PDA

View Full Version : Mossy 590A1 Review

plouffedaddy
12-12-13, 18:47
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/513/y79c.png (http://imageshack.com/i/e9y79cp)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/51/1tjl.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/1f1tjlj)

Mossberg or Remington? Um….. both? :D I'll be focusing on the 590A1 in this review however. I've had several over the years including the 18.5'' model which is probably my favorite due to the balance of it and the availability of 1 & 2 shot extensions. Here's what I've found over the years with my 590A1s:

Pros:
-Extremely reliable. So long as the shooter does his/her part and doesn't short stroke the gun there's an very high probability that the gun will go bang when you want it to. No gun is infallible but this one's about as close as it gets.
-Tons of different factory options out there. Different stocks, sights, finishes, ect…. can be had from the factory.
-Dual extractors.
-The 590s give you the ability to add mag tube extensions.
-The safety location is equally ergonomic for lefties and righties.
-Parkerized finish.
-Heavier barrel vs. the 500s.
-The shell lifter stays up when loading it.
-Metal trigger guard.

Cons:
-Relatively expensive compared to other pump guns.
-Some folks will consider the aluminum receiver to be a con for the gun (I don't think it matters either way as the lockup is still steel on steel).

All in all the 590A1 is as good as any pump shotgun out there and better than many. It's seen military/LEO/competition use for many years and continues to prove itself time and time again. Here's a video with some shooting and a discussion of the pros/cons/features of the shotgun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJGi7Rwdhs

jerrysimons
12-14-13, 01:38
I have a standard 590 non-a1 and am thinking about ditching the heat shield, do you find the heavey barrel gets too hot to touch after a string of fire?

Also what magazine extension is in your pic? How is the barrel shadow with the 18.5" and the wml?

Thanks

ST911
12-14-13, 09:58
Good overview. For best results with the Mossberg, I've found these helpful in my 500s and 590s:

Replace OEM mag springs at frequent intervals. They are pretty poor.
Remove, degrease, loctite, and reinstall stock screw, sling studs, ejector screw, sight screws, heat shield screws.
Replace OEM follower with a high visibility unit.
Watch extractors and springs, replace as needed.

I don't find heat shields of much use, even in prolonged firing.

BrigandTwoFour
12-14-13, 10:05
While they may not be terribly useful, I've always liked the look of the heat shield. Is it compatible with the MOE fore end?

jerrysimons
12-14-13, 10:46
While they may not be terribly useful, I've always liked the look of the heat shield. Is it compatible with the MOE fore end?

I don't think so. See the later pages of the Magpul thread.

B52U
12-14-13, 11:26
Thanks for the review and tips, I've been doing the 590A1 vs 870 research for a future purchase and keep leaning towards the mossberg for control placement reasons and the lack of the spring loaded shell lifter.

Do you find the extra thick barrel to be a pro or a con? (IE swing weight or recoil mitigation properties)

Slater
12-14-13, 11:44
I read somewhere that the A1's heavy-walled barrel was the result of some Navy requirement. Dunno how accurate that is, though.

Ratfink
12-14-13, 12:09
I read somewhere that the A1's heavy-walled barrel was the result of some Navy requirement. Dunno how accurate that is, though.

I don't know if it is but I carried one in the navy for a long time and there great reliable shotguns

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BrigandTwoFour
12-14-13, 13:29
Yep, just checked Magpul's site. Won't work together. No big deal, it's no deal breaker by any means.

austinN4
12-14-13, 14:40
Thanks for the review and tips, I've been doing the 590A1 vs 870 research for a future purchase and keep leaning towards the mossberg for control placement reasons and the lack of the spring loaded shell lifter.
Going to jump into this thread and answer.

I have owned and used all at the same time: 8+1 M590A1 GRS, R870E +2 factory extn and R870P parts, and a stock Winchester 1300 Defender.

I liked the M590A1 the best for its safety, slide release and and shell lifter, except it was too heavy fully loaded (but why have it any other way).

I liked the 1300 defender the least as I didn't like the controls and was the most uncomfortable to shoot.

The R870E was somewhere in the middle.

