PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained Booms

graffex
12-07-13, 22:50
Get your tin foil out...

Anyone live in a area that's had these unexplained booms occurring? Apparently it's been happening all over the country for some years. It's been happening here in the baltimore area today for the last 2 hours or so. People have been panicking and calling 911. By loud booms I mean ****ing earthshaking booms that scare the shit out of you like a mac truck running into your car parked out front at 100 mph. But authorities and scientists and what not all investigate and no causes can be found. If you google unexplained booms there is all kind of information about it. It's not thunder, nothing is registering seismic activity, military says its not them, I'm really curious what the hell it is because I've heard it and it just doesn't make any sense. My local Facebook news blog has thousands of people all commenting on the loud booms and no one seems to know what they are. It really is bizarre and rather unsettling. My girl is all scared and I tell her it's the end of the world, or spaceships are out zipping around. She doesn't find it nearly as funny as I do :)

Just a few examples of what I'm talking about.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/theyre-back-unexplained-booming-noises-reported-from-south-carolina-to-california/

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_db9ca928-8dee-11e2-801c-001a4bcf887a.html?fb_action_ids=227441624068021&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Dead Man
12-07-13, 23:29
Sounds like sonic boom. If the Air Force has some radical new plane that's doing Mach 54, I'm sure they're not gonna raise their hand and say "Yea, that's us. Sorry folks.. but that things a lotta fun to drive. Can't help ourselves."

graffex
12-07-13, 23:37
I've heard sonic booms before and this sounds different and much louder. It could be some kind of crazy secret aircraft, but I'm not convinced it's coming from a plane, it is tremendously loud. It's also not uncommon to hear ordnance going off from Aberdeen but I'm telling you this is MUCH louder and has more physical concussion. That also doesn't explain it happening in places not anywhere near military bases and such. It literally does feel like a earthquake based on the violence coming from the ground but they happen and nothing shows up in seismic activity readings.

Javelin
12-07-13, 23:51
I've heard sonic booms before and this sounds different and much louder. It could be some kind of crazy secret aircraft, but I'm not convinced it's coming from a plane, it is tremendously loud. It's also not uncommon to hear ordnance going off from Aberdeen but I'm telling you this is MUCH louder and has more physical concussion. That also doesn't explain it happening in places not anywhere near military bases and such. It literally does feel like a earthquake based on the violence coming from the ground but they happen and nothing shows up in seismic activity readings.

Are they fracking near you?

JimmyB62
12-07-13, 23:58
Never heard one but I was under the impression that those reporting the phenomenon say it sounds/feels like it's coming from underground (but without seismic sensing/recording).

SteyrAUG
12-08-13, 00:15
Never heard one but I was under the impression that those reporting the phenomenon say it sounds/feels like it's coming from underground (but without seismic sensing/recording).

Quatermass knows EXACTLY what it is.

Quatermass and the Pit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit_%28film%29)

Javelin
12-08-13, 00:18

Quatermass and the Pit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit_%28film%29)

You think so? I was thinking it was something like pacific rim. Edited wtf.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-08-13, 00:39
Civil engineer here who has both seen the consequences of this phenomenon AND saw it happen in person in Philadelphia (not as part of my job; just happened to see it). Do you have public sewer in the area, or do the people hearing the booms have it? If so, I'd bet anyone a bajillion bucks it's that.

The sewer gases (methane and a ton of other acidic gases) build up in the sewer, but unlike a natural gas utility line that explodes when such things happen, sewer lines have an outlet: manholes. When the gases hit a critical mass in the sewer line, they will literally explode manholes 10s to 100s of feet in the air, which in and of itself can sound like an explosion, and then depending on how high the manhole flies, it can also cause an insanely loud noise when it hits the ground.

I never believed the reports of residents when I'd arrive onsite after these incidents. They'd always talk about how they thought it was a bomb or a low-flying jet with a sonic boom, until one of them finds a manhole missing or out of place and calls us (and we put A and B together). Then I was in Philly one day with my girlfriend, and it happened a few blocks down the street from us. The sound was INSANE. I would have sworn it was a bombing, but then I saw the manhole fly back to earth. Literally sounded like a terrorist attack. Was the loudest explosion-like noise I've ever heard (and as a civil eng, I've been on demo sights and see TNT used to break rock for excavation).

I'd check these things out if possible. The sound can carry for miles, so even if you don't have public sewer yourself, if it's a few neighborhoods over or within a few miles, you may hear it too.

