PDA

View Full Version : 110gr "Black Tip" TSX Performance

jonconsiglio
12-18-13, 15:07
While I'm typically a diehard 5.56 shooter and hunter, I've been working with a 9" AAC 300blk for work and defensive use, of course it fills a hunting role as well. My primary reason for going with this rifle is that I wanted 14.5" 5.56 performance (or better) from a 9" barrel since much of my time is spent in vehicles and buildings.

Took down a hog last night with the blackout. AAC 9" barrel using Munch520's Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x20. Hit him from about 70 yards on his right side and destroyed his spine above his shoulders. He was kicking around for a just a bit with only his front legs, so I fired a finishing head shot from my same location. That shot entered the left side go his head behind his ear and opened up the right side of his head, removing about half of his brain and a piece of skull.

I was using factory Barnes 110gr Vor-TX Black Tip. It would have been traveling at roughly 1,940 fps at 70 yards with an expansion threshold of roughly 300 yards. The damage was more than I've seen from Black Hills 50gr TSX, Barnes 55gr Vor-TX (TSX) and SSA 70gr TSX fired from much closer distances, though I'm 100% confident those 5.56 loads will kill big hogs just as dead.

9" AAC 300blk sitting on my Noveske lower.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/11439326603_b39efd49e7_c.jpg

Initial shot that broke (destroyed) the spinal cord

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/11437685624_3de1a333d2_c.jpg

Initial shot, spinal cord damage

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/11437655835_1871c877f3_c.jpg

Finishing shot, entrance wound

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/11437690166_77c2481d82_c.jpg

Finishing shot, exit wound

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3826/11437806223_114863e40f_c.jpg

C-grunt
12-18-13, 21:25
Hot damn!

SkyPup
12-19-13, 06:18
I am using the Barnes 130 grain TSX in my 7.62mm handloads and it is nothing to sneeze at, the hogs never knew what hit them. Have not recovered a bullet yet as they normally pass through, but I keep looking to get one to document how well they work...

jonconsiglio
12-19-13, 13:32
I am using the Barnes 130 grain TSX in my 7.62mm handloads and it is nothing to sneeze at, the hogs never knew what hit them. Have not recovered a bullet yet as they normally pass through, but I keep looking to get one to document how well they work...

Yeah, there was no chance of recovering these as well. I've never recovered a 5.56 TSX either and I've killed a good number of them with those. Not near as many as you have, but definitely a good handful.

I'm very impressed with this little gun.

TriggerTX
12-30-13, 05:33
@jonconsiglio

How do you like that Leupold, is that one with a sub/super reticle?

I purchased the same upper and plan to use it on some hogs when I get back home to Texas for a bit, suppressed and unsuppressed, and can’t decide on an optic. I have a T1 to throw on there but am considering getting something in at least a 4 power that has built in holdovers for both loads of ammo. Been looking at both of Browes offerings along with Leupold and another, can’t remember. I do have a 3x mag for my T1, but am worried if I start switching between subs and sonics I'll start missing, and I hate that.

rjacobs
12-30-13, 09:18
VXR Patrol does NOT have 300BLK specific hold's unless they have a newer model out that I am not aware of.

I have a VXR Patrol that I know the dial "downs" you could say between subs and supers. Im zero'd for my sub load because I use them WAY more often and then I dial down for the supers.

Ive never liked using somebody else's pre chosen holds for anything.

TriggerTX
12-30-13, 09:45
Ive never liked using somebody else's pre chosen holds for anything.

I'm trying to find a good reason or recommendation to get a bc scope, but like you mentioned the shooter seems to be limited to a select ammunition.

Is the reticle set up for a 16 or 9in barrel, and for what load of ammunition and what if that’s not the load I want to shoot?..

I realize though I'm not going to find the perfect optic with such variation.

TriggerTX
12-30-13, 09:47
I sure wish there was a way to dial a rifle like a 300 blk out shooting subs and supers in and build a reticle to match the dope you want.

Off to the drawing board.

jonconsiglio
12-30-13, 13:41
I sure wish there was a way to dial a rifle like a 300 blk out shooting subs and supers in and build a reticle to match the dope you want.

Off to the drawing board.

I'll post back shortly with more info. With a 50 yard zero using black tip, you'll have POA/POI at 50 and around 115 yards. Not all that far off from a 10.5" 5.56 with 70gr TSX. Now, at 150, you'll be just under 1.5" low, 170 yards about 3" low and at 200 yards, about 6.5" low.

