PDA

View Full Version : Survivor - 60 Minutes Interview with Decorated Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell

SkiDevil
12-08-13, 22:05
LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survivor-60-minutes/

I caught the end of the interview on the 60 Minutes program.

Mr. Luttrell is a true American Hero.

I thought some other members might want to check the story of the man who saved his life in Afghanistan as detailed in the book 'Lone Survivor'.

ForTehNguyen
12-08-13, 22:20
they are coming out with a Lone Survivor movie, January 10th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLFk4JK_RM

Onyx Z
12-08-13, 23:26
I watched the entire episode since I knew Mr. Luttrell would be on there.

About 4 years ago, an ex-girlfriend went to an event where he was the keynote speaker. When she told me about him afterwards, I had no clue who he was or what Operation Redwings was. After doing some research shortly thereafter, the events that transpired on that mountain really caught my attention. After realizing he lives fairly close to me and also went to the same university, I've really kept up with this whole story since.

I haven't read the book yet, but I do own it. I hope I can finish it before I see the movie, which I'm really looking forward to.

exkc135driver
12-08-13, 23:29
I thought some other members might want to check the story of the man who saved his life in Afghanistan as detailed in the Novel 'Lone Survivor'.

It isn't a novel.

SkiDevil
12-09-13, 01:11
Excuse the error, I realize that it is not a work of fiction. Fixed it.

jaxman7
12-09-13, 03:43
they are coming out with a Lone Survivor movie, January 10th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLFk4JK_RM

Flixster states its release is 27 Dec.

-Jax

sammage
12-09-13, 08:11
Flixster states its release is 27 Dec.

-Jax
Was looking forward to watching this over Christmas vacation, but that's the limited release date. Nationwide release date is January 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

jaxman7
12-09-13, 08:20
Was looking forward to watching this over Christmas vacation, but that's the limited release date. Nationwide release date is January 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

I stand corrected. Was looking forward to seeing it over the Friday after Christmas as well....dang it.

-Jax

Cylinder Head
12-09-13, 09:49
I've seen Marcus tell his story at a company event early this year. To say it was an incredible experience would be selling it short. The man is a real hero and unfortunately he has had an impossible time getting past what happened. Read the book immediately after the event and I'm looking forward to the movie.

brickboy240
12-09-13, 11:23
I got to attend a media sneak preview of Lone Survivor.

I think most here will be very pleased at how this turned out.

-brickboy240

exkc135driver
12-09-13, 12:37
I've seen Marcus tell his story at a company event early this year. To say it was an incredible experience would be selling it short. The man is a real hero ...

I wish I worked for the kind of company that invites folks like Marcus Luttrell to speak at company events, instead of the sleazebag outfits I've worked for. You are fortunate to work for such company.

Sensei
12-09-13, 12:59
I'm curious as to how certain unverifiable claims are going to be handled. The most dubious and damaging to the deceased is this notion that the SEALs debated and held a vote on executing a civilian prisoner. The family of the deceased OIC, Michael Murphy, have gone on record calling BS on this claim. Then, there is some dispute regarding the actual size of the OPFOR (likely 8-20). My suspicion is that these controversies are more to do with liberties taken by Patrick Robinson who was the ghost writer.

Abraham
12-09-13, 13:04
I noticed no slings on their rifles.

Anyone know why?

Renegade
12-09-13, 13:33
LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survivor-60-minutes/

I caught the end of the interview on the 60 Minutes program.

Go to 60 minutes web site and see the whole thing, it is worth it.

Renegade
12-09-13, 13:42
I'm curious as to how certain unverifiable claims are going to be handled. The most dubious and damaging to the deceased is this notion that the SEALs debated and held a vote on executing a civilian prisoner. The family of the deceased OIC, Michael Murphy, have gone on record calling BS on this claim. Then, there is some dispute regarding the actual size of the OPFOR (likely 8-20). My suspicion is that these controversies are more to do with liberties taken by Patrick Robinson who was the ghost writer.