Hope that helps. :)

Dead Man
12-08-13, 01:02

Well, mach 54 = 18,376m/s (at sea level, not calculating for altitude pressure this time of night) or 18km/s... you could go from LA to New York in about 3:45 seconds, at mach 54. That seems to cover your reported area nicely. I declare: mystery solved!

jpmuscle
12-08-13, 01:57
Nonsense all of you. I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.

Sent from my DROID X2

MountainRaven
12-08-13, 01:59
Nonsense all of you. I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.

Sent from my DROID X2

I regret to inform you that not only did Steyr beat you to proclaiming it to be aliens, he also proclaimed it to be ancient aliens.

jpmuscle
12-08-13, 05:38
I blame tapatalk

Sent from my DROID X2

Tzed250
12-08-13, 05:57

One of my favorite movies of all time. I especially enjoyed Colonel Breen's fate.

SilverBullet432
12-08-13, 06:58
We recently had a natrual gas tank explode at 3 am, shook houses for nearly 100 miles around! This happened friday.

NoveskeFan
12-08-13, 07:13
I attribute the window shaking booms at my house to Camp Peary or NWS. If it's not them...Mach 54 aliens.

ptmccain
12-08-13, 07:43
They are sonic booms, period.

Please... take off the tin foil hats, put them down, and step away from this thread slowly.

graffex
12-08-13, 08:24

Shorts
12-08-13, 08:51
They are down here too in S.FL. Noticed them after we moved in a couple months ago. And they are very strong too. Vibrates the house with a resonance to it, not just a single impact. We lived in northern Japan for a few years and experienced a lot of earthquakes, from the mundane to the rockn' & rolling at 2am and falling down the stairs as we rush to get outside. But these here, they are not earthquakes.

HackerF15E
12-08-13, 09:21
Well, mach 54 = 18,376m/s (at sea level, not calculating for altitude pressure this time of night)

FWIW, Mach only varies by temperature, not altitude or pressure.

cqbdriver
12-08-13, 09:22
It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.

wild_wild_wes
12-08-13, 09:28

One of my favorite movies of all time!

Colonel Breen (as General Veers) later went on to lead the Imperial ground assault on Echo Base on Hoth The Empire Strikes Back.

graffex
12-08-13, 10:46
Haha. I've never heard of it, I'll have to check it out.

jmp45
12-08-13, 11:28
Quatermass and the Pit / Five Million Years to Earth is a classic. It's been out of print, good luck finding a copy. I found one a few years ago on ebay.

SteyrAUG
12-08-13, 11:35
They are sonic booms, period.

Please... take off the tin foil hats, put them down, and step away from this thread slowly.

That's the most racist thing I've read all month. Wow.

SteyrAUG
12-08-13, 11:37
Quatermass and the Pit / Five Million Years to Earth is a classic. It's been out of print, good luck finding a copy. I found one a few years ago on ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Quatermass-The-Pit-James-Donald/dp/6305095477/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386524158&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=qaurtermass+and+the+pit

A word of caution, there was a BBC tv series of the same name which the movie was based upon. The one we are all talking about his the Hammer studios film release.

wild_wild_wes
12-08-13, 12:15

UFOs have been known to accelerate an unbelievable rate. Perhaps the sonic booms they make would therefore be of an unusually distinct from those our primitive air vehicles generate.

ForTehNguyen
12-08-13, 14:04
peoples head exploding after finding out their new health insurance rates

Dead Man
12-08-13, 14:06
peoples head exploding after finding out their new health insurance rates

Hmm.. I believe this may vie the mach 54 theory for plausibility.

HackerF15E
12-08-13, 14:17
UFOs have been known to accelerate an unbelievable rate.

Which UFOs are "known" to even actually exist, much less have specific, observable, verifiable performance characteristics?

jpmuscle
12-08-13, 17:05
Well if they are known to exist they wouldn't be UFOs would they lol

Sent from my DROID X2

duece71
12-08-13, 20:51
Every time I have a "natural" gas explosion my wife mutters "there is one of those unexplainable booms again".

Zane1844
12-08-13, 21:03
It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.

That literally made me laugh at loud. My new sigline, thanks!

I have no idea what those booms could be OP, is it random?

graffex
12-08-13, 21:18
Yep completely random and out of the blue. Happened once before in the Ocean City area of Md a year or two ago.

Moose-Knuckle
12-09-13, 01:14
Nothing to see here, move along . . .

Be sure to take your blue pill with your allotment of Kool-Aid.

Brimstone
12-09-13, 01:40
Haha. I've never heard of it, I'll have to check it out.

