PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on this 9310 BCG Wilson combat has on sale?

~kev~
12-10-13, 08:14
There is a post in the where can I get it thread about this BCG being on sale. Rather than ask there I am asking here, what is the general opinion on this BCG,

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Bolt-Carrier-Assembly-556-NATO/productinfo/TR-BCA/

The bolt assembly is machined from Carpenter No. 9310 steel, shot peened for increased strength and a includes tool steel machined extractor and ejector, appropriate extractor spring, and is HPT (High Pressure Tested) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected).

I did a couple of google searches on 9310 vs 158, and from what I found there seems to be mixed opinions, both but types of steel are good?

A couple of forum threads I found out there says 158 has to be bought in bulk? While 9310 can be bought in smaller quantities, but is more expensive?

My main question is, at a sale price of $98.57 is that BCG GTG?

cma g21
12-10-13, 13:38
9310 may (or may not) be as good/better than Carpenter 158, opinions vary. But until it has a longer track record, I'll stick to Carpenter 158. But that's just me, YMMV.

Edited to add:

After more research, I am not comfortable recommending the BCG from AIM.

I have only seen one, and it appeared good (which means very little - especially as it has not, to my knowledge been run hard), the key was properly staked, and had no signs of being a MIM part. OTOH, I have read others report having some of the AIM BCGs having MIM keys.

I'd also like to thank discreet for spurring me to do the research I should have done before posting.

philpac33
12-10-13, 14:32
I wouldn't hesitate to run this BCG.

BufordTJustice
12-12-13, 21:53
It's not just the base metal of the bolt, but how it is made that can make or break it.

From proper heat treatment/case hardening to shot peening to phosphating. It all plays a part.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Archer1440
12-12-13, 23:55
Is that a full auto, or AR enhanced carrier? Can't tell from the photo.

Olaf
12-13-13, 18:15
I bought one thinking it had a Carpenter 158 bolt according to the product description. The bolt I received is marked MPI 9310. The have subsequently changed the description to Carpenter No. 9310 steel. They claim the extractor is tool steel machined, however it and the gas key appear to be MIM. There is a circle with a 5 on the gas key and a circle with a 2 on the underside of the extractor. The carrier is full auto and the gas key is properly staked.

plouffedaddy
12-13-13, 21:36
9310 may (or may not) be as good/better than Carpenter 158, opinions vary. But until it has a longer track record, I'll stick to Carpenter 158. But that's just me, YMMV.

OTOH, if I were going to go with 9310, I'd probably get the one from AIM. Appears to be made to similar specs, but only $79.95 - and free shipping.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGBDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=714

AIM also has a lifetime guarantee.

discreet
12-13-13, 21:59
Almost had to check what forum I'm on. AIM branded parts? Here? On top of that comparing them to Wilson Combat? Wilson may not be the best name in AR's (althought much diff from their 1911's) they at least don't skimp on qc and just push out anything. From reading other reviewers who bought complete AIM BCG's and their mention of lack of proper staking, it just seems like more Surplus Ammo and Arms generic BCG gun floating around. IMO if I got the Wilson I'd just offload the bolt right away and throw a BCM bolt in the carrier.

IMO lifetime warrenty is worthless when you need things to work the most. Just like Vortex sparc dots. Sure they will replace them for free as long as the company is in biz, but that doesn't fix a failing part to begin with. Best not to skimp on the BCG as that is literally the heart of the ar.

Btw cheers to Wilson for MPI/HPT their bolts and then putting those on 100$ clearance. :)

LoveAR
12-13-13, 22:38
For what purpose? If its for SHTF I would get a BCM or Colt and stop wondering. If not…give it a try.

CodeRed30
12-14-13, 12:28
I picked one up for an SPR build. Every other WC part I've experienced has been top-notch and I have no reservations about running this BCG.

cma g21
12-14-13, 16:11
Almost had to check what forum I'm on. AIM branded parts? Here? On top of that comparing them to Wilson Combat? Wilson may not be the best name in AR's (althought much diff from their 1911's) they at least don't skimp on qc and just push out anything. From reading other reviewers who bought complete AIM BCG's and their mention of lack of proper staking, it just seems like more Surplus Ammo and Arms generic BCG gun floating around. IMO if I got the Wilson I'd just offload the bolt right away and throw a BCM bolt in the carrier.

IMO lifetime warrenty is worthless when you need things to work the most. Just like Vortex sparc dots. Sure they will replace them for free as long as the company is in biz, but that doesn't fix a failing part to begin with. Best not to skimp on the BCG as that is literally the heart of the ar.

Btw cheers to Wilson for MPI/HPT their bolts and then putting those on 100$ clearance. :)

Until your post, I'd never heard anything bad about AIM. But then, I had not been specifically looking for it,

After doing quite a bit of reading, I've decided to delete my recommendation.

It's not that I have any firm info that the AIM BCG is no good, but that I now have more than enough doubts to regret making it.

Thanks for the information.

Eric
12-15-13, 01:13
For those that have purchased them, do they have field staking as depicted in the photo on their web page, or side staking?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/P10006971.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AR15forme/media/P10006971.jpg.html)

cma g21
12-15-13, 08:08
Deleted - posted in wrong thread.

Olaf
12-15-13, 11:47
Mine has side staking.

arptsprt
12-15-13, 11:49
I bought one. I feel a little mislead because when I purchased it during the Black Friday sale, the product description stated nothing about being No. 9310 just, "manufactured by the finest mil-spec contractor..." so I ASSumed it was "mil-spec." Intentional on behalf of WC I'm sure. THAT SAID, I know which manufacturers are unquestioned for top shelf parts and I still bought it. It's going to be used for a spare upper or just a spare BCG anyway so, for the price, it's worth a try.

The BCG I received from WC has side staking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)