PDA

View Full Version : Nickle Boron Bolt?

Oak
12-06-13, 14:13
I was just checking out a website looking for a spare bolt and found a bolt that is Nickle Boron coated. There are claims of high lubricity and cooler operating temps.
Is NB for real or are there some downsides I should be aware of? I'm just looking for a spare that will probably never get used, since I'm a plinker who will take a few classes whenever time and money allow it.

Thanks all,
Oak

markm
12-06-13, 14:50
They're pretty cool. The cooler temps claim is a bunch of bullshit on par with what the piston sales clowns claim. Bolts don't get that hot anyway.

The NB bolt will get blackened and look about like a regular finished bolt unlead you are a clean freak... but they're decent.

Oak
12-06-13, 14:56
Thank you for the reply.
Since I posted the question, I've been researching the subject. I haven't found anything to say it's bs. The bolt I was thinking of buying was a few bucks less than another so I think I'll buy that and a firing pin and cam pin with it.
I'm not interested in the less or no lube claims, I don't mind cleaning and lubing when needed. I'm just looking for a viable, reliable replacement spare bolt assembly.

Oak

TactTeam
12-06-13, 14:57
Been running the ACB II in 2 different guns for about 2 years. NiB is a little easier to clean and is a little slicker even prior to lube. I have run it dry for shorts periods with no problem. No real hard running, though.

Oak
12-06-13, 15:11
Thanks guys. Just placed my order so soon I'll have a spare bolt expecting never to use it, at least until I build a rifle.

Oak

Oak
12-06-13, 15:13
Oh yeah.
If something ain't purdy, it better be butt ugly!

Oak

philpac33
12-06-13, 16:01
The claims of being much easier to clean are only partially true. Most of it wipes right off with a rag but the tail of my Fail Zero bolt has been permanently gunked up from the first 500 rounds it fired. No amount of Fireclean or CLP or Hoppes#9 will take that stuff off, much like my phosphate bolts. Lots of people have given NiB BCGs a fair shake and for the most part they've worked just fine. But the real question that needs to be asked is "will you buy another?". I like my FZ just fine but the last 2 BCGs I've purchased were Rainier Arms phosphates.

Oak
12-06-13, 16:29
I was just on the Rainier Arms website and saw the NiB bolts for $10.00 less than the phosphate bolts, which is what started me on this whole question. So I bought it. As I said, the ease of cleaning or claimed ability to run dry really doesn't matter to me. If I use it, I'll lube it as normal and clean it when I'm done.

Oak