In the 60 minutes interview it was said they voted and were divided. It isn't clear if Luttrell told them that or that got it from the book. He did say We/Murphy made the decision to cut them loose.

Also, Lutrell said he saw 30-40 just before shooting started.

Onyx Z
12-09-13, 13:48

Or it could be that it all happened so fast and he had so many injuries, he honestly didn't remember. God only knows.

There will always be claims against the validity of an event like that this. Not speaking to you, but I wish people would just take it for what it's worth and cut out all of the bashing against the story of someone like Luttrell who actually lived the event.

Alex V
12-09-13, 14:30
I hope the movie does the story justice...

Sensei
12-09-13, 14:41
In the 60 minutes interview it was said they voted and were divided. It isn't clear if Luttrell told them that or that got it from the book. He did say We/Murphy made the decision to cut them loose.

Also, Lutrell said he saw 30-40 just before shooting started.

Or it could be that it all happened so fast and he had so many injuries, he honestly didn't remember. God only knows.

There will always be claims against the validity of an event like that this. Not speaking to you, but I wish people would just take it for what it's worth and cut out all of the bashing against the story of someone like Luttrell who actually lived the event.

Nobody is saying that it never happened. We can all agree that Luttrell fought bravely during Operation Redwing. The questions that arise come from inconsistencies in his story after the fact that appear to enhance the drama to sell a book. The problem with these inconsistencies is that they sometimes come at the expense of dead Teammates who cannot speak for themselves. This has been specifically criticized by the family of LT Michael Murphy as dishonoring their son's memory.

Finally, Luttrell seems to be caught up in a pattern of, shall we say, exaggerations along with Chris Kyle. I'd say that Kyle's account of punching JV seems dubious (at best, downright vindictive at worst), as does Luttrell's claim that Kyle killed 2 would be robbers only to have it covered-up by the local police.

Renegade
12-09-13, 15:06
The questions that arise come from inconsistencies in his story after the fact that appear to enhance the drama to sell a book. The problem with these inconsistencies is that they sometimes come at the expense of dead Teammates who cannot speak for themselves. This has been specifically criticized by the family of LT Michael Murphy as dishonoring their son's memory.

The move trailer suggest each member offered their opinion (perhaps unsolicited) to the CO about what to do, and then Murphy gave the order to release them - "This is not a vote, we are going to cut them loose, and then we are going home."

Sensei
12-09-13, 16:34
If memory serves, this would be a minor deviation from the narrative put forth in the book. I seem to recall their being more of a debate as to the prisoner's fate - so much so that I immediately thought that the families of the other SEALs were probably pissed when I read it. I'll have to see if I can find my copy in the boxes from my recent move and refresh my memory.

In all fairness to Lattrell, these areas of controversy may all stem from liberties taken by the ghost writer. If that is the case, then Luttrell should come out and clarified fact from fiction for the memory of his Teammates. Simply allowing the movie to correct the record is not enough, IMHO.

Either way, I bet it will be a good flick and I'll probably enjoy it - once I get past Marky Mark.

HKGuns
12-09-13, 17:00
Anyone who hasn't read the book doesn't know what they are missing....,,it is an easy and very good read.

armakraut
12-09-13, 18:33
You mean Chris Kyle didn't shoot looters from the top of the superdome?

duece71
12-09-13, 20:28
If memory serves, this would be a minor deviation from the narrative put forth in the book. I seem to recall their being more of a debate as to the prisoner's fate - so much so that I immediately thought that the families of the other SEALs were probably pissed when I read it. I'll have to see if I can find my copy in the boxes from my recent move and refresh my memory.

In all fairness to Lattrell, these areas of controversy may all stem from liberties taken by the ghost writer. If that is the case, then Luttrell should come out and clarified fact from fiction for the memory of his Teammates. Simply allowing the movie to correct the record is not enough, IMHO.

Either way, I bet it will be a good flick and I'll probably enjoy it - once I get past Marky Mark.

+100 Marky Mark and the funky bunch.........no funky bunch at least.