PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Ideas on Handheld Light For Flapped Pistol Pouch

Jellybean
12-08-13, 22:55
So as the title says, looking for a light for a pistol pouch with a flap closure- most likely a BlueForceGear pistol pouch.
I would like something with a slim enough bezel to be carried either bezel up OR down (most likely down) in the 0-50$ range.
Use to be a backup handheld for a weaponlight, as well as general purpose use.
I was thinking something along the lines of a Fenix E35 (http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e35/).

I know most are going to recommend a SF G2/6P, but after doing a search and not finding much, I started looking through the gear pic thread, and most I see are in Taco pouches, bezel up- as stated I want the option to carry bezel down. Of the few I've seen bezel down- as we all know, Tacos can expand quite a bit- plain cordura pouches don't.

Thoughts? Threads already here I missed?

ra2bach
12-09-13, 14:12
it's all going to be pouch specific but I don't like carrying lights bezel up in a soft pouch because inadvertent contact can cause activation that can give you away or possibly flash your night vision. and I don't like the plain G2 bezel down in a soft pouch because of the pronounced ridge of the head hanging up when trying to remove it.

in my dedicated light pouch (the one piece of cheap Condor gear I own), I prefer a G2X because of the bevel/taper from the body to the head. for a handheld, I actually prefer the dual output lights as you can save battery life by reducing power for non-critical tasks. the G2x version of this is hard to beat but there are plenty of good alternatives.

some of the Fenix lights are good values and I've never had an issue with any of mine but right now, my favorite hand held light is the Streamlight ProTac HL. it's programmable for different modes with the high - 630 lumens/1.5 hrs runtime, low -33 lumens/18hrs runtime and strobe. they've been known for good reliability and come with a limited lifetime warranty. and they're on sale everywhere for about $70...

Jellybean
12-09-13, 23:30
it's all going to be pouch specific but I don't like carrying lights bezel up in a soft pouch because inadvertent contact can cause activation that can give you away or possibly flash your night vision. and I don't like the plain G2 bezel down in a soft pouch because of the pronounced ridge of the head hanging up when trying to remove it.

Exactly!
That's why I made a big deal about bezel down carry, as well as a lo-pro head.

In my dedicated light pouch (the one piece of cheap Condor gear I own), I prefer a G2X because of the bevel/taper from the body to the head. for a handheld, I actually prefer the dual output lights as you can save battery life by reducing power for non-critical tasks...

Same here.

Will have to look up that ProTac.

lunchbox
12-09-13, 23:52
Exactly!
That's why I made a big deal about bezel down carry, as well as a lo-pro head.

Same here.

Will have to look up that ProTac.Love the HL, power house for little $$, and bezel down is only way to go. I'm also looking at maybe getting Protac 2L or something with same/similar bezel/body diameter size for pocket EDC carry. Also thinking about filing down Protac HL aggressive strike tabs around on/off button, to allow more G2 feel. Love that easy purchase hand gets on G2 button, wish HL's rubber button stuck out just a we bit further. Just me and my taste.

ra2bach
12-10-13, 14:44
I really like the Protac HL but I don't carry it in a pouch. It's not that I don't trust it, I have one on my desk for various dog barking routines and I have one clipped to the holster that rides in the console of my car. for pouch carry, that is, as a supplemental light to your weapon light, I stick with the Surefire G2x. I've never had failures with either but reputation is on the side of the Surefire.

about the Condor light pouch, it's cheaply made but I don't ask it to do much. but it does have a hole in the bottom covered by a piece of blue fabric which, in my mind, is ingenious in that it lets you active the light in the pouch giving a very dim blue light out the bottom for momentary admin tasks in the dark (like checking to see if your rounds are on the left or the right) without the hassle or signature of a regular light. I never understood the value of blue light. red is said to preserve night vision but I think it was Jason who said in a Redback One class that blue light is the hardest to pick up and observe from a distance. I have no way to confirm that but sounds good to me...

about those "strike" tabs around the button on the HL, they protect the switch from accidental activation and I wouldn't file them down. they're not obtrusive and they even allow the light to be stood on its end on a level surface (albeit a little wobbly) for hands off room lighting. shining this light at a light colored ceiling lights up a whole room bright enough to read by...

and btw, none of these are my EDC lights. I use a single AA Fenix light (that I don't believe is made anymore) with rechargeable batteries. two modes - high/110 lumens, low/16 lumens with just a twist of the bezel. it keeps me from using up my 123 batts for all the stupid stuff I need to use a light for everyday...

Jellybean
12-10-13, 18:51
I never thought much of the SL handhelds... Guess I'll be looking into that Protac.
Plus, I'm now a big-lumen whore- I got a SF X300U for a handgun and it. is. AWESOME!
Still not a big fan of the CR123 batteries, but what can you do these days....

The thing is, with the thicker 1.5" bezel with texture rings, and near 5 and a half inches long, is it going to affect draw and fit in a pistol pouch....

R2B- would that Fenix you have happen to be something like the LD15? (http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld15-led-flashlight/).
Interesting comment abou the EDC- I currently have an E1B, which is a super sexy light, but I've been thinking about something cheaper, and more disposable, if you will- if I lose the SF in walmart or something I'm going to kick myself forever.

*Edit*- seems the Protac won't fit- measured 3 different brand/type pistol mag pouches I have (minus the BFG which I don't, yet) and a bezel that thick looks like a no-go for bezel-down carry.
Probably looking at a Fenix PD 32 or /35 as most pouches seem optimized for G17 mag length- about 5 inches- and a lot of lights I like the look of (like the E35 above) are goingto be a little short to fit*any* flapped pistol pouch.

ra2bach
12-11-13, 10:15
I never thought much of the SL handhelds... Guess I'll be looking into that Protac.
Plus, I'm now a big-lumen whore- I got a SF X300U for a handgun and it. is. AWESOME!
Still not a big fan of the CR123 batteries, but what can you do these days....

The thing is, with the thicker 1.5" bezel with texture rings, and near 5 and a half inches long, is it going to affect draw and fit in a pistol pouch....

R2B- would that Fenix you have happen to be something like the LD15? (http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld15-led-flashlight/).
Interesting comment abou the EDC- I currently have an E1B, which is a super sexy light, but I've been thinking about something cheaper, and more disposable, if you will- if I lose the SF in walmart or something I'm going to kick myself forever.

*Edit*- seems the Protac won't fit- measured 3 different brand/type pistol mag pouches I have (minus the BFG which I don't, yet) and a bezel that thick looks like a no-go for bezel-down carry.
Probably looking at a Fenix PD 32 or /35 as most pouches seem optimized for G17 mag length- about 5 inches- and a lot of lights I like the look of (like the E35 above) are goingto be a little short to fit*any* flapped pistol pouch.

the Fenix I have is an earlier version of the LD 12. small, AA, two modes, fits on my key ring...

I like Streamlight. much better than the Fenix PDs you mention. the one Fenix I have is the EDC mentioned above and if it shits the bed, I'm at worst a little inconvenienced, I do have a flashlight on my cell phone...

I had to decide what my purpose for a secondary light carried on my gear was. my weapon lights are all single-program, momentary lights but a handheld light will be needed for other tasks as well. it makes sense that it is variable power as long as it's reliable. I don't think you'll fit the HL or any reliable HL light, bezel down, in a pistol pouch. IMO, I would size the pouch around the light rather than the other way around.