PDA

View Full Version : grippiest vertical pistol grip

eljimbo142
12-08-13, 23:03
i'm lookin for some help pickin a reduced angle pistol grip. i have tried the magpul moe-k. i like the angle but it is way too slick, especially in freezing weather when my hand just doesn't seem to grip as well. i like my ergo suregrip. the texture is awesome but the angle is not. i wish ergo would make a reduced angle grip. but until they do i need help pickin one thats currently available. one that is the most "grippy", most like the ergo texture. please give reviews and comparisons of grips you have tried. thanks in advance.
BCM mod 0- is it grippier than the moe-k2? anything like the ergo suregrip texture?
moe k2- looks like it has a bit more texture than the moe-k
umbrella corp- is it "grippier" than moe-k,k2
troy battle ax cqb- what would you compare that texture to

VIP3R 237
12-08-13, 23:06
I am a fan of the bcm mod 3 and the K2. Have you tried stippling yours? That is the best way to get an aggresive texture.

eljimbo142
12-08-13, 23:21
no i haven't tried yet. i'm thinkin i might have to give it a try. i need extra texture on the back of the grip. between thumb and finger. guess i'll go to harbor shite and see if they have a stipplin tool.

Vandal
12-08-13, 23:30
I have a BCM Gunfighter grip and the sides have, in my opinion, more "grip" than the Magpul. You'd still want to stipple the backstrap if your looking for more grip surface there.

A quicker fix would be to wrap the grip in skateboard tape. Inexpensive and works very well.

eljimbo142
12-09-13, 10:27
does anyone have a review of the umbrella corp grip or the troy battle ax cqb. i'm interested in texture. are either one of those grips anything like the ergo suregrip texture? are they "grippier" than the moe-k2 or the bcm mod 0? thanks

^Rb
12-09-13, 10:42
does anyone have a review of the umbrella corp grip or the troy battle ax cqb. i'm interested in texture. are either one of those grips anything like the ergo suregrip texture? are they "grippier" than the moe-k2 or the bcm mod 0? thanks

No, they are not even close.

The Umbrella grip is very smooth and the Troy grip is the smallest out there w/ a very neutral texture.

NeoNeanderthal
12-09-13, 10:46
I run an Umbrella corp grip and it is quite slick. No texture at all. People stipple, grip tape, or (as i have done) put bicycle inner tube over it to get some grip

Koshinn
12-09-13, 10:52
The Magpul K2 is grippier than the BCM Mod1 I have.

eljimbo142
12-09-13, 11:11
thank you gentlemen. looks like i'm gonna give stipplin a try.

12-09-13, 12:18
I like to wrap my grips with with tennis racket tape (http://www.amazon.com/Head-Super-Comp-Overgrip-Black/dp/B000ULRRCI/ref=sr_1_4?s=racquet-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1386612870&sr=1-4), it makes the grip very comfy and holds well when you're sweating like crazy.

Kyohte
12-09-13, 12:20
Stippling is the way to go. I did this to my BCM and it makes a big difference.

diving dave
12-09-13, 12:45
I've been stippling the heck out of things lately, it's kinda fun. What works better than a soldering iron IMO is a wood burner.. Picked one up at a hobby store with a fine tip for $16.

Grip
12-09-13, 13:57
Buy a bcm mod 3 for $18, stipple it, profit.

Quiet Riot
12-09-13, 15:30
Stippling is great, though to answer the original question, Magpul developed a new texture that they used on the MOE K2, and it is fantastic. Though I like the feel of the BCM Mod 3 in my hand better, shapewise, Magpul hit it out of the park by making their texture aggressive without being abrasive. The K2 is also angled in both the frontstrap and backstrap in a way that really helps the ribs dig into your palm (in a good way).

With stippling and some patience, you can get whatever you want for texture, but out of the box, the new MOE K2 is really good. I compare it to the BCM Mod 3 and an original MOE in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BG8IWTiSlI

Archer1440
12-09-13, 23:21
I have seen (photos, not handled) a Viking Tactics grip that has abrasive granules epoxied to the entire surface. Looks like it could double as a Surform rasp, but if you want absolute grip I would think it beats skateboard tape all day long. It is referred to as the "VTAC-erized" grip.

But honestly it looks like after a three day training course you might need a packet of QuikClot to go with that sucker...

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/cqvzg.aahyd/v/vspfiles/photos/VTAC-ERIZED-2.jpg

lunchbox
12-10-13, 00:21
I'm tryin the Magpul MOE plus pistol grip (MOE grip, but with rubber) and its ok, wish it had angle newer grips are utilizing. I usually use cut up rubber tire inner-tubing (ranger bands) on slick plastic grips. They need to put out rubber K2 version, and I might be happy;).

Koshinn
12-10-13, 00:40
I'm tryin the Magpul MOE plus pistol grip (MOE grip, but with rubber) and its ok, wish it had angle newer grips are utilizing. I usually use cut up rubber tire inner-tubing (ranger bands) on slick plastic grips. They need to put out rubber K2 version, and I might be happy;).

I think the K2 texture is better than the rubber over-molded MOE+, personally.

lunchbox
12-10-13, 01:02
I think the K2 texture is better than the rubber over-molded MOE+, personally.Gives me even more of a reason to get one:D. My biggest complaint about MOE+ was angle, if the K2 has improved angle and good grip, I'm in. And Stippling is not a option for me, have not enough time, and esp. not the patience.

Artiz
12-10-13, 18:33
Pretty much no standard grip comes from the factory grippy enough for hard use so stippling is the way to go, at least for me.

endorphin rush
12-10-13, 19:43
Wrap your grip of choice with Coban.

Koshinn
12-10-13, 22:30
I wish S&W would release an AR pistol grip based off of their M&P CORE texture.

Pretty much no standard grip comes from the factory grippy enough for hard use so stippling is the way to go, at least for me.
What's your definition of "hard use"? People have been shooting smelly men in dresses with the standard A2 pistol grip for over a decade in two countries. Seems pretty "hard use" to me. The K2 is better than the A2 grip in every single measurable category except cost. Stippling is good, but you won't instantly drop dead in a "hard use" situation if you don't stipple every inch of polymer on everything you own.

masakari
12-12-13, 09:12

I have used every grip that you mentioned.
-The Troy BattleAx Enhanced CQB has an extremely aggressive texture, and very well may be what you're looking for.
-The Umbrella grip is very slick, and would not do what you want it to unless you stipple it.
-BCM is rather slick, though the front strap has some good texture.
-The MOE K2 has a good overall texture, and would be a great choice, but since grippiness is your prime concern, I still say go Troy.

Colt556
12-18-13, 16:08
I am a fan of the bcm mod 3 and the K2. Have you tried stippling yours? That is the best way to get an aggresive texture.

Agreed and good idea. Stippling works wonders.