PDA

View Full Version : LMT BUIS??

AllAmerican
05-11-08, 12:50
I finally got my new LMT put together. I added the DD Omega rail, a offset light mount, Tango Down front hand grip. The only things left that I want to do before I get it out and ready for the summer classes is a sling system, (I only have experience with the military 2 point) and I want to get a red dot. After reading the threads (Eoteck vs Aimpoint) I have decided on the Aimpoint.
The LMT upper I bought came with the LMT rear site. It is HUGE! Will not fit under a scope. My question is...
Should I sell / trade the rear site for a arms 40L or will an Aimpoint fit close enough back and still co-witness dead on with the LMT setup? That is what I would like. Instead of the lower 1/3 co-witness....
Also, should the Aimpoint sit on the cantilever mount or down as low as possible with a regular mount???? Does any one have this setup?

As allways, I appreciate your time on any and all comments.

RD62
05-11-08, 13:22
The Aimpoint should fit on the rail even with the LMT fixed in place no problem.

The rest is going to boil down to personal preference. I prefer a lower 1/3 cowitness between my irons and optic. This normally dictates a higher mount, but really doesn't sacrifice cheek weld, and gives a less cluttered view of the optics reticle if deploying the iron sight. With fixed irons, you can look over them at the optics reticle.

I have the same LMT fixed BUIS on my LMT 10.5" gun, and am running it with an EOTech. It doesn't bother me, and given the intended purpose of an SBR I want the irons immediately available without having to flip them up if the optic takes a dump. I have run it absolute co-witness like you say you prefer and it is fine, but seems cluttered to me.

On my 16" Middy I have an ARMS #40 flip sight. I like it and it has worked well for me. I like the less cluttered view it allows.

It just personal preference. Cantilever mount, standard, lower 1/3, absolute, up to you, and you'll probably change some of it around once you run it a few times anyway. The classes will help you shake it out.

Check out the Vickers sling from BFG. And enjoy your rifle!

-RD62

P.S. My #40 is a standard model, but if you wanna swap let me know...

BC520
05-16-08, 20:03
I run an LMT on my duty rig. If I have no need for a scoped optic I prefer the A2 sight for the shooting and training that I do. I have used it with Aimpoints and EOTechs. It is not a problem to run any Aimpoint with this. I prefer to not use the cantilever and I use an absolute cowitness at this time. I may change that to a 1/3 cowitness at a later time. Some people do not like seeing the wings and aperatures of the BUIS. When I shoot I have not found them to clutter up things, but its something I also am used to. I like the ability to have the BUIS ready to go. If you prefer to not use the A2 sight, I think you would be better to go with a sight such as Troy over the A.R.M.S choices. I used a 40L and gave it away to someone contracting in Afghanistan. Midwest Industries has a very nice looking BUIS similar to the Troy but with a windage that looks like it can be manipulated better. Paul at BravoCompany USAA will be able to let yuou know about the Midwest Industries one as they are local to him and he carries them.

The only time I KNOW the LMT sight will have issues with mounting a red dot optic is when one mounts a 551/552 direct to the upper receiver rails and one runs the M4 handguards or rifle handguards. The upper handguard will needed to be dremeled or otherwise relieved of some material so allow the front of the battery box to sit down correctly.

Hope this helps.

bohica
05-16-08, 22:26
i traded my LMT BUIS for a troy folding model and havent looked back...

keep in mind u can mount ur aimpoint anywhere from the back of the receiver to out on the hand guard since you have the omega

id say wait till you get your aimpoint mount it and if you dont like that set up or it doesnt work trade your LMT buis or sell it

Failure2Stop
05-17-08, 07:20
No fixed rear BUIS will fit under a scope. If you want a traditional scope you will need to go with a flip-up of some type. I would go with the Troy over the ARMS any day. A Flip-up BUIS is good to go, either run up or down. However, a fixed BUIS will be stronger. I put a fixed BUIS on any of my guns that will NOT be using a magnifier or magnified optic. I put a folding Troy on those that do. Some people don't like to see their rear sight when using a red-dot, and prefer to run their BUIS down.

Whatever you can do effectively and efficiently, consistently, is fine with me. I have my personal preference, but that was born out of years of trial with different systems. It hasn't stopped.

Cowitness- I am going to come right out and say it- Lower 1/3 is a better cowitness height for a fighting gun. Absolute cowitness will have you obscuring 1/2 of your target, losing awareness of threat and making hold-over more difficult at distance as well as close range.

HOWEVER- My advice to you would be to wait until after your class to decide on what you prefer. Why? There will be others at the class with different set-ups, as well as the instructor should have a few guns you can try out.

If you build a skill with irons, you will have carry-over to the Aimpoint, and will be able to use the drills and skills from your instructor later with the AP.

But that's just me.

Spooky130
05-18-08, 15:11
I was running the LMT BUIS, front and rear with a CompM2 in the Aimpoint mount with a KillFlash on it. It gave me an absolute cowitness which I did not like. Between the dot, front sight post and wings, the rear sight aperture, and the pattern of the KillFlash, the sight picture was super busy. I had a hard time making out the target behind all that crap. I ended up getting the slightly taller LaRue mount and can't be happier. It works very well with the BUIS being isolated at the bottom of the sight picture and the dot by itself slightly higher.

Spooky