PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA-E Vs. S3G

darr3239
12-10-13, 11:32
I've done the searches and most are old posts, and don't provide much info. I'm looking for.

I was intrigued when I found out John Noveske was using an SD3 trigger (flat trigger) on his 300 BLK SBR. Apparently it's an application that isn't the norm, but he stated he liked it so that's good enough for me. Personally, I believe I would prefer the S3G with the curved trigger, since that is what I have on my other ARs. I won't be doing competition with the gun and just want a good Geissele for use with overall shooting, short and long, and some hunting.

My questions are:

For those who have experience with both, does the short take-up and reset, and surprise break on the S3G present too much of a problem for routine use? I know Geissele doesn't recommend them for pretty much anything other than competition.

I have an SSA-E on one gun and it's a fantastic trigger. I'm wondering what I would gain with the S3G that would make one choose it over the SSA-E?

I realize this isn't very subjective, due to my non-specific application, but I'm looking for one of my guns to be a do it all, while being a blast when shooting.

jmnielsen
12-10-13, 12:18
I would say if you're wanting a one "do-it-all" trigger to go for the ssa-e. When I'm hunting or shooting in 3 gun I never even notice it's a two stage trigger. I'm not an expert though.

Watrdawg
12-10-13, 12:37
I have both the SSA and the SDC triggers. The SDC is on my SBR and I love it. The SDC is basically a SSA series trigger with a flat trigger face. This is purely subjective but I like the feel of the flat face more so than the curved face. I have 2 other AR's with stock triggers and plan on replacing them with the SDC trigger. Digging up $460 buck for 2 triggers isn't the most important thing this time of year.

thei3ug
12-10-13, 13:05
I have an SSA-E and an SD3G.
1) The 3G triggers are very good at a specific use. That is placing a lot of lead on target in a short amount of time. Not long range, and not hunting. In my experience I'd take Geissele's advice.
2) The SSA-E and the 3G triggers are not one step above the other in a product line. They are different products meant for different purposes. Based on the description of your expected use, I think you'd lose some functionality from the 3G rather than gain. The SSAs are excellent all purpose triggers.

guitarist1993
12-10-13, 16:15
The S3G is fast. I'm not an amazing 3 gun competitor by anyone's definition, but when I've got my shit together, I'm usually able to get split times in the .10-.15 range. It's a little harder to get long range accuracy out of, but after a little while shooting with it I learned when to expect the break and got saw my 100 yard groups tighten up.

MikeCLeonard
12-10-13, 16:52
I own two SD3G triggers, and have used the SSA-E.

If I had to do it all over again and pick a do-it-all trigger between the two, I would not chose the S3G personally. I think it gives up more to the SSA-E or SDE in longer-range precision capability than it gains in close-up speed work. Like others have said, you can still shoot the two-stage enhanced triggers really fast by just pulling through the stages, and you will also benefit from the clean, predictable break at longer ranges.

This isn't to say that I don't really like the SD3G, because I think it's a great trigger...it's just that it has posed a bit a challenge for me at longer ranges when I'm trying to run the rifle slow for accuracy.

As for the curved or flat trigger bow...I don't know. All I can say is I like both just fine...don't really have a preference after having used both.

DM-SC
12-11-13, 13:40
I use both SSA-E and S3G triggers. Though I'll NEVER pretend to know more than Mr. Geissele (not even close!)...I will say the best choice for a given application will depend on the shooter. A majority of shooters will find that following the Geissele recommended usage of each trigger will get them the best results.

Personally, I've had good results using the S3G triggers in the 'Not recommended for' applications.

The one thing I would NOT recommend is using the 3-gun triggers for duty, HD/PD applications.

DM-SC
12-11-13, 13:44
As for the curved or flat trigger bow...I don't know. All I can say is I like both just fine...don't really have a preference after having used both.

After moving my 1911's to 10-8 flat triggers...I'm giving serious consideration to moving to the 'D' versions on my AR's. That's some serious coin to shell out! :eek:

Of course, one good thing about a quality product...I can sell my non-'D' triggers and offset at least a majority of the cost. :cool:

Breacher 217
12-11-13, 14:24
Just a heads up. SKD has $175 S3G triggers right now.

http://www.skdtac.com/Geissele-Super-3-Gun-S3G-Trigger-p/gei.150.htm

CHIMO
12-11-13, 20:27
Just a heads up. SKD has $175 S3G triggers right now.

http://www.skdtac.com/Geissele-Super-3-Gun-S3G-Trigger-p/gei.150.htm

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered one!

DOA
12-11-13, 21:54
Now shows OOS

Breacher 217
12-11-13, 21:56
I scored one at 1:30.

wilson1911
12-11-13, 22:36
It is true they are very different. If you ever plan on putting a scope on the gun, I would choose the SD-E. The SD3G is more of something that you would use in a fast shooting scenario. Once you can control your weapon to a good degree they are great. If you are not used to shooting fast, the gun tends to wobble more and your shots do not break where you want them. Getting on the trigger fast and being able to work the reset is a very important part of hitting multiple targets. I run both triggers, but each has its own purpose and shooting style.

These triggers are the cleanest and crispest I have ever shot out of an AR. Secondly, the flat surface feels great and is a must IMHO. A 1911's users dream trigger in a rifle. The 3gun is like a hot knife thru butter(doing this very fast), while the enhanced is more like breaking a half frozen carrot in two. When I am hunting, I rarely notice what the trigger is doing and recoil seems nonexistent until after the fun is over.

