PDA

View Full Version : 3 day pack first aid kit

rjacobs
12-11-13, 19:15
I tried to search for this, but didnt really see anything that stuck out at me.

I am finally getting a 3 day pack together and definitely want some type of first aid kit.

I have no clue exactly what I need/want outside of band aids.

I would like to purchase a pre-packaged kit and stay under $100.

The ones from Adventure Medical kits seem like a decent product at a decent price.

Was checking out this one:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/world-travel.html

and this one:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/sportsman/bighorn-1.html

railpig314
12-11-13, 20:53
Hey,
You might want to check out North American Rescue....
What about an IFAK?

Abraxas
12-11-13, 21:00
I know it is not under the 100.$ mark, but it is a good kit. http://www.darkangelmedical.com/About.php

rjacobs
12-11-13, 21:01
nice looking kits, but a bit out of my price range and I think a bit more than what I am looking for.

I guess I am looking for a basic first aid kit plus if that makes sense.

I dont think I am worried about having a dedicated IFAK as long as the components(quick clot type product) are in the main kit. The second kit I posted has a quick clot type product in it.

Only thing neither kit has is a tourniquet, but I have heard(again, I am no expert) that you can potentially cause more harm than good if you dont know how to use one.

HardToHandle
12-11-13, 21:01
I tried to search for this, but didnt really see anything that stuck out at me.

I am finally getting a 3 day pack together and definitely want some type of first aid kit.

I have no clue exactly what I need/want outside of band aids.

I would like to purchase a pre-packaged kit and stay under $100.

The ones from Adventure Medical kits seem like a decent product at a decent price.

Was checking out this one:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/world-travel.html

and this one:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/sportsman/bighorn-1.html

Adventure Meds is a great place to start. Depending on your environment, MENS and training, maybe adding a TQ and combat gauze might be needed.

What is your training level? Software determines much of the hardware side of the occasion. That is a critical need.

rjacobs
12-11-13, 21:02
A good start. http://www.darkangelmedical.com/About.php

again good looking kit, but I think I am looking for more than a basic IFAK, which is all I see on their page unless I am missing something.

rjacobs
12-11-13, 21:07
What is your training level? Software determines much of the hardware side of the occasion. That is a critical need.

I have no training(save for a few lifeguard courses 15 years ago), but would like to receive some. I could probably do CPR and that would be the extent of my "advanced" life saving training.

I am not necessarily looking for this as a "what if I get shot" type of kit, but like I said, more of a first aid kit plus.

I mean I would probably be more prepared than 99% of people if I just went down to Walmart and grabbed a decent first aid kit.

FeltaDorce
12-12-13, 14:08
I build my own E kits. There is no other way to have absolute faith in the components, and to choose components that you prefer to use. My basic kit (appropriate for 3 days) is basically "blowout" related. My "must-haves" are:

Heavy duty scissors,
Israeli Tourniquet,
Celox (The 6" square size),
Large Gauze,
Self-sticking bandage wrap (about 3 m worth),
Medical tape (Wide, like 1" or more),
an epi-pen (I am not allergic, but I carry this for others, and situations where epinephrine is appropriate, ask your MD for a prescription for med kit)
and Hibiclens (look it up, it is used like Iodine, but is much better).

Safe travels.

HardToHandle
12-12-13, 20:38
I have no training(save for a few lifeguard courses 15 years ago), but would like to receive some. I could probably do CPR and that would be the extent of my "advanced" life saving training.

II mean I would probably be more prepared than 99% of people if I just went down to Walmart and grabbed a decent first aid kit.

Knowing you need a step-up aid kit but not exclusively trauma-focused blowout kit helps. You're on the right track with A-Med, I'm an inactive EMT and have supplementary A-Med suture and wound care kits for back country and OCONUS travel.

On a TQ, don't use one if you don't have any training, but I've seen a few episodes where extremity blood loss was critical to survival. Even if you aren't confident using it, someone there might have the knowledge to do so or to use it on you if needed. TQs were opposed without medical evidence for many years, but more recent research-based methods are showing they have a valuable place. Good TQs (SOFT/CAT) cost $30 and up, but a lower cost Cav Arms TQ is small and adds another capability to your kit. I hand out the most basic TK-4 TQs to buddies and family members for their aid kits.

