PDA

View Full Version : Innovative Arms Warfighter Adjustable Receiver

Bandit401
12-15-13, 17:59
Has anyone used or know of anyone who has used a Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper on 300BLK?? They state that it is designed for "quality 5.56x45mm ammunition only" and that it uses a proprietary carbine gas tube. I thought that it would be more convenient than an adjustable gas block if I could use it on 300 BLK and use a pistol-length gas tube. Any opinions?

Quiet Riot
12-15-13, 18:40
Is the point to turn off the gas when shooting subsonic suppressed? Otherwise, the whole point of the 300 BLK spec is to be able to run suppressed sub- and supersonics with no need to change the gas.

mtdawg169
12-15-13, 19:15
Has anyone used or know of anyone who has used a Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper on 300BLK?? They state that it is designed for "quality 5.56x45mm ammunition only" and that it uses a proprietary carbine gas tube. I thought that it would be more convenient than an adjustable gas block if I could use it on 300 BLK and use a pistol-length gas tube. Any opinions?

Not needed for 300. I have a buddy that tried it and it wouldn't cycle with subs.

mtdawg169
12-15-13, 19:17
Is the point to turn off the gas when shooting subsonic suppressed? Otherwise, the whole point of the 300 BLK spec is to be able to run suppressed sub- and supersonics with no need to change the gas.

It doesn't shut off the gas. The switch in the upper receiver has two orifices, one small and one large. The small one is designed to operate similarly to a switchblock, reducing the flow & back pressure when shooting suppressed.

Bandit401
12-15-13, 20:39
I appreciate the replies. Thanks

Ned Christiansen
12-15-13, 21:43
Good stuff in a nutshell, for 16" or 14.5" carbine-length 5.56. I tested two, in 5.45 and 5.56, can't really speak to .300 BLK. Article forthcoming on it in SWAT Magazine.

krichbaum
12-16-13, 05:59
How 'bout for use with 10.5" to 11.5" barrels in 5.56 and/or 5.45? Anybody have experience with that?

Quiet Riot
12-16-13, 06:09
It doesn't shut off the gas. The switch in the upper receiver has two orifices, one small and one large. The small one is designed to operate similarly to a switchblock, reducing the flow & back pressure when shooting suppressed.

It seems like a very interesting system for the right applications.

eodinert
12-19-13, 01:20
How 'bout for use with 10.5" to 11.5" barrels in 5.56 and/or 5.45? Anybody have experience with that?

I run one in 5.56... as I recall, my barrel is 11.5. It works as advertised, it's a bit quieter, and seems far less overgassed using the WAR upper. I also don't have a problem with gas and fumes around the GI charging handle, either.

One of these days I'll buy another one, if I can find one in stock.

mtdawg169
12-19-13, 06:23
I run one in 5.56... as I recall, my barrel is 11.5. It works as advertised, it's a bit quieter, and seems far less overgassed using the WAR upper. I also don't have a problem with gas and fumes around the GI charging handle, either.

One of these days I'll buy another one, if I can find one in stock.

Check out Quiet Riot Firearms if you're looking for one. Local dealer and good to go.

Quiet Riot
12-19-13, 06:45
Check out Quiet Riot Firearms if you're looking for one. Local dealer and good to go.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this thread, I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company. This is just random coincidence.

quaesitor logica
12-30-13, 08:35
I wonder if this receiver superior to an adjustable gasblock or a switch block from Noveske. Seems like a gasblock would be a much cheaper route to go if it performs just as well.

Dave_M
12-30-13, 18:02
I have a rifle equipped with one of these uppers. Works well for suppressed/unsuppressed application but I prefer a quick-adjust gas block from a different company because it allows gas to be dialed in.

quaesitor logica
12-30-13, 21:20
I have a rifle equipped with one of these uppers. Works well for suppressed/unsuppressed application but I prefer a quick-adjust gas block from a different company because it allows gas to be dialed in.

I suspected that this would be the case. Thanks for the insight. I am also a fan of multiple setting gas-blocks that allow for fine tuning.

Dave_M
12-30-13, 22:58
I suspected that this would be the case. Thanks for the insight. I am also a fan of multiple setting gas-blocks that allow for fine tuning.

Don't get me wrong, I like it for what it is: a turn-key solution. I can get really nerdy about optimizing gas though (happens when you blow out many parts uber early from severe overgassing). Switchblock is OK but not my preferred setup. There's a pro/con list for all of them though.

quaesitor logica
12-31-13, 09:18
Don't get me wrong, I like it for what it is: a turn-key solution. I can get really nerdy about optimizing gas though (happens when you blow out many parts uber early from severe overgassing). Switchblock is OK but not my preferred setup. There's a pro/con list for all of them though.

