PDA

View Full Version : Reloading and Ammo Storage Questions

ryr8828
12-07-13, 09:42
I've been eyeing a hornady lnl ap for quite a while now and have almost convinced myself to buy it.

First question is how big does my reloading table need to be?
I put a workbench in my utility room where my heat pump air handler is a few years ago to work on rifles. I have a small vise mounted on one end of it. The table is very solid and is 55 inches by 26 inches. I have 28 inches from the front of the table to the wall behind (where my bar stool sits when I work on something). I have a cheap gun safe down at the right end by the vise I bought to put cheaper shotguns and rifles in because my other safes filled up, but it could be moved and the table lengthened to 68 inches which would then make it 68 inches by 26 inches if need be. I'd rather not have to move the cheap safe though. The top of the table is 36 inches from the floor.
At the left end of the bench is a heavy duty storage shelf unit where I have ammo and mags.
The total area of all this available space counting the shelf unit is 8 ft. by 54 inches.
So the first question is will this be enough room to set up a reloader?

Next question would be reloading out in the shop which is unheated. I built my inside table before the tornado and since the tornado the insurance company was nice enough to provide me with a new 50x30 building with lots of workbench space. I use a kerosene heater now when I'm out there and have a window ac unit for in the summer, but I only use them when I'm out there. I'm not sure about having reloading components out there where it can get real cold or real hot. I'm rehabbing a wood stove to put in the shop, but it will just be fired up when I'm out there.
I also have a welder and a grinder out in the shop so I can see where this might be a safety issue.

Last question would have to do with storing ammunition out in the shop. If I am able to set up my reloader in the utility room (outlined in question one) I really need to move some ammo out to make room for components and stuff. I've got a serious load of 5.45 in crates, 5.56, 7.62 in boxes and ammo cans, and ammo cans full of pistol calibers. Will it ruin it to store it out in the shop in an unheated, uncooled space?

Thanks in advance for trying to sort through my questions since the more I look at them the more they start to look like gibberish.

HackerF15E
12-07-13, 09:51
Will it ruin it to store it out in the shop in an unheated, uncooled space?

Our Uncle Sam stores his small arms ammo in non-climate controlled storage igloos.

In general, ammunition is a lot more resistant to temperature swings than a lot of "internet wisdom" gives it credit for. So long as it isn't seeing extreme temperature changes on a regular basis, it should be fine.

JiminAZ
12-07-13, 14:56
I live in AZ where obviously it gets really hot out in the garage in the summer. I store projectiles, primers and loaded ammo out there. Lead bullets with wax based lube, and loaded ammo with wax based lube get stored inside. I've had that stuff melt in the back of my car. Might or might not in the garage - so I play it safe and keep it inside. Also, my bulk powder gets stored inside.

My bench right now is small as we are renting the place we're in. It is inside otherwise it would be out of commission from the heat several months a year. I conserved bench space by mounting 550's on the ends of the bench, leaving room in the middle for other work (gun cleaning, general maintenance work on other things, etc. It also means I don't have the press hanging off the front of the bench.

If I were you, I would also worry about raw steel on dies and gauges and tools rusting in an unheated shop.

markm
12-10-13, 07:26
I don't store my ammo or components outside of climate control. I could probably get away with it... but it comes down to...

How important is your ammo to you?

Ironbutt
12-10-13, 08:47
I store ammo, primers & powder in steel ammo cans in my basement. My gun safe is down there also, so I keep a dehumidifier running just to be safe.