PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to get back into ARs again?

logan09
12-12-13, 14:08
I've built and sold plenty of ARs.. Sold all of them before the prices skyrocketed. Started collecting shotguns, and older .22lrs. Enjoyed shooting them but lost interest. And know I see the prices coming back down to earth on ARs, lowers back down to $70, Uppers and BCGs seem to be fluctuating. First one on the left is the last one I sold for $650(I can only imagine if I held on to it):
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr95/logane09/IMG_0098-001.jpg (http://s473.photobucket.com/user/logane09/media/IMG_0098-001.jpg.html)

Is now the time to start again? Or are the prices still a little to high and I'm just gonna have to pay up if I want what I used to have again?

Wake27
12-12-13, 14:12
Depends on what you want. Factory rifles are readily available online. Parts to build your own seem to be there too, but I pay less attention to those.

~kev~
12-12-13, 14:13
Is now the time to start again? Or are the prices still a little to high and I'm just gonna have to pay up if I want what I used to have again?

Prices have been coming down for the past few months. Bolt carrier groups are still a little high, but everything else seem sot be "almost" back to normal.

Colt 6920s have been going on sale at various places for less than $1,000.

Various bolt carrier groups are now below $120. Some of the better brand name BCGs are still in the $180 - $190 price range.

I got an email today saying all of the stores Daniel Defense rifles where on sale for 25% off.

Parts are plentiful, readily available, and prices are continuing to come down.

HackerF15E
12-12-13, 14:13
Don't know if prices have hit "rock bottom" yet, but for most firearms and parts they are the same or lower than they were a year ago. The big flag should be that a few weeks ago the Colt 6920 was for sale at the lowest price I think it has ever been: $895.

It is a GREAT time to jump in.

wahoo95
12-12-13, 14:17
It all depends on what exactly you had before?

~kev~
12-12-13, 14:19
Don't know if prices have hit "rock bottom" yet, but for most firearms and parts they are the same or lower than they were a year ago. The big flag should be that a few weeks ago the Colt 6920 was for sale at the lowest price I think it has ever been: $895.

I think prices are still going to come down.

For example, before sandy hook the bravo company BCG was around $130 or $140. Now the price is around $184.

The Spikes tactical, Palmetto state armory premium and Rainier arms BCGs recently went on sale for around $109. This is down from a high from just a month ago of $180. I think its just a matter of a few more weeks before BCM BCG start to come down in price.

I am thinking that after christmas the market will see further price breaks. There is not much reason to bring prices down during the hottest shopping days of the year.

Airhasz
12-12-13, 14:20
http://www.kygunco.com/colt-m4-carbine-556-rifle-16-flat-dark-earth-63784

Wake27
12-12-13, 14:21

Taken from our Where Can I Get It Thread:

http://www.kygunco.com/colt-m4-carbine-556-rifle-16-flat-dark-earth-63784

Colt 6920 FDE. best price I've ever seen on it...

They also have Socom's for $999.

Doc Safari
12-12-13, 14:22
Just for example, I watched a case of PMC Bronze .223 go from $450+ per case down to $430 and now back up to $465 at one vendor. Some others are consistently sold out. I'd watch the ammo supply before jumping in.

logan09
12-12-13, 14:28
I might just pick up 2 lowers and take it from there. Wait to see what I can pick up, or if I can a cheaper complete rifle. I hate 16" barrels, so that might be an issue. Also, not to worried about ammo. I can still get steel case where I'm at for the same price it was when I sold everything 2 years ago.

VIP3R 237
12-12-13, 14:28
Taken from our Where Can I Get It Thread:

They also have Socom's for $999.

That's way below dealer cost. I wonder how they are doing it?

Wake27
12-12-13, 14:41
I might just pick up 2 lowers and take it from there. Wait to see what I can pick up, or if I can a cheaper complete rifle. I hate 16" barrels, so that might be an issue. Also, not to worried about ammo. I can still get steel case where I'm at for the same price it was when I sold everything 2 years ago.

You could always have the barrel cut down. BCM always has good prices too.

That's way below dealer cost. I wonder how they are doing it?

Saturated market?

VIP3R 237
12-12-13, 14:58
Saturated market?

Well even in a saturated market you don't sell for $300 less than cost...

Just thinking out loud.

Wake27
12-12-13, 15:01

Obviously business isn't my thing... Anyways, OP if you can get ammo for a price you're comfortable with, now might be the best time to get back into AR's.