I ended up selling all 3 and moving to carbines for HD, but if I were to buy another HD shotgun it would be the 14" M590A1 SBS - great controls, short and highly maneuverable:
http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-590-a1-short-barrel-shotgun-14in-ghost-ring-night-sights-speedfeed-stock-52689-0.aspx

RHINOWSO
12-14-13, 16:45
I have a M590A1 SBS and was about to mod the fore grip to fit, since it comes with a short action tube it won't fit as designed. Not a big deal and not hard to modify.

B52U
12-14-13, 17:06
Going to jump into this thread and answer.

I have owned and used all at the same time: 8+1 M590A1 GRS, R870E +2 factory extn and R870P parts, and a stock Winchester 1300 Defender.

I liked the M590A1 the best for its safety, slide release and and shell lifter, except it was too heavy fully loaded (but why have it any other way).

I liked the 1300 defender the least as I didn't like the controls and was the most uncomfortable to shoot.

The R870E was somewhere in the middle.

I ended up selling all 3 and moving to carbines for HD, but if I were to buy another HD shotgun it would be the 14" M590A1 SBS - great controls, short and highly maneuverable:
http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-590-a1-short-barrel-shotgun-14in-ghost-ring-night-sights-speedfeed-stock-52689-0.aspx

Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful for me.

Plumber237
12-14-13, 22:53
Thanks for the review, I've been really wanting to pick one of these up lately and saw that fleet farm sells them for only $499 which is the cheapest I've seen them anywhere. I only own 2 shotguns, a savage bolt 12 for deer and an 870 super mag for goose/duck, but am interested in buying a HD shotgun. Plus Magpul released their MOE shotgun goodies for Mossberg now, including a few 590A1 specific ones :D

lawusmc0844
12-15-13, 00:58
Thank you, great review. I have the 590A1 SPX because I actually love the LPA Ghost Ring sights that come with it and the ported barrel helps control muzzle flip. Don't know why the AL receiver is an issue since the 590 passed the mil-spec test, doesnt rust, and 40yr+ Vietnam era M16/A1 receivers are still running just fine today. My only complaints are the weight and the fact my USMC OKC3S bayonet won't fit because of its handle profile, other than that I love my 590.
Just replaced the Surefire M70 railed forend I had on it with the new Magpul forend. The Surefire one was good but I don't need all that rail and it was expensive too. Haven't fired with it yet but so far I love the Magpul forend, wish they came out earlier!

Plumber237
12-15-13, 02:13
Law, are you gonna try out the Magpul stock for it too? I've heard really nice things about the stock and it's adjustability. Once I bite the bullet and buy a 590A1 it's getting all the Magpul goodies, most of the reviews I've found are very positive.

lawusmc0844
12-15-13, 02:50
No not yet, I hear good things about the Magpul stocks too but I want to try them out on a rental or a friend's before I spend the $. My 590A1 and Nighthawk 870 both have Hogue 12" LOP stocks and they work fine.
The 590A1 is a great shotgun, though heavy I prefer it over my two 500s that I sold already.

masakari
12-15-13, 11:02
I am a big fan of Mossbergs, specifically the 590. I have a 20" with Magpul furniture and it is the perfect combat shotgun for me.
If and when I get another HD shotgun, it will be a 18.5" 590A1 with ghost rings.

plouffedaddy
12-15-13, 18:08

Do you find the extra thick barrel to be a pro or a con? (IE swing weight or recoil mitigation properties)

I like it personally but I don't plan on trekking long distances with it either.

jerrysimons
12-15-13, 19:37
The 590 is a pig fully loaded. I am looking to trade my standard 590 and get the 590a1spx for the LPA sights since the sights by themselves are $300. I can just get a new gun and sell the old one for the differance.
Though I would prefer the 590a1 18.5" for wieldability. I wish Mossberg would make a 590a1 18.5" SPX w/ LPA sights and barrel length 7rd mag tube; that would be ideal. After handling the 930, though, I see that mounting the sight high on top of the rail results in a slightly awkward chin weld. Presumably Benelli mounts the sight lower and behind the rail to avoid this. The new Magpul stock with riser sounds like the ticket with the 590 SPX and an rds.

ST911
12-15-13, 20:24
The difference in barrels is noticeable in longer shooting sessions, and especially in the 20". That being said, it is still quite manageable. More than the weight itself, it's the distribution of it.