Understood and again thank you for the info. I am a bit of a gas-nerd myself. My favorite GB right now is the SLR Rifleworks adjustable G.B. I actually shop for a barrel with a big honking gas-port ( I love them CHF P.S.A middies with a gaping .080+ port) so that I have as much range as possible to play with.

Ned Christiansen
02-26-14, 13:24
Somebody just told me my article in SWAT about the WAR upper is out. Have not got mine in the mail yet but my copy doesn't always get here before it hits the stands. I think it's the April issue but might be March.

eternal24k
07-16-15, 13:42
Does anybody have one? How much of a difference do they make? Now that I can finally have suppressors I am hearing up to configure some ideal SBRs, would like to keep my FSB but not sure if this will do enough to tame a 10.3" DD barrel

eodinert
07-16-15, 16:00
Yeah, I still have one, and it still works.

It makes the rifle shoot softer, and in my case, have no gas issues around the charging handle. I also think it is quieter suppressed, since less gas vents out the holes in the bolt carrier group. I can't quantify this with measurements, it's just an opinion.

An adjustable gas block seems like an easier solution, and sometimes it probably is... but the area around the gas block is a busy place on my rifles. Usually, the block is burried under a rail.. that may or may not have stuff on it. Also, the gas block gets hot... The WAR selector does not (that I've seen). If you subtract the cost of a regular upper plus an adjustable gas block from the cost of the WAR upper, it's not out of the ballpark from some of the pricier adjustable gas blocks.

I have two or three adjustable gas blocks, and one WAR upper. For a rifle that is sometimes shot suppressed, and sometimes unsuppressed, the WAR upper is hard to beat IMO.

No affiliation with the WAR folks, and I paid full retail for it.

krichbaum
07-17-15, 06:50
I have one I've been playing around with. In terms of using it for the intended purpose, this is one of the better options in my opinion. Gas blocks with a bunch of settings aren't nearly as good for switching between suppressed and non...a two or three position valve is the way to go for that. Having the valve/adjustment in the upper as on the WAR makes it easy to get the desired setting when needed, yet it's very hard for it to get switched accidentally. And of course, it allows you to have a fixed FSB with adjustable gas.

One downside to these uppers is that they recommend a HUGE gas port in the barrel. I'm using my WAR with a 10.5" barrel and an 078" gas port currently but I'll be drilling it out probably. With 223 ammo this combo barely runs on a carbine buffer (ejection is pretty weak and back past 4:00 direction). I believed that IA recommends a port of 084" to 093". So eternal24k, I bet this upper will work pretty good with your DD barrel (you may even need to open up the gas port). I'm not sure why it needs a large gas port, but it really does need it.

I only have something like 500rds through mine and as I mentioned, I'll probably open up the gas port in the barrel some. So far with my Mini4 suppressor, the suppressed position does seem to limit gas feed by about the right amount as the ejection force and direction hardly changes when compared to unsuppressed. That could change when the gas port is opened up some, but I doubt it would change much.

eternal24k
07-18-15, 09:29
I have one I've been playing around with. In terms of using it for the intended purpose, this is one of the better options in my opinion. Gas blocks with a bunch of settings aren't nearly as good for switching between suppressed and non...a two or three position valve is the way to go for that. Having the valve/adjustment in the upper as on the WAR makes it easy to get the desired setting when needed, yet it's very hard for it to get switched accidentally. And of course, it allows you to have a fixed FSB with adjustable gas.

One downside to these uppers is that they recommend a HUGE gas port in the barrel. I'm using my WAR with a 10.5" barrel and an 078" gas port currently but I'll be drilling it out probably. With 223 ammo this combo barely runs on a carbine buffer (ejection is pretty weak and back past 4:00 direction). I believed that IA recommends a port of 084" to 093". So eternal24k, I bet this upper will work pretty good with your DD barrel (you may even need to open up the gas port). I'm not sure why it needs a large gas port, but it really does need it.

I only have something like 500rds through mine and as I mentioned, I'll probably open up the gas port in the barrel some. So far with my Mini4 suppressor, the suppressed position does seem to limit gas feed by about the right amount as the ejection force and direction hardly changes when compared to unsuppressed. That could change when the gas port is opened up some, but I doubt it would change much.

that's very good to know, I did not realize they need a larger port. Makes me feel better about the DD, i didnt want to sell it as it has been a gem despite being a filthy pig

krichbaum
07-18-15, 17:29
Just remembered another downside you should know about...the selector lever kind of gets in the way of most optic mounts. If you have a RDS, moving it back one or two slots is all that's needed. But if you have a magnified optic, you might have issues with that if it's a scope with a long eye relief and you don't have room in the mount to move the scope back forward.