Send me a pm if you want the movie.

RancidSumo
12-09-13, 01:46
Are they fracking near you?

I really hope this wasn't a serious question.

polymorpheous
12-09-13, 03:18
Had some mysterious booms in Wisconsin last year.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16036358&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Dead Man
12-09-13, 04:04
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44550343/#.UqWUb_RDsXs

munch520
12-09-13, 08:23
Chill guys. It's just Oprah's footsteps.

Doc Safari
12-09-13, 09:21
Nothing to see here, move along . . .

Be sure to take your blue pill with your allotment of Kool-Aid.

I don't need Viagara.

Shorts
12-20-13, 10:09
Since this thread started I began documenting time & date. I find interesting the time they take place. It is in the last 5seconds of the 29th or 59th minute of an hour.

12/10 11:29-:30am
12/16 11:29-:30am
12/20 10:59-:00am

THCDDM4
12-20-13, 11:24
Since this thread started I began documenting time & date. I find interesting the time they take place. It is in the last 5seconds of the 29th or 59th minute of an hour.

12/10 11:29-:30
12/16 11:29-:30
12/20 10:59-:00

Seeing as these booms are happening at seemingly specific times, are they consistent enough for you to set up a mic and record the boom to post a sound bite here?

Not sure if it would clear enough without sophistacated recording equipment- but I'm curious to hear these booms and others might be as well...

Caduceus
12-20-13, 12:11
That's the most racist thing I've read all month. Wow.

... what race is that, exactly?

Shorts
12-20-13, 12:21
Seeing as these booms are happening at seemingly specific times, are they consistent enough for you to set up a mic and record the boom to post a sound bite here?

Not sure if it would clear enough without sophistacated recording equipment- but I'm curious to hear these booms and others might be as well...

I'm not sure it'll come through but I'll try to catch it. Maybe one cam inside and one outside. I don't have but our camera phones and a couple digital cameras, they might not be sensitive enough.

THCDDM4
12-20-13, 12:57
Thanks. Interested to hear these booms. Hopefully you can pick them up clearly.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year sir!

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-13, 13:59
If you have never head them before Google "sky quakes" and "sky trumpets". The last I heard is that the Canadian government has opened an official investigation into the matter due to all the concerns expressed by their citizens in certain parts of the country.

Dead Man
12-20-13, 14:18
A fellow climber mentioned hearing a concerning, deep, single boom in the sky from about 10,000' on Mount Hood on the 16th of October. Said it sounded like a huge artillery shell detonating off to the west. It's not that uncommon to hear booms in the mountains, especially piles of shit like Cascade volcanoes that shed serac and rock with a degree of frequency, but his description of the sound does not line up well with debris fall. Rock and ice fall are usually more of a prolonged crashy boom than a single, deep boom.

Shorts
12-20-13, 15:24
Thanks. Interested to hear these booms. Hopefully you can pick them up clearly.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year sir!

You bet. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

ETA:

A fellow climber mentioned hearing a concerning, deep, single boom in the sky from about 10,000' on Mount Hood on the 16th of October. Said it sounded like a huge artillery shell detonating off to the west. It's not that uncommon to hear booms in the mountains, especially piles of shit like Cascade volcanoes that shed serac and rock with a degree of frequency, but his description of the sound does not line up well with debris fall. Rock and ice fall are usually more of a prolonged crashy boom than a single, deep boom.

Bet that was hair raising to hear that where he was. I'd be wondering what would hit/land/give and where. I'm not a mountain climber so I can't speak intelligently on the sounds they hear while out there. The only mountain I've "climbed" is Mt Fuji and all I heard was the old mama-sans footsteps as they whipped my tail up to the top. Apparently you can't take me from the hotel at sea level to 12k+ feet in less than 6hrs without having to kick my carcass up the trail :jester:

What I can tell you, because of my location I don't think this would be related to mountain ranges or debris fall. Currently in S.FL, inland off the eastern coast, and a few miles away from the Everglades western line. The sounds I hear are very deep in tone, similar to rolling thunder. The noise does not start with an impact, but a rumbling, so I'm hesitant to describe it as cannon sounds. There is not a crack or specific boom. There seems to be two parts to it in total (like a half note in music), the entire thing lasts no longer than a second or two, three seconds would be pushing it. The dog alerts to it just as if someone banged on the front door.

I have never been outside and heard one. I only know it from inside the house. If I have heard it while outside I did not realize it. The reaction it elicits from me is "Earthquake".

SteyrAUG
12-20-13, 17:10
... what race is that, exactly?

