PDA

View Full Version : How to handle new brass?

SWThomas
12-11-13, 09:18
I've been reloading lately with fire-formed Black Hills and Nosler 308WIN brass. I recently ordered some Lapua 308 brass and would like to know how to handle it when I get it. Should I just load it up with some bullets without resizing it and shoot them to fire-form them? Or should I measure a fire-formed case and duplicate its measurements on the Lapua brass during sizing? I just want to make sure I don't shorten the life of this expensive brass by accident.

Thanks!

Onyx Z
12-11-13, 13:14
Definitely resize any brass that you didn't run through a sizing die yourself. Remove as many variables as possible (neck tension, headspace, etc.). I believe the box for my Lapua brass specifically says to size before loading.

SWThomas
12-11-13, 13:21
Cool. Thanks!

QuietShootr
12-12-13, 07:30
You should FL size them once - but that said, I have taken them out of the box, loaded them, and won an F-class match with them, so it's not like it won't work.

Once you start with Lapua, you'll stop screwing around with everything else.

SWThomas
12-12-13, 08:46
You should FL size them once - but that said, I have taken them out of the box, loaded them, and won an F-class match with them, so it's not like it won't work.

Once you start with Lapua, you'll stop screwing around with everything else.

Thanks! I'm gathering that Lapua is the way to go. I'll be loading my 308 with it and also 30-06 and my match AR-15 when I get done building them.

Raven Armament
12-24-13, 14:18
One thing is to eyeball them to make sure they all have primer flash holes. I've gotten new brass that didn't get that hole drilled/punched. Would have been a safety issue if I didn't inspect before loading.

Also yes, full length size.