PDA

View Full Version : Poly Tech Legend info

slowrx
12-06-13, 21:44
Alright guys this is my first post here. I have been lurking for quite some time and finally decided to post. I am an Ar/M4 guy and know nothing at all about the Ak platform. My grandfather recently gave me an AK he bought some time ago and I have been searching but want to know just what I have. Its a Poly Tech Legend AK with an underfolding stock, I also learned it is pre ban. It is in brand new condition in its original box with all manuals/accessories/3 mags/bayonet etc. My grandfather said he shot it one time, however after inspecting it, it really appears to have never once been fired. Unless he literally meant one round. What am I looking at value wise with the gun? I will try and get some pictures tomorrow. I dont really know what to do with it at the moment. I will most likely never fire it and not being an AK guy I am tempted to sell it to someone who would appreciate the gun. So that being said...any insight?

Thanks again- Ricky

oef24
12-06-13, 22:16
Your grandfather left you in my opinion the "Holy Grail" of AK's. IMHO, the Polytech Legend is the best AK ever made. NIB, they are bringing over $3K. I would keep it and shoot it.

O

SteyrAUG
12-06-13, 22:43
Complete with box and accessories in "like new" condition, yeah it could go as high as $3k.

Moose-Knuckle
12-07-13, 20:44
From time to time I entertain the fantasy of walking into an estate sale, pawn shop, or happening upon a Craig List ad for one of these "POS junk made in China" rifles for $300.

OP, you have what is considered a collectors item, congrats sir.

slowrx
12-07-13, 21:01
Wow, thats nice to hear. It was handed to me in the box with all of its accessories, what looks like some sort of warranty/registration card and the manual. Only took it out of the box to store it in my safe. I most likely wont sell it, and I'm glad I didn't when a guy at work offered me a couple hundred bucks.

oef24
12-07-13, 23:27
From time to time I entertain the fantasy of walking into an estate sale, pawn shop, or happening upon a Craig List ad for one of these "POS junk made in China" rifles for $300.

OP, you have what is considered a collectors item, congrats sir.

It's funny you mention that because that exact same thing happened to me about 3 years ago at a local store. POS Chinese AK is what the clerk called a double underfolder Poly. It was marked $595. I said if it was such a POS, would he take $400. It's in the safe now. Keep looking. It just might happen.

O

SteyrAUG
12-08-13, 00:25
It's funny you mention that because that exact same thing happened to me about 3 years ago at a local store. POS Chinese AK is what the clerk called a double underfolder Poly. It was marked $595. I said if it was such a POS, would he take $400. It's in the safe now. Keep looking. It just might happen.

O

I remember several years ago I found a great deal on 10 East German SKS magazines at a pawn shop for $5 each. Turns out they fit in my HK 93 perfectly.

Moose-Knuckle
12-08-13, 23:39

O

Nice! I have heard of stories like yours before . . . they give me hope! There are so many people out there that have no idea what they have. When they encounter Chinese AKs and the like they tend to treat them like the crap Wal-Mart imports.

MadDog
12-09-13, 10:24
There is a Poly Tech Lengend on GB right now. No reserve with an opening bid of $3,300

D Golden
12-09-13, 14:41
A n.i.b. legend folder just sold for $3166.00 on another gun auction site. I still have the 2 i bought in Jan. 89. One i did shoot 90 rds thru, cleaned it and put it away. the other is like the day i bought it. Mine are fixed stocks i wanted the look of the ones that were in Vietnam. Question: how to these rate as compared to an Arsenal ?

SteyrAUG
12-09-13, 21:39
Question: how to these rate as compared to an Arsenal ?

Tough call.

A Polytech Legend up against a Bulgarian SAM 7 series would be the closest equivalent. Obviously the Arsenal is going to have a few updates but I think the Polytech would have it beat in fit and finish. I suspect the Arsenal would be more accurate. Obviously the Polytech has much more collector value.

A SGL21 series up against a Polytech AKM would have similar strengths and weaknesses.

There are also going to be more options for the Arsenal series, trying to find anything that fits a preban Chinese receiver can be difficult.