Inside joke. For awhile there a few members were declaring everything to be racially motivated and or racist.

Crow Hunter
12-20-13, 19:18
There isn't an arsenal somewhere near you is there?

That sounds exactly like what used to happen at the Milan Army Ammo Plant when I was growing up.

They would get rid of the "duds"/quality issues about the same time every day. They were making 40 mm grenades.

It would usually be a series of booms that sounded like the beginnings of thunder. We were a good 35 miles or more away from this plant in rolling hill country. I would imagine in flat lands downwind of the plant could be heard even further away. We would almost feel it in the ground as much as hear it. They were actually doing controlled detonations in a bunker. It doesn't sound like normal explosions. More of a muted "WHUMP!" with a trailing thunder like boom.

Is there a High explosives manufacturing plant anywhere around at all? It doesn't have to be even remotely close for you to hear it.

RogerinTPA
12-20-13, 20:18
I'm willing to bet the sonic booms and fireballs are coming from comet debris entering the atmosphere since we have been traveling through the debris trails of two comets for the past few months and now entering Ison's. We pass through many debris fields from comets that have passed decades, even hundreds of years ago. It's the reason we have very predictable meteor showers throughout the year.

graffex
12-20-13, 20:26
There isn't an arsenal somewhere near you is there?

That sounds exactly like what used to happen at the Milan Army Ammo Plant when I was growing up.

They would get rid of the "duds"/quality issues about the same time every day. They were making 40 mm grenades.

It would usually be a series of booms that sounded like the beginnings of thunder. We were a good 35 miles or more away from this plant in rolling hill country. I would imagine in flat lands downwind of the plant could be heard even further away. We would almost feel it in the ground as much as hear it. They were actually doing controlled detonations in a bunker. It doesn't sound like normal explosions. More of a muted "WHUMP!" with a trailing thunder like boom.

Is there a High explosives manufacturing plant anywhere around at all? It doesn't have to be even remotely close for you to hear it.

Aberdeen proving grounds is about 25 miles north of me so where used to hearing the booms that come from there. The booms where talking about hearing are WAY louder and don't come from a direction it's like all around you in every direction and even in the earth. That's why a lot of people compare it to a earthquake which I've also experienced and it's not the same. It's really something I think you'd have to experience and then you would be like wtf. Especially since no one knows what the hell it is.

_Stormin_
12-20-13, 20:43
I'm willing to bet the sonic booms and fireballs are coming from comet debris entering the atmosphere since we have been traveling through the debris trails of two comets for the past few months and now entering Ison's. We pass through many debris fields from comets that have passed decades, even hundreds of years ago. It's the reason we have very predictable meteor showers throughout the year.

This would seem remarkably plausible. Also accounting for why they're not just coming forward and saying "comet debris." There so much tiny stuff out there we zip through as a planet, and we can't track all of it. It can be large pieces breaking the sound barrier or breaking up in the atmosphere, just making it closer to ground level before fragmenting into dust.

Sent using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Crow Hunter
12-20-13, 20:50
Aberdeen proving grounds is about 25 miles north of me so where used to hearing the booms that come from there. The booms where talking about hearing are WAY louder and don't come from a direction it's like all around you in every direction and even in the earth. That's why a lot of people compare it to a earthquake which I've also experienced and it's not the same. It's really something I think you'd have to experience and then you would be like wtf. Especially since no one knows what the hell it is.

You got me then. Especially if there is no pattern and no apparent source.

Unless Aberdeen is testing out a new weapon.

Maybe you are hearing them testing Jaegers.:dance3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_%28film%29

davidjinks
12-21-13, 08:24
Just a heads up…

Prior to any demo operations of the day, Aberdeen does a noise test using explosives. If the noise test fails the decibel limits, demolition operations are cancelled for the day. They do have some pretty big shots that take place at times. I can check with a friend of mine who is there and ask him about demo ops for that day. I doubt that's what it was though. You'd need a pretty stellar inversion and a huge shot to hit that 25 miles away. It's possible, but doubtful.

Shorts
12-21-13, 09:19

I'd be on board except for the timing of the events. It seems specific in the events I noted.

jpmuscle
12-21-13, 09:38
Aren't we supposedly testing kinetic weapons of the mach 25 variety nowadays too?

Sent from my DROID X2

Dead Man
12-21-13, 12:49
Aren't we supposedly testing kinetic weapons of the mach 25 variety nowadays too?

Sent from my DROID X2

In the very limited reading I've done on the topic, I've been under the impression we're still around mach 10...?