Don't disparage the lifeguard training, that puts you above maybe 60-70% of the general population in skill level. I'd encourage your plans for some supplemental training. The basic Red Cross course is a good start but you could branch towards EMS courses offered by local comm. colleges, wilderness medicine courses or gunshot-oriented trauma courses. All cost a little, but provide some skills to back up good decision-making.

rjacobs
12-12-13, 21:18
Knowing you need a step-up aid kit but not exclusively trauma-focused blowout kit helps. You're on the right track with A-Med, I'm an inactive EMT and have supplementary A-Med suture and wound care kits for back country and OCONUS travel.

On a TQ, don't use one if you don't have any training, but I've seen a few episodes where extremity blood loss was critical to survival. Even if you aren't confident using it, someone there might have the knowledge to do so or to use it on you if needed. TQs were opposed without medical evidence for many years, but more recent research-based methods are showing they have a valuable place. Good TQs (SOFT/CAT) cost $30 and up, but a lower cost Cav Arms TQ is small and adds another capability to your kit. I hand out the most basic TK-4 TQs to buddies and family members for their aid kits.

Don't disparage the lifeguard training, that puts you above maybe 60-70% of the general population in skill level. I'd encourage your plans for some supplemental training. The basic Red Cross course is a good start but you could branch towards EMS courses offered by local comm. colleges, wilderness medicine courses or gunshot-oriented trauma courses. All cost a little, but provide some skills to back up good decision-making.

So if I was looking between the two kits I posted, which would you choose?

Then add a tourniquet and maybe a little more advanced GSW kit. Like I said, around $100 I am ok, much more than that I think is getting out of my price range as well as probably having more stuff than my abilities would enable me to even use.

HardToHandle
12-14-13, 03:28
Bighorn seems a little preferred. They are mighty similar.
Also plan to replace most components in three to five years.

Arch
12-26-13, 13:34
I am not an expert, but here's what I recommend:

Chemical Light Stick
2x CAT
QuikClot Sponge
QuikClot Granulated (yes it has to be cut from tissue, but if the alternative is bleeding out...)
NPA (nasopharyngeal airway tube) WITH LUBE. DID I MENTION LUBE?
Asherman Chest Seal
2x H&H Compressed Gauze
2x Israeli Bandage
2x Combat Dressing
Cravat
ACE Bandage
Duct Tape
SAM Splint
2x 1" Surgical Tape
6x Nitrile Gloves
6x Antiseptic Wipes
6x Betadine Wipes
6x Antibiotic Packet (Neomycin)
2x Eye Wash Ampules
Assorted Adhesive Bandages
Assorted Sterile Gauze (vacuum seal separately)
Tweezers
1wk Cipro
6x Loperamide (anti diarrhea)
6x Aspirin (for heart attack)
6x Diphenhydramine (antihistamine / anti allergy)
12x Ibuprofen (general use)
Moleskin, more moleskin, and then a little more moleskin

I'm probably forgetting something I have in my kit.

AGAIN - I'm NOT an expert or rendering medical advice.

chuckman
12-27-13, 04:34
The AMK kits are good to go, and are as cheap as trying to build one yourself. I use to design and build kits for people for anything from an under-the-kitchen-sink kit to a 10-person/6-week expedition kit, and I could not do it better or cheaper than AMK (disclaimer: I do not work for them and I do not get paid by them). Per the post above somewhere, many items do have expiration dates, so you will need to change them out in a few years. And get some training.

Of the ones you listed, the World Travel has a bit more, but it is for a longer duration. One has more trauma stuff and fewer meds, the other more meds and less trauma stuff. Me, I'd get the Bighorn and supplement with the meds.

blade_68
12-28-13, 04:11
I have been carrying Adventure Medical Kits and using them since the 90s. ( 2 ) I carried in the IFOR / SFOR stuff.. Before the Military started to issue better gear ( Israel Bandages ect..) good for boo boos / headaches ect. I keep one or two in my Jeeps, RV, backpacks. Better to pull out a bandaid for minor cut than a trauma bandage, and scare the sheep. plus it covers most basic stuff for first aid and the first aid book that is included has good info.
FYI
My .02 $ I'm not a medic or EMT, was a CBT Lifesaver (89-09) damn that's a lot of IVs given/ received :laugh: no wonder I hate needles.