PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint: Which one and where from?

Skyyr
12-18-13, 11:22
I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Aimpoint, just not sure which one. My first pick is the M4/S, but at $800 for an RDS, I'm having a really hard time justifying it. I DO prefer the larger tube on the M4 (over the micro Aimpoints), which leads me to the previous gen Aimpoints. Is there that much of an improvement in the M4's vs M3's? Enough to justify the cost difference? I also really dislike that the M3's can turn/cant if not mounted perfectly level. All of that leads me to the T-1, which I can't really fault for anything except its smaller tube, which can make odd-position sight acquisition slightly more complicated at times.

Lastly, are there any places offering Christmas deals on Aimpoints?

Thanks, and I appreciate the input!

WickedWillis
12-18-13, 11:48
Have you looked at the Pro? Easily the best bargain in optics out there.

Skyyr
12-18-13, 12:24
Have you looked at the Pro? Easily the best bargain in optics out there.

It seems very good, but shelling out $400+ for what seems to be a re-worked M2 in a less-durable configuration (compared to the M4 and T-1) seems like a big compromise, IMO.

WickedWillis
12-18-13, 12:27
I'm not sure it's less durable by any means. It also comes with a decent mount. I really do not think you are sacrificing anything by going with the Pro IMO.

Anthony.L
12-18-13, 12:32
It seems very good, but shelling out $400+ for what seems to be a re-worked M2 in a less-durable configuration (compared to the M4 and T-1) seems like a big compromise, IMO.

It's not by any means. I would argue you would never notice the difference between a Pro and a CompM2.

3 AE
12-18-13, 12:35
RifleGear has a 10% off code XMAS10P on everything in stock.

ETA. If you don't need NVD capability, or the "Extruded" high strength aluminum body instead of the "Regular" high strength aluminum body, and no need to be waterproof down to 80 feet depth, the H-1 has been highly recommended here. Check out RifleGears package of H-1/w American Defense T-1 QD mount. $535 after discount.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-2728-aimpoint-micro-h-1-2moa-with-free-american-defense-t1-10-mount.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/p-2640-aimpoint-micro-h-1-2moa-with-free-american-defense-t1-11-mount.aspx

Skyyr
12-18-13, 12:47
It's not by any means. I would argue you would never notice the difference between a Pro and a CompM2.

That's my point. The PRO is a virtually M2, so purchasing an M2 when we have the advances of the M3, M4, and T-1 seems sort of backwards to me, unless the durability and performance gains just aren't really worth it. I can honestly say I've never seen someone recommend an M2 over an M3 or M4, so I guess that's where my skepticism over the PRO comes from.

CoryCop25
12-18-13, 12:50
I have an M4, 2 H-1s and 2 T-1s. Never look back. These guys are the go to guys...... http://www.strohmanenterprise.com/aimpoint/aimpoint.php

Anthony.L
12-18-13, 12:51
That's my point. The PRO is a virtually M2, so purchasing an M2 when we have the advances of the M3, M4, and T-1 seems sort of backwards to me, unless the durability and performance gains just aren't really worth it. I can honestly say I've never seen someone recommend an M2 over an M3 or M4, so I guess that's where my skepticism over the PRO comes from.

You are honesty over thinking this. The PRO was originally designed for LEO only, hence the name Patrol Rifle Optic. The only reason the price is so much lower was for LEO. Then they decided to let everyone purchase the PRO, and now we get a M2 for basically a lot less.

Just buy the PRO and I guarantee you will be happy with it.

Skyyr
12-18-13, 13:35
That makes sense - thank you for the input!

Quick question - does the T-1 come AR ready for mounting? Or does it require an additional mount/spacer? I've searched and can't seem to find a clear answer.

WickedWillis
12-18-13, 13:40

Quick question - does the T-1 come AR ready for mounting? Or does it require an additional mount/spacer? I've searched and can't seem to find a clear answer.

It does not come with a mount/riser.

Koshinn
12-18-13, 13:46

The PRO is a M2 with a 2 moa dot and some other newer internals iirc. Basically a modern version of the M2.

And at a couple hundred less than a T1, it's hard to beat. I actually like my pro better than my T1 besides that the battery is harder to find.

rackham1
12-18-13, 13:57

What advances are you referring to, and do they make a practical difference? Honest question. I just don't know. I can guess maybe battery life improved with the later models, but not sure that matters when it's already measured in years. FWIW, I use a Pro and don't feel I lack for anything.

Pi3
12-18-13, 14:31
I got this combo
http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-micro-h-1-4moam4-mount-combo

The_War_Wagon
12-18-13, 14:34
Comp M2 + M4C Equipment Exchange (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?120-Optics-Sights-amp-Mounts-(EE)) = WINNING!

bluejackets92fs
12-18-13, 15:19
Aimpoint has MAP pricing so you will likely find the same prices anywhere you look whether it be Grant or Optics Planet. I have a PRO and like it but I will likely upgrade to a T1 on a Larue QD mount.

