PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate handguard length

paulee
12-05-13, 17:29
Taking a look at my 16" barrel, the rail is only 9" long, and I am wanting to get my hand further forward on the gun to help with control. Is there a recommended distance between the end of the handguard and the end of the barrel? Could I put a 13" rail on the gun and not cause any problems?
Also, I'm looking to mount my light in the 12 o'clock position on a BCM middy with the tactical compensator on it. How far back from the end of the barrel do I need to mount the light to prevent a bunch of gunk from getting on the lens of the light?

tacoops
12-05-13, 17:58
A 13" hand guard would work fine and in my opinion is the perfect length for a 16" barrel. I recently put a Noverske NSR 13.5" on my carbine and it greatly improved the handling. As far as the light goes the closer to the end of the barrel you can get the better, that way you will have less of a shadow cast by the barrel. I wouldn't be too worried about gunk getting on the lense, just make sure when you clean it you don't use an abrasive cleaner that might harm the lense.

rackham1
12-05-13, 18:18
As far as the light goes the closer to the end of the barrel you can get the better, that way you will have less of a shadow cast by the barrel. I wouldn't be too worried about gunk getting on the lense, just make sure when you clean it you don't use an abrasive cleaner that might harm the lense.

Agreed, and a skim coat of chapstick, froglube, or similar on the lens beforehand will make most of the gunk wipe-away-able.

mitommy
12-07-13, 20:24
I put a15" Midwest Industries SS2 on my 16" BCM upper. This is the 2nd AR that I have had with that length combination without ant problems. This set up lets me get a long reach. I use the sling stud as a reference point where to put my hand (so I don't get burned by gas from the comp).

JS-Maine
12-07-13, 22:08
The 13" rail/16" barrel combo is very common. I have a 13" Troy VTAC Alpha on a 16" BCM middy that is very functional and comfortable. In my case, my long arms naturally want to reach beyond the gas block even on a mid length system. The 13" rail provides a solution, a longer sight radius, and more space for light placement, etc. I would bet you'll be happy with a similar set up.

TehLlama
12-08-13, 23:32
Even with a reflex can, 13" won't impede a thing - so go 13" and don't even think twice about it. More length is great, and not using it all is still 100% fine.