PDA

View Full Version : Optic for Marlin 336 (Whitetail NE Forest)

Mac5.56
12-05-13, 22:46
I didn't want to pose this question on the Optics sub-forum because it isn't related to an M4 and I didn't want to clutter that area up, but if the mods feel it is better suited for that forum and I will get more hits let's move it on over there...

Anyway, here's the backstory. I've been hunting the NY forests with my Marlin 336 for several years now and I love the gun for both this environment and the game I am hunting. I've pulled deer, it is very quick for me to shoot, and it's perfect for this environment as I seldom have shots that stretch out past 75 yards. This year however was the first year I debated investing in an optic, and these are the two reasons I'm considering glassing my brush gun:

1. I'm having a bit of an issue with lining up my sight posts when the light conditions are optimally bad right at dawn. You know that nice neutral grey/blue almost fog that is optimal for deer and hard for you and me. This is where a Red Dot would excel, I would have a full freezer x3 this season and a small little rack for the birds to munch on over the winter, but....:

2. I hunt in an antler restricted zone that extends well beyond what I am reasonably capable of driving out of. The antler restriction is needed in my area, but this is the first year I experienced how much of a pain in the ass it can be. The restriction is: Deer must have one antler with at least 3 tines over 1" long.

Here's the condition I want to optimize: Glassing deer in low light, lots of over growth, possibly a need for a really quick shot, and the above antler restrictions.

I was standing within 40 yards from a nice little 3 point (NY 6 point, IE 3 on each antler) playing with a little spike this season pre dawn. I sat and glassed while counting the tines on the bigger buck for about 20 minutes. I was looking up hill, in a standing position switching between glass and the hammer of my rifle the entire time. When it was all said and done by the time I visually confirmed it was legal to shoot the small buck, I had my hammer cocked, and was drawing the gun, he heard something I did, saw me and bolted. It was totally the transition from glass to rifle that spooked the guy... I'm not upset with my performance for the season as I could have reached out and touched this buck ten times over in a different world, but an optic would mean steak on my plate tonight.

I've determined a convoluted list of needs for the optic I'm looking for:

+Illuminated/Low Light reticle
+1x5 Magnification
+Light weight
+Limited/No Eye Relief
+Low Profile that can be mounted to a rail on a 336 Marlin
+(optional) Has the possibility of a slim quick release mount so I can mount it only during optimal conditions.

What optic would you suggest, and keep in mind that I am not really willing to spend more then I would on an Aimpoint T1.

Sorry I'm long winded, I've had a satisfying and disappointing season this year, it's been a long day and I'm really excited to set this gun up a bit better for next year.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

MurtaughF3
12-06-13, 13:37
I know my suggestion will be a little off from what your looking for so please forgive me, it's just a suggestion. But I'd check out two things.

1. Marlin Owners Forum, lots of marlin lovers with all different set ups.
2. Look into the Redfield 2-7x33, I've got in my AR and will be moving to a 336 as soon as I get one, or just get another for it. Great scope, great price.

Like I said, I know not exactly what your looking for, but at the least check out the marlin owners site. Just like here, lots of great guys will to help if they can.

ryan
12-06-13, 13:42
1-4x20 Leupold VariX2.

Mac5.56
12-07-13, 09:20
Thanks for your thoughts!

Pilot1
12-07-13, 10:22
I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 on my Marlin 336 .30-30 that I have used mainly for PA Whitetail. However, as shots are typically under 100 yards, I am thinking of going to a 1-4x or maybe just a fixed 4x scope.

jandbj
12-07-13, 10:48
Weaver V3 1-3x20 in a set of low warne or leupold qd rings. Around $200 including the rings. Not illuminated but covers all the other bases.

Always have the irons as an backup.

Aegis
03-01-14, 16:39
I'm a fan of the fixed power for hunting.

I run a Leupold VXII scout 2.5x28 on a lightweight Ruger Frontier for Whitetail.

Running a German #1 reticle which is fine for out to 300 and fantastic 100 and in.

SHIVAN
03-01-14, 17:00
Leupold VX3 1.5-5