For those not familiar with the difference in barrel walls we're talking about, here's a pic. 590A1 on the right, 590SP on the left.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/Mossbergs/IMG_0940.jpg

brushy bill
12-15-13, 21:00
For those not familiar with the difference in barrel walls we're talking about, here's a pic. 590A1 on the right, 590SP on the left.

That is a big difference. More than I expected. Thanks for posting that.

austinN4
12-15-13, 21:39
NIce side by side, thanks!

B52U
12-15-13, 21:51

Holy smokes, that is a beast. I've heard 2 reasons for that spec, the first is the navy "keep from denting barrel on bulkheads" reason, and someone emailed mossberg and were told the extra thickness was for better heat dissipation during prolonged shooting. Interesting.

Do you think it's possible that the mass would help tame 12 guage recoil?

ST911
12-15-13, 22:04
Do you think it's possible that the mass would help tame 12 guage recoil?

Added weight helps recoil control a bit. The value and perception of it will be subjective.

lawusmc0844
12-15-13, 22:42
The 590 is a pig fully loaded. I am looking to trade my standard 590 and get the 590a1spx for the LPA sights since the sights by themselves are $300. I can just get a new gun and sell the old one for the differance.
Though I would prefer the 590a1 18.5" for wieldability. I wish Mossberg would make a 590a1 18.5" SPX w/ LPA sights and barrel length 7rd mag tube; that would be ideal. After handling the 930, though, I see that mounting the sight high on top of the rail results in a slightly awkward chin weld. Presumably Benelli mounts the sight lower and behind the rail to avoid this. The new Magpul stock with riser sounds like the ticket with the 590 SPX and an rds.

Good idea; I wish I purchased my 590 SPX in the first place instead of buying a 20" 500 and the 18.5" collaspable stock 500 later on both at Big 5 on sale. I thought it would be easy to customize them. Its a pain in the ass finding the LPA front and rear seperate and I would've paid alot for the front sight and silver solder installation since I'm not a gunsmith.

Personal preference but I actually like the fact both the 590 and 930 SPX have the LPA rear mounted on the rail. With a low LaRue mount for my T1, I had a good lower 1/3rd cowitness. My Nighthawk 870 has the LPA sights on the receiver behind the rail and unfortunately the T1 is too high to cowitness with the irons.

Yes cheekweld on both of my shotguns are not optimal since it looks like the Hogue stocks were meant for bead sight shotguns. Probably should get the Magpul stocks and call it a day :cool:

jerrysimons
12-16-13, 10:32
Good idea; I wish I purchased my 590 SPX in the first place instead of buying a 20" 500 and the 18.5" collaspable stock 500 later on both at Big 5 on sale. I thought it would be easy to customize them. Its a pain in the ass finding the LPA front and rear seperate and I would've paid alot for the front sight and silver solder installation since I'm not a gunsmith.

Personal preference but I actually like the fact both the 590 and 930 SPX have the LPA rear mounted on the rail. With a low LaRue mount for my T1, I had a good lower 1/3rd cowitness. My Nighthawk 870 has the LPA sights on the receiver behind the rail and unfortunately the T1 is too high to cowitness with the irons.

Yes cheekweld on both of my shotguns are not optimal since it looks like the Hogue stocks were meant for bead sight shotguns. Probably should get the Magpul stocks and call it a day :cool:

Good to know that your t1 has a lower 1/3rd co witness with the rail mounted LPA sights. That is what I am going for with a t1 and factory QD mount or bobro, if not an RMR.

Yeah, it is not feasible to add the LPA sights if your shotgun didn't come factory equiped. Mossberg makes a 500 SPX set up similarly equiped to what I am going for but it does not have the metal trigger guard and safety or the heavey barrel. More importantly, if I am not mistaken, mag tube extensions can not be added to the 500s like they can to the 590. Can they?
http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-500-spx-12g-18in-pump-pistol-grip-shotgun-51523-015813515238.aspx

lawusmc0844
12-16-13, 11:37
Yeah I wish I bought the 500 SPX model instead before. I also wish they made 18.5" 590A1 SPX since the biggest downside of the 500 series for me is that its not very modular. I don't think there any mag tube extensions for the 500 series, considering how the barrel is attached.