I still tend to condition my finger on the SD-E working the reset slow and purposely before picking up the fun gun. It's much harder to hold the trigger against the sweet spot and break your shots well. There is no wall to hold against really. Train your finger and you will shoot very well no matter which one you decide on.

Run and Gun = SD3G
needing practice on trigger reset or precision shooting = SD-E

darr3239
12-12-13, 01:20
Great comments guys, and thanks.

Wolfpack45
12-12-13, 13:13
The S3G to me is perfect for all around use. I use it for long range and run and gun. Originally used it solely on run and gun builds but have grown so used to it that precision shooting with it is easy. If you like having a wall to break against though the S3G is not the one for you.

darr3239
12-12-13, 15:37
Cool, that's what I ordered. If I don't like it for what I use the gun for, I'll do something else with it.

Falar
07-02-16, 12:51
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a tough time deciding between these two triggers.

I've always liked Geissele triggers. I've basically been "out of the game" for 4 years and now there are more choices than there used to be. I liked the Hi-Speed w/DMR springs for long range stuff but always fell back to stock triggers for durability reasons on carbines. Now Geissele has offerings that are just as robust it seems as high quality OEM components so I'm very interested in either the SSA-E or S3G.

The S3G has my interest as I don't see a 16" AR15 as something to use much beyond 100m though many people are saying it "sucks for long range" the stock trigger is a gritty 1 stage with a long pull so I'm sure it will still be an improvement for 50-100m shots.

The other main criticism seems that it would be "unsafe" for anything other than gaming and nearly "bumpfires by accident". I like the idea of quick doubles and rapid fire as that is what a carbine is all about. I'm sure even the SSA-E would be better than the stock trigger in terms of reset and rapid fire ability but don't know for sure and would hate to buy one and regret it only to change to the other.

My intended use is aimpoint/iron sights only out to about 100, plinking, maybe shooting the occasional wild pig, SD (hopefully not, but better be prepared) and the only ammo I use is M855/M193.

K1tt3n5
07-02-16, 15:35
I run ssa on everything but my spr type rifle and it has an ssae on it. 100% happy.

kirkland
07-03-16, 04:15
Go with the SSA-E I have two and it's just an excellent trigger. Big improvement over the stock trigger.

Vegasshooter
07-03-16, 10:04
I will echo the above. The SSA-E, or the SD-E are both incredible triggers. One is curved, one is flat. You'll get a very crisp 3.5 pounds. A good wall at the first stage, then very crisp break. I run a SD-E in 3 Gun.

The S3G is a totally different animal. It's more like a single stage. There is a roll to the break more than a wall. The trigger pull isn't so scary light, but the reset and second pull is. The reset and second shot break freaky fast. Good for comp, maybe too light/fast for an all around trigger. I have been fortunate enough to have felt almost every Geiselle trigger. The S3G is NOT an all around/everyday trigger for most folks.

teksid
07-03-16, 20:11
I would choose the SSA or SSA-E if for nothing more than the full power hammer spring.

Falar
07-04-16, 02:02
I would choose the SSA or SSA-E if for nothing more than the full power hammer spring.

I thought they all came with full power hammer springs?

This decision is tough. I want rapid fire ability but I don't want accidental doubles.

elephantrider
07-04-16, 06:12
I would avoid the S3G and SD-3G unless you are actually doing 3-gun, or short range bullet hosing like 3-gun. IMO, it is too much of a good thing in terms of light pull and short reset. It felt like it would be hard to use consistently, without doubling/bumping it, unless you put a lot of practice and focus into your trigger control.

The SSA is a great general use trigger, and a huge step up from a Mil-spec trigger. A clean, predictable trigger with smooth first stage take-up, and a distinct 2nd stage wall that will allow a precision shot, or that can be pulled through for fast shooting. A reasonably fast trigger that can get faster with practice. My go-to trigger for a general purpose gun.

The SSA-E is essentially the same as the SSA, except with a little lighter first and second stage pull weight. The reset distance also feels a bit shorter to me as well, or at least on the examples that I have tried. The quicker reset is what IMO makes it a faster trigger than the SSA. Pick this if you really think you need the extra speed, but you are giving up some pull weight which gives a margin of safety for making deliberate shots in a serious situation.

I don't care for the flat faced versions of the Geissele triggers. I find the original curved versions to give more consistent finger placement.

kirkland
07-04-16, 11:23
I thought they all came with full power hammer springs?

This decision is tough. I want rapid fire ability but I don't want accidental doubles.

You can certainly rapid fire with the SSA-E. Before I bought my first one I had a hard time deciding between it and the SSA, like you I did a lot of researching about Geissele triggers online and I saw a lot of posts saying it was too light and to go with the SSA instead. But I decided to give the SSA-E a shot and I'm happy I did, it has about a 2 pound take up in the first stage and the a clean 2 pound break 2nd stage like breaking an icicle. It's light, but not so light that I would call it a hair trigger, it has never gone off before I was ready. Very controllable.

Falar
07-05-16, 02:38
I guess I'll go SSA-E then. I just hope the reset is nice for close work.

It looks like it comes about how I had my Hi-Speed/DMR set up on my long range guns 5 years ago: 2lb 1st, 1lb 2nd stage.