PDA

View Full Version : Need Gun Safe Recommendations

tdoom15
12-17-13, 06:38
I've been researching for a while now, below are the features and price range I'm looking for, any recommendations off of that would be appreciated.

I won't be storing anything irreplaceable, mostly guns, jewelry and data. Data will be backed up elsewhere and my home owners will cover the loss of any items. I mainly want to avoid the average theif stealing and selling my guns to other low lifes.

$1,000-1,200
Approximately 60H x 36W x 25+D
12ga or thicker
30+ min fire protection
S&G (or equivalent) mechanical lock
Outside hinges/removable door would be a plus
Good warranty and reputation

Idealy, I'd love a study as they seem to be a lot of "safe" for the money, but that is unfortunately out of my price range. Looks like I'll be somewhere in the Cannon/Liberty range, but can't quite figure out where to go from here . Any specific model or brand recommendations would be appreciated. Good deals or sales would be a bonus.

Also, side note. From what I understand, a fire ax is going to fairly easily chew through the side of an 10-12ga steel safe, is that correct? I should probably look into bolting it down in a closet or other enclosed area to avoid this?

bzdog
12-17-13, 07:43
Take a look at Sturdysafe. I like mine. All business.

-john

bluejackets92fs
12-17-13, 07:44
My vote would be for a liberty or champion/superior. They have the best warranty and quality in the industry. I'm not sure on what models fall into your spec range but it shouldn't be hard to find on their websites.

Campbell
12-17-13, 09:01
My vote would be for a liberty or champion/superior. They have the best warranty and quality in the industry. I'm not sure on what models fall into your spec range but it shouldn't be hard to find on their websites.

Champion is our areas best option...worth a look.

sva01
12-17-13, 11:17
Check out http://www.challengersafecompany.com/
They are made by Champion but cost less. Seem to be a good value for the money. I like that they have 3/8" doors instead of 12ga. I called the company and got my questions answered over the phone. Very friendly and helpful.

titanse05
12-17-13, 14:20
I bought my first safe two years ago to protect my small collection. I spent a good bit of time researching and looking at the different safes and ended up purchasing a Sturdy Safe 3627-6 without the interior. I spent more than I wanted to initially but I got way more for my money with the Sturdy. The thickness of the american steel, quality of the fire insulator and word of mouth is what resulted me in going with Sturdy. Would buy the same safe again no doubt. Don't skimp on your safe, buy once cry once.

Javelin
12-17-13, 14:29
after buying a few I would tell you my only regret is not getting one with both digital and manual dial. Can't tell you how many times I've went to my safes over the years to have the battery too low on the digital lock to work the mechanism and then I need a new 9V to open the safe. It's not something I want to experience in a pinch.