PDA

View Full Version : VZ58?

graffex
12-12-13, 21:22
Was curious if anyone had some trigger time/ insight behind these series of rifles. I don't know anything about them but seeing them in Showtimes Strike Back peaked my interest. I thought it was just a Ak variant but it is actually a completely different design with no commonality in parts with Ak family.

misanthropist
12-12-13, 23:57
I like them a lot. They're very common in Canada. I did a two day course with one under Ken Hackathorn. He was favorably impressed with them. There were three in the course iirc. No issues.

The milled receiver is rigid and as a result accuracy is quite good considering the pencil barrel.

Extraction cycle is extremely positive. Cheap casings may get the rims ripped off if lacquer has built up in the chamber from old surplus ammo.

Ejection port is the entire top half of the gun. You won't get one to stovepipe unless brass gets chucked in from somewhere else.

Only complaint: some people have reported a trigger gremlin I which the trigger fails to reset.

I haven't encountered it on my gun and I'm not clear on which models are likely to be affected.

In general, they're one of my favorite carbines. I mainly shoot ARs but I'm not giving up my 58.

Magic_Salad0892
12-13-13, 00:12
I got to play with a 5.56mm short barrel model once, and it was awesome. I kind of want one.

SteyrAUG
12-13-13, 01:24
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?33946-Czech-Please

graffex
12-13-13, 16:32
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?33946-Czech-Please

Ah, lots of good info there Steyr. Thanks.

aud1838
12-14-13, 22:28
The vz58 impressed me more than any other rifle on the first time holding it. It really is a masterfully designed and executed rifle.

m4brian
12-15-13, 14:56
The CP VZ 58 on a Czech receiver IS a piece of art. I am a bit different in body pattern, so I got some stinging cheek slap with the very nice fixed stock. I have gone to the military folder, and have not fired enough yet, but think it MAY be a tad better. The light weight and slanted style stock are to me less comfortable than the AK, with a snappier recoil, but there are certain advantages. Checking the weapon is a breeze, and easy to do at any angle. This is a very good thing. Bolt hold open is just plain smart - although, on mine the plastic followers are not as robust to do this 100%. The ability to mount a finger release on the mag release for the right hand is great (have to get one). Also, the mags go in SO SMOOTH, it is amazing. The CP safety setup to me seems much better than an AK. You KNOW when it is on without looking and you can flick it off with your hand squarely on the grip. It is an amazing piece of machinery. The workmanship alone is a superb reason for ownership.