PDA

View Full Version : Best 308 headstamp for semi-auto reloading

JiminAZ
12-06-13, 21:49
Have been reloading 308 for bolt guns for some time. About to acquire a LMT MWS 16". Have the opportunity to acquire 308 range brass sorted by headstamp. Wondering if you could share some wisdom with me on what brass is most durable, resistant to bulging, etc. in these semi-auto guns.

I will not know the history of this brass, so expect some culls. Have gauges to check, have the ability to remove primer swages, trim to length, etc.

Just need to know what holds up and shoots best.

Thanks.

eightmillimeter
12-07-13, 02:50
I use Lake City for M14. M14 is harder on brass than the AR10 so you will be good there. I buy buy once fired LC brass on Gunbroker. There are a lot of guys on there that sort by headstamp and clean it in stainless media then sell it on the cheap. Its usually once-fired machine gun brass but I have never had a problem sizing them back to spec, ever. They always need a good trim though. Look for sellers with good reviews on their brass.

JiminAZ
12-07-13, 10:36
Thanks,

Couple of follow on questions:

Any headstamp that I should know to avoid?

What constitutes "sell it on the cheap" pricewise for say 1000 brass.

GMZ
12-07-13, 10:50
I like to reload PPU and GGG.

NWcityguy2
12-08-13, 00:35
As far as commercial brass goes Federal is the softest and will have loose primer pockets the quickest.

mic2377
12-08-13, 07:56
I prefer LC for semi autos, but have used WCC military brass as well. One caveat is that NATO brass generally has notably reduced case capacity compared to commercial cases (think -2 gr powder for the average load). If you are getting once-fired brass from machineguns it is a good idea to check and make sure that there is not an incipent case head separation, this can be done with a paper clip.

I have also used FC and RP commercial brass as well. The primer pocket issue is less significant for semi auto's as brass tends to have a shorter lifespan such that it is not the limiting factor.

SSA makes VERY nice brass that has excellent internal capacity as well as good metallurgy. It is expensive however.

markm
12-10-13, 07:24
I avoid Black Hills and Winchester .308 brass. Both have thin necks compared to LC, FC, and Lapua.

I'd shoot FC brass or LC brass for an auto. I've not had any problems with FC... and since an auto loader won't be able to handle full house Bolt gun loads, it should hold up fine for several loadings.

GMZ
12-10-13, 18:19
I prefer LC for semi autos, but have used WCC military brass as well. One caveat is that NATO brass generally has notably reduced case capacity compared to commercial cases (think -2 gr powder for the average load). If you are getting once-fired brass from machineguns it is a good idea to check and make sure that there is not an incipent case head separation, this can be done with a paper clip.

I have also used FC and RP commercial brass as well. The primer pocket issue is less significant for semi auto's as brass tends to have a shorter lifespan such that it is not the limiting factor.

SSA makes VERY nice brass that has excellent internal capacity as well as good metallurgy. It is expensive however.

Ive heard this several places, is their brass made by Nosler?

SPDGG
12-10-13, 18:24
fwiw/imho:

Havent loaded for Semi 7.62/.308Win in some time, but for durability & cost: LC Prepped or if those with deep pockets Lapua

markm
12-11-13, 07:16
Lapua is silly to run in most auto loaders. Too rough on the brass. Worth it for Bolt gunning though since you can usually get 5-10 loads depending.

opsoff1
12-12-13, 15:12
Lapua is silly to run in most auto loaders. Too rough on the brass. Worth it for Bolt gunning though since you can usually get 5-10 loads depending.

+1 for this advice - I'd never waste Lapua in a gas gun. LC is my ingredient for a gas gun (M-14's) Auto-loaders and especially M14's are B-R-U-T-A-L on brass. Lapua is so exquisite that it is actually frightening.

mic2377
12-13-13, 00:51
Ive heard this several places, is their brass made by Nosler?

I have no actual idea if SSA brass is made by Nosler, as I have not compared them side-by-side. I will say that I did load a bunch of brand new Hornady 460 S&W brass up recently, and it looked similar in construction/finish to the SSA brass. As a side note, SSA and Nosler are priced similarly and look just about the same, so perhaps one company is cranking it all out? Pure conjecture on my part of course...

TomD
12-13-13, 08:47
I recall seeing that Norma made Nosler, but this is definitely IIRC! Anyone have experience with Hornady cases?

HKGuns
12-15-13, 09:01
Anyone have experience with Hornady cases?

I haven't had any issues with Hornady .308, I shoot it in my hunting bolt gun and have reloaded the spent cases without any issues.

It seems a "bit" softer than the LC brass is the only observation I've made thus far....I only recently added .308 to my reloading bench, so take this for what it is worth.

In general I find Hornady makes quality stuff, not sure if they make or outsource their brass production. As large as they are I have to think it is their brass.

eightmillimeter
12-17-13, 23:04
Thanks,

Couple of follow on questions:

Any headstamp that I should know to avoid?

What constitutes "sell it on the cheap" pricewise for say 1000 brass.

Sorry for the delayed response. My last 1K was stainless cleaned (I still needed to deprime, size, trim) for around 12.5 cents per case delivered. Like I said, look for sellers with good reviews.

As far as avoiding brass the only thing to really watch out for is some of the Indian(or maybe it was Paki)/South African that are Berdan primed. FC brass is soft, but useable in a bolt gun (not as good for your Ar10).

For me my general rule of thumb is semi auto = Lake City. The reduced case capacity is not an issue because you will want to run gas gun loads on the medium warm to medium side of things. Warm to hot loads in gas guns like the Ar10 (M14 especially) is just asking for all kinds of weird problems.

Bimmer
12-21-13, 21:24
I like to reload PPU and GGG.

Yes, this is what I have, too.

The guys over at TFL swear by the GGG (Lithuanian) brass.

JiminAZ
12-30-13, 10:26
Sorry for the delayed response. My last 1K was stainless cleaned (I still needed to deprime, size, trim) for around 12.5 cents per case delivered. Like I said, look for sellers with good reviews..

Well that worked out. Did a deal locally for .13 a case.

m1a_scoutguy
12-30-13, 11:57
I grabbed 500 of this from Wideners,,pretty decent deal ! The bulk of "MY" 500 were Lake City with 36 of them the LC Long Range Brass,,which does not have a crimped primer pocket !! The rest of the lot had a lot of WCC and a mix mash of other headstamps,,but all had the Nato stamp,,so they are kinda supposed to be made to the same spec ! Anyways,,I will keep all the LC stuff separate and the LC/LR stuff will go to my bolt gun,,but the rest will be more than fine for any Semi-Auto 308 rifle,,,I'm a M1a guy,,but this brass will be great for a AR type 308 also !! Take a look,,ya can't have to much good brass laying around !! :p http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000363&dir=278|282|909|980