PDA

View Full Version : Current Production Waffen Werks AK-74

tuck
12-05-13, 16:28
I have an opportunity to trade into a current production Waffen Werks AK-74, with the in-house receiver and ESS barrel. The current owner purchased it new approximately 5 months ago and fired 80 rounds through it. It comes with 7 tapco mags, and 1k rounds of ammo. The pictures he's sent me look good, but after some research I'm seeing some pretty mixed reviews on current production rifles from Waffen Werks. I'm new to the 5.45 game and would appreciate any insight. I would be trading a HK USP 9mm with extra mags and holsters.

Auto426
12-05-13, 20:11
That doesn't sound like a bad trade value wise, but I would want to look over and possibly test fire the WW74 before going any further. Apparently they are having some problems with the new in house receivers being out of spec, and their overall build quality seems to have gone down with the major rush on guns we've seen during this past year.

Atlantic has a couple of nice options right now when it comes to AK-74's. The James River Armory builds they are selling look like they are the equals of what the WW74's used to be and at $800 are a tally cheaper than what the last batch of WW74's sold for. They also have SGL31-68's for $1200, which gives you a brand new Russian Saiga based AK complete with original Russian CHF chrome lined barrel.

Hizzie
12-05-13, 20:55
There have been reports of serious QC issues with the current guns.

Peshawar
12-05-13, 23:29
I'd avoid one built on one of their receivers. YMMV.

RMiller
12-06-13, 07:54
I would want to test fire it. Like mentioned their in house receivers have been known to cause issues. Well, not so much the receiver, but the holes not aligning properly( therefore putting the safety, trigger, and cross pins at an angle) causing internals to bind or not align correctly during operation. Most get FTF's and FTE's. The older ones are built on Nodak Spud receiver and are gtg .

However if you can't test fire I would at least get a few good clear shots of the receiver with the dust cover and bolt removed. The ones I've seen are very noticeable.

Good luck, the 74' game is fun, and cheap. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tuck
12-06-13, 10:59
Thanks for the replies. I probably won't get a chance to test fire it, but I will try to get some pictures of inside the receiver.

In addition to the holes being crooked, is there anything else in particular I need to pay attention to with these rifles? I know enough to look for canted sights and gas blocks, and to check the magazine fit, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to AK's, and especially WW 74's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Walleye
12-06-13, 13:26
If you can, check the ejector for signs of mushrooming. Some reports seem to indicate poor heat treating here and after a few hundred rounds the ejector no longer works reliably.

My WW AK-74 was built prior to SH on a WW receiver and I've got close to a full tin through mine, plus some GT; no problems at all.