So, using something like the Leupold 1.25-4 (which munch520 left with me after he came down last week), I can easily hold off a little or just dial just under a mil of elevation for a 200 yard shot.

I really need a laser range finder. I am very confident in this set up and would have no concerns about taking a 250 yard shot, maybe even 300 if we're talking smaller hogs, but that's pushing it. I'd basically stay within the same ranges as I would my 14.5" 5.56 using 70gr TSX. 200 yards is fine, maybe 250. Beyond that, a few things have to be going right for me to attempt to take an animal.

Also, at least here in south Texas, it's pretty unlikely that we need to take. Shot beyond 100 or 150 yards. Typically for me it's well under 100 yards.

I've always hunted hogs with a T1. This is the first time I've gone with a low powered variable, but I love it and it gives me confidence at farther ranges. I have no doubt I'll hit a hog at 200 from this rifle with a T1, but I might not get as precise of a shot as I can with the Leupold.

Some time next year, if all goes right, I'll look at picking up a Leupold MK6 1-6 that I can swap around between rifles.

drh2687
12-31-13, 03:26
Jon,

I'll be moving to Houston when I return from AFG in a few months. I know that Houston is not equal to Corpus, but do you have any recommendations on where I need to go to find some hogs? I've been trying to get into hunting them for a few years, but have not lived in a location where there were very many piggies.

Thanks!

--David

TriggerTX
12-31-13, 07:07
Jon,

I'll be moving to Houston when I return from AFG in a few months. I know that Houston is not equal to Corpus, but do you have any recommendations on where I need to go to find some hogs? I've been trying to get into hunting them for a few years, but have not lived in a location where there were very many piggies.

Thanks!

--David

David,
I know I wasn’t asked but I could give you a pointer or two since I'm from near houston and have been hunting hogs out on my farms and ranches since day one.

First, make some buddies that have land there that will take you out. Next, get to know some farmers around there who will yet you go out and try and take some pigs, the hogs devastate the crops like milo, rice, ext. and would love to slow down their pig population. Some farmers won’t allow the hunting or just being on their property for liability purposes. Out in the Garwood-Columbus area where I'm from, about 100 miles west of Houston we hunt those hogs with dogs. There are places you can pay to hunt them as well; I'm just not sure as I've never done so.

If you think about getting on a hunting lease, most do it for the deer, then hog hunting will just be a perk for the rest of the year.

I'll be back home blastin piggies when I get home from AFG as well.

Josh

jonconsiglio
12-31-13, 09:05
I'll PM you guys today. Stay safe.

drh2687
01-01-14, 01:20
Good advice Josh, thanks. I just wasn't sure if the farmland south of Houston (which is the most convenient to where I'm headed) had hog problems.

Where are you at in AFG? Stay safe, regardless.

Happy New Year to everyone!

--David

TriggerTX
01-02-14, 11:57
Good advice Josh, thanks. I just wasn't sure if the farmland south of Houston (which is the most convenient to where I'm headed) had hog problems.

Where are you at in AFG? Stay safe, regardless.

Happy New Year to everyone!

--David

So, David,
I ride a Polaris Ranger every day pretty much. What kind of Rangers do you ride? Avitar, kidding...
Where exactly are you heading to in Tejas?

Beendare
01-02-14, 21:51
To the OP,
Thx for posting those pics......great performance from that cartridge. I got a 6.8 upper for my son to hunt hogs here in Ca [.223 is not legal] and it does a good job on them. I sure wish I would have seen your pics before I bought it though.

drh2687
01-03-14, 01:36
Jon,

I was finally able to get your pics to load (our army-internet is finicky about photos) - Impressive performance. I've got a good supply of the black tips and it's good to know they perform as advertised.

I also picked up a few boxes of those Lehigh Defense controlled fracture subsonics (after selling a kidney in order to do so). Have you had the opportunity to experiment with them? I liked to looks of them in my water jug testing, but I have not seen any real-world data back to back it up. Generally I'm wary of terminal performance out of subs, but it looks like they might have bridged the gap.

Sent you a PM back.

--David

TriggerTX
01-03-14, 07:12
Jon,

I was finally able to get your pics to load (our army-internet is finicky about photos) - Impressive performance. I've got a good supply of the black tips and it's good to know they perform as advertised.

David,
How did you get the photos to load?

