PDA

View Full Version : Cosmoline on Circle 10 Mags...

Flankenstein
12-05-13, 12:12
I want to through these in boiling water. Will the polymer hold up?

kdstang
12-05-13, 14:32
Maybe, but why not just disassemble them and hose them out with gun scrubber? Didn't hurt the polymer on my Bulgy handguards, so I'd figure the polymer in the circle 10s would be just as tough, if not more so than the handguards.

Flankenstein
12-05-13, 15:19
Maybe, but why not just disassemble them and hose them out with gun scrubber? Didn't hurt the polymer on my Bulgy handguards, so I'd figure the polymer in the circle 10s would be just as tough, if not more so than the handguards.

I disassembled them last night and hit them with slip 725 and a toothbrush. Didn't do anything. Then hit them with hot (tap water hot) water and dawn dish soap. They are prob 90% clean but still enough cosmo on them to be a little sticky...

There is a ton of info all over the web about how to clean it off metal and wood. I haven't found much at all regarding plastics...

T2C
12-05-13, 15:59
Try kerosene.

Moose-Knuckle
12-05-13, 17:35
hit them with hot (tap water hot) water and dawn dish soap.

This is the method I have used and it has done the job everytime. Soak in hot soapy water, wipe with new sponge inside and out, rinse, towel dry, and let them air dry over night. I've never done any of this to the spings, followers, and floor plates however . . . a simple wipe down with shop towels takes care of the metal parts.

halmbarte
12-05-13, 18:43
The ((10)) waffles have steel reinforments in them that can rust.

If I had a whole bunch to decosmoline I'd use the dishwasher and pull them out w/o the dry cycle. Dry the steel bits and oil with good gun oil.

Then run the washer empty for a cycle to get rid of any petro residue.

H

Moose-Knuckle
12-05-13, 18:54
The ((10)) waffles have steel reinforments in them that can rust.

Correct, to date I have never had any rust on any of the steel inserts with the above mentioned method. Towel dry + air dry = no rust.

Flankenstein
12-06-13, 11:38
Close to boiling water and dawn dish soap did the trick.

Do all Circle 10 mags come with cosmo?

Seems strange since they are primarily polymer...

Peshawar
12-06-13, 12:56
Close to boiling water and dawn dish soap did the trick.

Do all Circle 10 mags come with cosmo?

Seems strange since they are primarily polymer...

Haven't seen that before myself.... But, perhaps it's a new policy in case some of these mags were destined for Libya or something and they wanted to help protect them from saltwater mist while in transit. ;)

Moose-Knuckle
12-07-13, 15:43
All my 7.62 ((10)) mags I purchased over ten years ago and they came with a light coat of cosmoline. Nothing close to the amount the Chinese pack their shit in. The most recent ((10)) mags I have purchased (two years ago) were 5.56 and they had the same light coat of cosomoline as my 7.62s. Funny though, I never noticed any on my 5.45 mags.

Flankenstein
12-07-13, 18:58
All my 7.62 ((10)) mags I purchased over ten years ago and they came with a light coat of cosmoline. Nothing close to the amount the Chinese pack their shit in. The most recent ((10)) mags I have purchased (two years ago) were 5.56 and they had the same light coat of cosomoline as my 7.62s. Funny though, I never noticed any on my 5.45 mags.

Yes, the coat on these mags is what i would consider to be light also. Still kind of a bitch to remove but without touching them I didn't even know they were coated with anything.

I wonder why some are coated and others are not? Anybody know or have a legitimate guess?