked, but it's very, very minimal.

Stake it properly as it will loosen. I have fixed over about 10 here so far because they weren't staked correctly.

This concerns me about the weapon's overall integrity now. We'll see, I guess. I'm not made of money. I don't know.

Most of the issues can be fixed by you. Just search the forums here and get a copy of an M16/M4 Tech. Manual.

SO appreciate you folks guiding me and linking for me. I'm trying to learn.

Y'all take care and have a good weekend; fathers, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY.

Mick[/QUOTE]