PDA

View Full Version : Best barrel for kiss build with A2 upper

blackhawktech
12-09-13, 08:59
I have a Bushmaster A2 upper and a Anderson arms lower. I want to build a kiss AR that will be reliable and accurate. What is the best barrel quality barrel that want break the bank. All my other AR's are flat tops with free float rails. I used a Daniel defense lt wt barrel on my wife's gun but it is pricey.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
12-09-13, 15:46
Well you are going to need a barrel that has rifle feedramps and not M4 profile ones.

blackhawktech
12-09-13, 16:06
Any ideas on a good barrel?

Toyoland66
12-09-13, 22:11
You also need a non f height fsb. I don't know what your options are in a less than 20" barrel.

blackhawktech
12-09-13, 22:18
Well maybe I need to back up and punt. Just buy a A2 upper with M4 feed ramps.

az doug
12-09-13, 22:42
Green Mountain barrels are reported to be good and won't break the bank.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/militarysurplusriflesbarrels/ar-15--m16--m4--assault-rifle-barrels/20--556mm-m16-a2--ar-barrel,-17-twist

Although it is not optimum, you can use a barrel with M4 feed ramps on an upper with "Rifle feed ramps...M-3..." whatever you want to call them. The nose of the projectile will "step down" into the M-4 ramps on the barrel. However, you cannot use an upper with M4 feed ramps on a barrel with Rifle... feed ramps because the nose of the projectile would then have to "step up."

Iraqgunz
12-09-13, 23:03
Just an FYI. Those barrels are not HP/MPI. That is a simple finished barrel only. You have to find someone to do the testing for you.

Green Mountain barrels are reported to be good and won't break the bank.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/militarysurplusriflesbarrels/ar-15--m16--m4--assault-rifle-barrels/20--556mm-m16-a2--ar-barrel,-17-twist

Although it is not optimum, you can use a barrel with M4 feed ramps on an upper with "Rifle feed ramps...M-3..." whatever you want to call them. The nose of the projectile will "step down" into the M-4 ramps on the barrel. However, you cannot use an upper with M4 feed ramps on a barrel with Rifle... feed ramps because the nose of the projectile would then have to "step up."

Iraqgunz
12-09-13, 23:21
I don't think anyone makes an A2 styled upper with M4 feed cuts. So your best option is to get a flat top upper with a carry handle.

Well maybe I need to back up and punt. Just buy a A2 upper with M4 feed ramps.

sapper36
12-10-13, 13:37
Not that I want to disagree with Will, but op if you look you can find the A2 upper with M4 feed ramps. I have two Colt A2 uppers with these. I don't know if they still make them today but it can be found. My 20" has a BCM barrel I it and I found a 16" Colt barrel for the other one.

Iraqgunz
12-10-13, 15:52
That's weird. I can't ever recall seeing an A2 upper (fixed carry handle with A2 sights) that had M4 styled feed cuts in them. I suppose someone could have made them or they were pulled apart from something else like maybe an M16A2 carbine or 727. But, I don't recall if they had them or not.

Not that I want to disagree with Will, but op if you look you can find the A2 upper with M4 feed ramps. I have two Colt A2 uppers with these. I don't know if they still make them today but it can be found. My 20" has a BCM barrel I it and I found a 16" Colt barrel for the other one.

blackhawktech
12-10-13, 15:57
Pk firearms sells them I believe.

M4C
12-11-13, 09:25
I have a Bushmaster A2 upper and a Anderson arms lower. I want to build a kiss AR that will be reliable and accurate. What is the best barrel quality barrel that want break the bank. All my other AR's are flat tops with free float rails. I used a Daniel defense lt wt barrel on my wife's gun but it is pricey.

Rock on with your A2 upper and barrel of your choice. Since this is a KISS build and you're trying not to break the bank, and it sounds like you are trying to use parts on hand, just use your A2 upper and quality barrel of your choice. I built several for my agency using A2 uppers they had laying around unused (HBARs) with new M4 barrel assemblies. The M4 feedramps don't cause hangups since it goes from high to low instead of low to high, and the F-hight FSBs only required a few extra turns of the FSPs to achieve zero with the fixed carry handle rear sights.
I'd look at the barrels from Sionics; you can get one with FSB, delta assembly, etc. for not a lot of money, and they appear to have good specs, although I haven't used one yet.

blackhawktech
12-11-13, 09:28
Ok thanks. I well check them out. Just wanted to build a beat around gun.

M4C
12-11-13, 16:01
It's the same thing I plan to do with an A2 upper and some other stray parts I have laying around.