CHIMO
12-12-13, 15:49
OP, if you can get steel case for that price I would stock some away before the next bout of stupidity hits and the prices soar again.

superstratjunky
12-12-13, 16:20
In what way do you mean? Without getting political, until things change there, prices are going to fluctuate with supply & demand with that climate. Also demand is still high because of it. The AR being as modular as it is having a few new loadings for it, & {depending on where you live} stamps are all the rage. You have the training aspect, the reloading, & critter hunting. That's so long as finances are there. If they are, try out a SCAR, ACR, & hell buy an AK.

txn
12-12-13, 16:57
You could always wait until the prices go nuts again. If you have the means, and the items are available then that is the time to get into it.

rdmega
12-12-13, 17:07

Just thinking out loud.

If you're paying $1200 "dealer" cost you need a new dealer. This is about what we pay for them and typically we retail them for $1000-$1150

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

VIP3R 237
12-12-13, 17:17
If you're paying $1200 "dealer" cost you need a new dealer. This is about what we pay for them and typically we retail them for $1000-$1150

The colt socom? The standard 6920 is in the price range you are listing, but the Socom is usually a couple hundred more from all of my distributors.

rdmega
12-12-13, 17:19
The colt socom? The standard 6920 is in the price range you are listing, but the Socom is usually a couple hundred more from all of my distributors.

Ours are $100 more than the magpul I think. I will look, but its not $1200 I know that.

Caduceus
12-12-13, 17:53
Ours are $100 more than the magpul I think. I will look, but its not $1200 I know that.

Well crap, and I thought I paid a good price over Black Friday.

mastiffhound
12-13-13, 00:28
Others have said it, ammo is the key. If ammo would get back down to $4-$5 a box for Wolf or $6-$6.50 a box for XM193 I would be stoked. $2 a box was what I paid when my brothers and myself first got into ARs years ago, if it went back to that I would feel like I hit the lottery. The cheapest I've seen is $9 a box for XM193. Just before the craziness I picked up 1000 XM193 for $300, $6 a box. I could also get 500 for $150, same price. Finding an AR for a good price isn't hard, some of those bad weather benchsitters who bought 10 at a time hoping for a ban are now stuck with 10 BowelMovements that they paid $3000 (or more) for each. Since those are now flooding the market quality BCMs, Colts, and others are going for a little less. You will find your deal with one of these. The good thing is .223/5.56 ammo is easier to find than .22LR, at least it is in my area.

Wake27
12-13-13, 00:51
Well crap, and I thought I paid a good price over Black Friday.

I'm pretty sure they're still talking about dealer pricing.

logan09
12-13-13, 01:35
Pretty sure my dunhams has it for $5.99 wolf or the WPA stuff. And they usually have sales on it. Looks like I might just get a complete rifle. Doesn't look like its much cheaper to start from scratch, and I see the link to the colt is dead now.

discreet
12-13-13, 02:04
I really dont see how prices are higher now than pre panic if your building your own. Even factory guns can be found pre panic costs.

Mags are as cheap, and in many cases cheaper than pre panic because companies are trying to offload the massive stock they have in. Barrels and lowers cost the same as before. Uppers are the same. Many companies who didnt price gouge during the panic all have parts in stock. Ammo is selling for the same cost at wallymart etc as before. Guess people think we should start seeing 50$ lowers and 5$ pmags or something. 8-12 for a gen 2 pmag is solid, 75-200 for a lower depending on type is normal also.

IMO if you want to get back into them now is definitely the time due to this mass stock of parts on the market. It's only going to get worse again as next election time peers around the corner so basically start buying now or risk being stuck in yet another mass buying spree sending prices up, companies gouging, and people buying mass quantities of things.

Worst thing that can happen is you by an ar, two, or 3, then end up not being as into them as you thought you would be again. Then just wait for the next mass panic buying and offload them for a good amount. Either way it's win win.

ColtSeavers
12-13-13, 09:27
If I were in your shoes (the OP), and wanted to get back into ARs again right now, I would without hesitation.

Boba Fett v2
12-13-13, 10:45
I've built and sold plenty of ARs.. Sold all of them before the prices skyrocketed. Started collecting shotguns, and older .22lrs. Enjoyed shooting them but lost interest. And know I see the prices coming back down to earth on ARs, lowers back down to $70, Uppers and BCGs seem to be fluctuating. First one on the left is the last one I sold for $650(I can only imagine if I held on to it):
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr95/logane09/IMG_0098-001.jpg (http://s473.photobucket.com/user/logane09/media/IMG_0098-001.jpg.html)

If you have to ask then you certainly don't need one. But if you're looking to start getting back into ARs a hobby there's no better time than the present.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)