PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Questions

shane_eld
12-06-13, 20:45
First. Hello all good evening. I am wondering a couple things. I have ISMI chrome silicone magazine springs in my pmag 40's and they seem to have quite a bit more power than the standard springs so what I am wondering is could the ISMI springs be too powerful and cause the feed lips to spread since the mag is plastic or is the PMAG much stronger than that?
Second. How much and how should one rapid fire a BCM mid length ar-15 without destroying the hammer forged barrel? I usually shoot ten rounds at a time and not very fast but I usually do not let the barrel cool and shoot about 200 rounds in about hour and a half to two hours. Every once in a great while I will shoot twenty rounds pretty quick and rarely do a mag dump.
Thanks for reading.

Col_Crocs
12-06-13, 21:55
I'd ask magpul.
As for your barrel, dont baby it. It was made to be run hard. Youre not going to destroy it. Look up filthy 14.

NeoNeanderthal
12-07-13, 00:12
Dude, you will be all set. I went to a vickers class last summer and shot nearly a thousand rounds and got all jacked up when my gun got hot. This summer i went to a Costa class and shot 2k rounds, it is incredible what a well made gun can go through. Many many hobby guns choked. Filthy 14 is for sure a good read- just remember this gun/guns were well lubed and made to a high standard (bcm ext). Keep your gun well lubed and run it hard.

shane_eld
12-07-13, 15:00
Awsome. Ya BCM puts out an amazing weapon. Damn I just cant keep my hands off it. I think my wife is jelous.

thebarracuda
12-07-13, 15:41
I know what you are saying about your barrel question. I came to the ar world from primarily bolt guns. So for a long time, 20 rounds and a little heat bothered me. Now, I shoot my ARs without care, because a good barrel, like in your BCM, can take anything thrown at them. It is well tried, tested, and proven. See the guys on here that run them hard in classes. I haven't hurt mine doing exactly what you mentioned, and we are light shooters compared to many on this site. Fear not!

Wake27
12-07-13, 15:57
Why did you replace the springs in your PMAGs?

Mamiller
12-07-13, 16:34
I wouldn't worry about either.

shane_eld
12-07-13, 18:07
I replaced the springs in my pmag 40's mainly to see if the ismi springs from brownells would work in a pmag. I also like the extra strength and its a peice of mind for me when I want to keep them loaded all the time. Probably over kill though. I wonder if they exert too much pressure on the feed lips because they have more power?

Airhasz
12-07-13, 19:30
[QUOTE=shane_eld;1808993]I replaced the springs in my pmag 40's mainly to see if the ismi springs from brownells would work in a pmag. I also like the extra strength and its a peice of mind for me when I want to keep them loaded all the time. Probably over kill though. I wonder if they exert too much pressure on the feed lips because they have more power?[/

Skip replacing new springs and stockpile ammo instead.

shane_eld
12-07-13, 21:21
Oh I have plenty of ammo. Me and a buddy went in on a pallet last year.

Wake27
12-07-13, 21:53
I replaced the springs in my pmag 40's mainly to see if the ismi springs from brownells would work in a pmag. I also like the extra strength and its a peice of mind for me when I want to keep them loaded all the time. Probably over kill though. I wonder if they exert too much pressure on the feed lips because they have more power?

So you wanted piece of mind but now are wondering if the new springs are too much? PMAGs have an awesome reputation, replacing the springs in news ones is just changing something for the sake of it. Put the old ones back in and don't worry about them.

SpankMonkey
12-07-13, 22:00

Pfft...Rookie.

SteveS
12-08-13, 15:52
You are talking about a rifle/carbine built to machine gun quality. BCM quality is what quality would call quality.

Plato
12-08-13, 16:16

No such thing as plenty.

TunaFisherman
12-08-13, 16:46
How many rounds came on your pallet ? Just curious.
Pmags dont need any spring changes. I keep mine always loaded 18/20.
Like to guys that know said above...run it wet, run it hard.

Wake27
12-08-13, 16:51
I've never once downloaded a mag. I know its preferred for some, but general consensus now seems to be that you don't need to. At least with PMAGs.

shane_eld
12-08-13, 17:36
I think around 50,000 rounds.

Iraqgunz
12-08-13, 19:49
Just so you know, you actually wasted money. Magazine springs do not set or wear from being loaded, it comes from compression and decompression cycling. Magazines are a disposable item and so are springs.

Zirk208
12-08-13, 21:31
So you wanted piece of mind but now are wondering if the new springs are too much? PMAGs have an awesome reputation, replacing the springs in news ones is just changing something for the sake of it. Put the old ones back in and don't worry about them.

+1 This. In search for peace of mind, you replaced a part with one of unknown compatibility, and are now searching for...peace of mind.

shane_eld
12-08-13, 21:47
Stainless Steel springs do take a set very quickly from being loaded. I was trying to avoid that but it doesnt matter. I replaced the after market unknown compatibility springs with the stock ones. I know those ones are good.