Also, Jon,
I dont think I thanked you for the write-up, thanks.
I have purchased a 9in AAC upper, sitting back home in Texas right now with all the other firearms related goodies I have ordere while away on vacation. I've also purchase a couple of cans, one for that AAC in particular, and SBR'd a few lowers. This will be my first 300blk and I'm picking up all the info and knowledge I can and putting it in my kitbag before I start shooting and reloadig this new cartridge.

Josh

drh2687
01-03-14, 08:23
I wrote on my hand so I could remember to look at them on my laptop/non-army internet in my hooch... I know, I know - Brilliant. :cool:

TriggerTX
01-03-14, 11:04
I wrote on my hand so I could remember to look at them on my laptop/non-army internet in my hooch... I know, I know - Brilliant. :cool:

I was affraid of that. Edge city and sniper hill cost too damn much, I havent purchased any internet in an effort to save some cash for all the things I really want like firearms accessories, another Beneli, some new seats form my Jeep, and so on. It wont be much longer till I'll be at mi casa to look this stuff up.

Thanks,

Josh

jonconsiglio
01-03-14, 11:37
To the OP,
Thx for posting those pics......great performance from that cartridge. I got a 6.8 upper for my son to hunt hogs here in Ca [.223 is not legal] and it does a good job on them. I sure wish I would have seen your pics before I bought it though.

I had an 8" 6.8. It was a really nice rifle but it was pretty violent compared to 300blk. Not a problem, just something I noticed.

If I was buying a rifle strictly for hunting that was 14.5" to 16" and not 5.56, I'd likely pick up a 6.8. The 6.8 is flatter shooting at distance and performs very well. The 300blk will also perform very well, but trajectory is more of an issue.

Personally though, I really can't see taking a shot beyond 200 yards. At 200 yards, the drop is about 6" depending on the weather. Using a T1, this is within the size of the dot. Using mil dot, that's a .8 adjustment or holding at the top edge of the 1st dot.

Hunting is not the primary role of this rifle. I took a chance on the 300blk and initially wrote it off due to all the talk you hear on the forums and I figured it didn't offer much over 5.56. Well, the opportunity came up so I got it. The first thing I noticed was how little blast and concussion there was from a 9" barrel when compared to my 11.5" 5.56. Almost no blast and recoil was hardly anymore than 5.56, just slightly more push.

Then I started comparing ballistics. From a 9" 300, the Black Tip has an expansion threshold of over 300 yards. I didn't have to worry about new mags and could grab a spare bolt should I need a replacement (not really a big issue. Just convenient).

If I hunted faster moving game in more open areas where I might not have time to make adjustments or was using a red dot, the 6.8 might be my better choice. For the areas I hunt, anything in excess of 150 yards is very rare, plus we often hunt from a truck or Polaris type vehicle, so a smaller, more maneuverable rifle made the most sense for me.

I'm content with 5.56, 6.8, 308 or 300blk. I wish I would have kept my SCAR H and if I had the money, I'd have a 6.8 as well.

Jon,

I also picked up a few boxes of those Lehigh Defense controlled fracture subsonics (after selling a kidney in order to do so). Have you had the opportunity to experiment with them? I liked to looks of them in my water jug testing, but I have not seen any real-world data back to back it up. Generally I'm wary of terminal performance out of subs, but it looks like they might have bridged the gap.

Sent you a PM back.

--David

The Black Tip is my first choice. I have a few rounds of pink tip and VMAX left, but I like black tip for hunting. I shot a jackrabbit from 120 yards with VMAX and just destroyed it. Is there an better way for me to post pics that you can view them? Direct link instead of posting them in the thread maybe?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/11440721254_ac249380db_c.jpg

Here's the direct link for the pic above.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/11440721254_ac249380db_c.jpg

I don't know enough about the subsonic ammo to say. I'll see what I can find on them and will post back later. I hope you found some good stuff. I've heard of a number of guys hunting with the subs you can normally find and as long as you make a good hit, the results are consistent and effective.

jon,
I dont think I thanked you for the write-up, thanks.
I have purchased a 9in AAC upper, sitting back home in Texas right now with all the other firearms related goodies I have ordere while away on vacation. I've also purchase a couple of cans, one for that AAC in particular, and SBR'd a few lowers. This will be my first 300blk and I'm picking up all the info and knowledge I can and putting it in my kitbag before I start shooting and reloadig this new cartridge.

Josh

Thanks. Let me know what kind of info you're looking for and I can pass it along. I have a good bit of info on trajectory and holdovers.

One of these days I'll start reloading. I've been putting it off for years, but with the blackout, it really makes sense.