Skyyr
12-18-13, 15:20
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! I almost went for the PRO, but I found a NIB M4 for $600 shipped and couldn't really pass it up, so I went with that one.

sierra 223
12-18-13, 15:20
Unless you just want to spend more money than needed just get the PRO.

CoryCop25
12-18-13, 16:05
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! I almost went for the PRO, but I found a NIB M4 for $600 shipped and couldn't really pass it up, so I went with that one.

Good choice but it's a little on the heavy side. You can't beat that price though. I would suggest getting an ADM lower 1/3 mount. It is much nicer than the QRPII mount which is absolute co witness. The great thing about the M4 is that you can put an Energizer Lithium battery in it, turn it on and forget about it for 8 to 10 years.

aguila327
12-18-13, 16:41

You can find them for sale eith a standard, high (for ar's) or no mount. The dealer would supply the option snd tge price differences.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

shootinmedic
12-21-13, 00:56
Look at www.strohmanenterprise.com. Joe is a good guy to deal
with and is a retired Marine . Excellent service and prices!!

And he carries the new Combat Optic Tool developed by retired Marine Col Freddie Blish

NongShim
12-21-13, 07:23
To me it comes down to a few criteria and in no particular order they are: weight/size, mount type, battery type, cost.

They're all the same, and do the same thing just to varying degrees and in different housings. It's not like choosing an EOTech reticle that has ring/no ring, single dot/multidot options. With Aimpoint you get a single dot, period. You get a couple of options on size, that's it. So that's why I have my criteria.

If cost is important, meaning, you can't afford to spend much, the PRO wins because it's cheapest by a long shot and comes with a mount.

If weight is most important, then you go with the Micro because it's smallest and lightest by a long shot.

They all have insanely long battery life (longer than anyone really needs) so if you're set on a certain battery type, then chose accordingly (AA, coin, 1/3N).

If you don't like using a 30mm ring because you're worried about not getting it perfectly level, then your options are M4 or Micro.

If you don't actually care one way or the other spend as much or as little money as you want. Plenty of good places to buy from. I've bought various Aimpoints from LaRue, Midway, Botach (gasp, shocker). I've not bought them from Grant but I've gotten other stuff and he's head to toe legit as most will attest.

As said, you're over complicating this for yourself. They all do exactly the same thing, and they're all the same quality. Regardless of which one you get, you're going to have a quality red dot sight with long battery life.

Just as a point of reference, I've owned the following: M2, ML3, T1, R1. I've been issued and used: M2, M4, M4S, T1. My favorite by far is the Micro series.

SeriousStudent
12-21-13, 10:57
NongShim, thank you for taking the time to post that. We need to turn that into a wall-sized poster.

C4IGrant
12-21-13, 11:12

And he carries the new Combat Optic Tool developed by retired Marine Col Freddie Blish

Or check out the site sponsors that offer better pricing. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=PKGS

C4

Grizzly16
12-21-13, 12:05
Or check out the site sponsors that offer better pricing and excellent service. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=PKGS

C4

Lemme fix that a bit.

Skyyr
12-22-13, 15:13
Just as a point of reference, I've owned the following: M2, ML3, T1, R1. I've been issued and used: M2, M4, M4S, T1. My favorite by far is the Micro series.

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, do you know why .mil would issue the M4 and the M4S? I would think it would be one or the other for standardization purposes (then again, I'm assuming a lot). Which of the two did you prefer?

scoutfsu99
12-22-13, 17:53
Not NS....but I'd imagine that they started with the M4. After feedback regarding the battery compartment being in the FOV, they went to the M4S. I heard/read that somewhere but couldn't tell you where.

With both optics in the system on unit's books, they're both going to be issued. Just like if a unit has M2's and M4S's....both optics will be issued until the M2 is either broken or turned in. Same with older -01NSN ACOGS and the 31F's, etc. I used to be issued a 31DOC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they (generally) don't shit can a useable system until they have to.

scoutfsu99
12-22-13, 17:55

If you're military or a LEO, Joe is the way to go.

HD1911
12-23-13, 01:05
If you're military or a LEO, Joe is the way to go.

Correct, his prices cannot be beat for MIL/LE

C4IGrant
12-23-13, 08:09

I would say that probably isn't true.

C4

C4IGrant
12-23-13, 08:09

C4

bullittmcqueen
12-23-13, 08:31
If you've ever dealt with Grant before, you'd know he takes care of m4C members. I've bought all my
Aimpoints from him.

scoutfsu99
12-23-13, 12:04
C4

It was true when I bought a T1 earlier this year.

C4IGrant
12-23-13, 12:06
It was true when I bought a T1 earlier this year.

Did you have our LE/MIL coupon code? Where you just buying a Micro or a package with a mount?

Feel free to PM or e-mail us the details.

C4

Wolfhound86
12-28-13, 23:35
Just buy the T-1 from Grant. Have no regrets.

ptmccain
12-29-13, 06:55
Thumbs up on T-1, though if you do not intend to take your M4 SCUBA diving or if you are not planning on joining a SEAL team anytime soon, the H-1 is a great choice too.

GONIF
01-04-14, 14:40
http://tradingplacepawn.com/aimpoint-micro-h-1.html