PDA

View Full Version : 80% Lower Recommendation

Grizzlyatoms
12-13-13, 08:14
Looking for an 80% Lower with good instructions and a well built milling jig
Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

morpheus6d9
12-13-13, 08:33
ive been looking at http://www.stealtharms.net/products/ and http://whiskeyarms.com/products/80-with-fixture-and-tooling

polymorpheous
12-13-13, 08:45
Tactical Machining.

They sell forged 80's starting at $73 and have nice milling jigs.
More importantly, they are in stock.
Not sure on the instructions.

bshot
12-13-13, 08:53
Tactical Machining.

They sell forged 80's starting at $73 and have nice milling jigs.
More importantly, they are in stock.
Not sure on the instructions.

They are having a sale as well: http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-christmas-sale-2013.html

Grizzlyatoms
12-13-13, 09:40
I will add I have access to a fully equipped machine shop (all manual equipment) and a buddy who has been a machinist since the 70's. I want something with a good jig so I don't have to take up my buddy's time.

justin_247
12-13-13, 12:04
I will add I have access to a fully equipped machine shop (all manual equipment) and a buddy who has been a machinist since the 70's. I want something with a good jig so I don't have to take up my buddy's time.

From my understanding, all you need is a drill press. If you have access to a full machine shop, you may just want to download a CAD image of the lower and put it in the CNC machine.

MSW
12-13-13, 14:31
I used Ares--took a loooong time, but their jig is great! Ares was the only shop that would take a back-order inJan this year--if Tactical Machining had stuff in stock--I'd go with them.

BSmith
12-14-13, 20:15
If you have access to a full machine shop, you may just want to download a CAD image of the lower and put it in the CNC machine.

I wish it was that easy.

Cwalker
12-14-13, 20:43
I wish it was that easy.

I've been around a machine shop a few years now and I wouldn't call myself a machinist but if you know someone with 40 years experience the job will go pretty quick. Hardest part is getting the lower/jig dialed in and with a decent jig and a proper machine shop it wouldn't be that hard...easy actually.

msigette
12-15-13, 08:52
Can anyone post a pic of their finished 80% lower. I'm curious how they turned out and how many tries it took to get it right. Also since you completed it how many rounds have you fired out of it and any issues?

BSmith
12-15-13, 09:14
I've been around a machine shop a few years now and I wouldn't call myself a machinist but if you know someone with 40 years experience the job will go pretty quick. Hardest part is getting the lower/jig dialed in and with a decent jig and a proper machine shop it wouldn't be that hard...easy actually.

He was talking about building a lower from scratch by just downloading the blueprint and loading it into the CNC machine.

Can anyone post a pic of their finished 80% lower. I'm curious how they turned out and how many tries it took to get it right. Also since you completed it how many rounds have you fired out of it and any issues?

As far as doing an 80%, it can be done in about 45 minutes without even stressing. I did a few the other day in the garage on my mill. Put a pin through the take down pin holes and slap the jig in the vise. Flip it and edge find off the pin, edge find off the sides of the lower, split it in half and start cutting.

My first one turned out fine but I'm a machinist. Screwed up the math on the trigger slot so it's longer than necessary but I was just looking at the print and running back and forth to the computer for the measurements. Inside looks fine, used a long 7/16 end mill and did a clean up pass at full depth.

I had a guy that came over, out of 4 I think he had 2 that were usable. 2nd and 3rd I believe. He was a little zealous but I remember my first time on a milling machine, my whole head was ****ed. So I feel like he did pretty good. He kept spinning the handles the wrong way. It could definitely be done in your first shot no problem if you take your time and use one of the walk throughs so you can stay focused. I'd bring 2 depending on how big the favor is to get on the mill. At least you'll go home with one that works.

Only fired 30 rounds out of them. Fired a few rounds at a time checking to make sure the mag locked back. Everything was fine. The tolerances on it are relatively lose for anyone with any experience.

tb-av
12-15-13, 10:10
One of those places that sells the 80% also have build parties. They have pre configured stations for each step and walk you through it. Even at that, people screw it up sometimes.. I don't understand the allure of these things. If you have a shop, and know what you are doing then yes, but for the average person, why not just buy a blem for $75 or a non-blem for $150... it seems like a lot less trouble. I'm all for DIY, but generally in all the DIY I have usually done, you save a lot of money. Like a $2K item might run you $900 and you can customize it to a degree in many cases. I had thought of giving it a go but it seems like a waste of time. There is a guy here locally that has offered up his shop to basically anyone for basically "beer".

So I buy a lower $80+gas money $10 + beer money $10 + time and even as a hooby that has got be another $10 + paint of some sort $20?? + the possibility of maybe screwing something up and having to re-do another $80.

Total = perfect first try = $130
Total = perfect second try = $210

You could buy 3 blems from Palmetto for that while you reload ammo and they will probably look better than the lower you make and the one you use as a paper weight.

I like the whole idea but don't understand why it's so popular for the one off shade tree armorer.

eljimbo142
12-15-13, 11:03
I like the whole idea but don't understand why it's so popular for the one off shade tree armorer.[/QUOTE]

it is a good route to making an ar pistol in places like ca. i don't believe you have to register them.

SteveS
12-16-13, 20:20
I like the whole idea but don't understand why it's so popular for the one off shade tree armorer.

it is a good route to making an ar pistol in places like ca. i don't believe you have to register them.[/QUOTE]
Build one and find out why there is the pleasure of the 80% lower. Cost more but there is the pride in doing what you can yourself. A build party with an expertly programmed CNC is like sex and it takes about 10 miniutes . Not sure which takes longer though.

Ryno12
12-16-13, 20:31
One of those places that sells the 80% also have build parties. They have pre configured stations for each step and walk you through it. Even at that, people screw it up sometimes.. I don't understand the allure of these things. If you have a shop, and know what you are doing then yes, but for the average person, why not just buy a blem for $75 or a non-blem for $150... it seems like a lot less trouble. I'm all for DIY, but generally in all the DIY I have usually done, you save a lot of money. Like a $2K item might run you $900 and you can customize it to a degree in many cases. I had thought of giving it a go but it seems like a waste of time. There is a guy here locally that has offered up his shop to basically anyone for basically "beer".

So I buy a lower $80+gas money $10 + beer money $10 + time and even as a hooby that has got be another $10 + paint of some sort $20?? + the possibility of maybe screwing something up and having to re-do another $80.

Total = perfect first try = $130
Total = perfect second try = $210

You could buy 3 blems from Palmetto for that while you reload ammo and they will probably look better than the lower you make and the one you use as a paper weight.

I think you're missing the point of 80% lowers.

Sent via Tapatalk

polymorpheous
12-16-13, 22:54
I think you're missing the point of 80% lowers.

Sent via Tapatalk

There is one in every 80% thread.

JSantoro
12-17-13, 08:51
The fact that sentences like "There is one in every 80% lower thread" can be posted is a clue that perhaps we didn't need a new thread.

So is the fact that punching "80% lower" (i.e., the first two words of this thread's title....think about that for a second) into the Search feature, brought up a metric buttload of info.....NONE of which has changed in any substantive manner in 6+yrs.