PDA

View Full Version : High round count parts and service - Remmy 870

K.L. Davis
12-12-13, 21:33
From the other thread talking about round count in shottys... a suggestion was made to do this post, let's stick with the 870 here.

I will start with a Wingmaster that I bought at a Rod & Gun Club in Germany in 1979 - conservatively it has 40,000 rounds through it and that much or more in "dry fire" drills. Here is a list of what I replaced and why.

Elective Changes
The stock - I changed it out a few times, always because I wanted to.
The barrel - again, only because I wanted to replace the original cut-down, vent rib barrel with a barrel I had reworked; no reason to change it other than that.
Mag tube spring and follower - I guess around 20K this was changed out, it was worn but still worked; I changed it when I added a ST extension.

Changed for Cause
At probably around 25K or so, the shotty took an extended salt water bath... and despite what I thought was a good cleaning, I noticed rust weeping from behind the shell catch bars and the ejector and ejector spring - so I stripped the receiver, cleaned it really well and replaced the shell catches and ejector set. They were worn, but still worked... I changed them while I had them out just to make sure.

Unknown
My wife puts it best when she says "we don't have a shotgun for every room in the house... we have a shotgun for every corner, of every room in the house" - I like shotguns, they are my first and still favorite shooting love! So, I can not with confidence say that the trigger pack or the front tube and action bars are the original ones... but I can say that if they are not, they were swapped with another gun only as part of swapping out fore ends or working on a cluttered bench.

Added Parts
Reworked barrel
Front and rear sights
Mag extension, spring and follower
Stock(s)
Sling mounts
Krylon paint

Bottom Line - Parts changed because they broke or the gun would no longer work: None

Wake27
12-12-13, 23:44
That's awesome. Its a shame that the newer ones they've been putting out can't even extract properly. I had really didn't have any good reason to go with Remington over Mossberg when I got my 870 a year or two ago, but now wish I had gone the other way.