PDA

View Full Version : What is THE LIGHTEST & most RELIABLE single-shot 12 gauge shotgun available?

G19A3
12-19-13, 11:47
Title says it all.

GH41
12-19-13, 14:47
What do you intend to use it for?? I hope it isn't for a child! GH

G19A3
12-19-13, 17:24
What do you intend to use it for?? I hope it isn't for a child! GH

Field use for me. Extended weight-conscious hiking/camping trips. To put a rabbit or two in the pot.

I'm assuming single-shots will be MUCH lighter and more compact. But being a single, it would need to be uber reliable.

Takedown packable would be a plus.

12 gauge 2.75" is fine. No need for a 3" chamber.

mic2377
12-19-13, 17:57
The NEF single shots are very small/light. Be forewarned, they are MISERABLE to shoot though. I am not a bad shotgun shot, but found I could not hit a thing with one of these. I attributed it to the recoil and abysmal fit.

But it would definitely put a rabbit in the stew pot...

Shao
12-19-13, 17:59
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=73&category=10&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

5 lbs. <$200... it's a single-shot break open, I would say go for it.

GH41
12-19-13, 18:29
Field use for me. Extended weight-conscious hiking/camping trips. To put a rabbit or two in the pot.

I'm assuming single-shots will be MUCH lighter and more compact. But being a single, it would need to be uber reliable.

Takedown packable would be a plus.

12 gauge 2.75" is fine. No need for a 3" chamber.

If all you want is a rabbit a 22 caliber pistol would serve you much better!!!! A 4-5# 12 gauge will hurt you more than it hurts the rabbit!!!!! GH

WillBrink
12-19-13, 18:45
If all you want is a rabbit a 22 caliber pistol would serve you much better!!!! A 4-5# 12 gauge will hurt you more than it hurts the rabbit!!!!! GH

And shot gun pellets taste like sh&% in my experience.

Bluto
12-19-13, 18:56
http://www.serbu.com/supershorty.html

Shao
12-19-13, 19:09
Ha! I didn't even catch the rabbit part! A 12 ga is definitely overkill. Just get a nice .22 rifle or even a nice pellet gun. Jeez.

G19A3
12-19-13, 19:14
Ha! I didn't even catch the rabbit part! A 12 ga is definitely overkill. Just get a nice .22 rifle or even a nice pellet gun. Jeez.

Rabbit for the pot was just an example. I am researching a 12G lightweight for a camping jack-of-all-trades. I would also be carrying a 9mm pistol for two-legged defense.

Shao
12-19-13, 19:25
With a break open you can get all kinds of rifled and smooth bore (not recommended) caliber conversion inserts so you could actually go .22... There's not a lot that can go wrong with a break action single shot shotgun so I think the Rossi or something in its price range would do you fine. Throw in a few conversions for calibers that you'd like to carry and it would still come in under $300. Something to think about.

LibertyNeverDies
12-22-13, 18:17
I would look around and see if you can find something used that is out of production. My interest isn't single shot shotguns so I can't tell you the exact model but a friend of mine has a single shot Savage or Stevens in 20GA. It was LITE! It also kicked way worse than my 870 in 12GA(7.5 shot in both). I would look for one of those in 12GA if you are going to be carrying it a lot and shooting it very little. I think you'd be better served in the end if you are willing to hunt down a nice older single shot(Savage, Stevens, Winchester, etc).

Mr blasty
12-22-13, 18:26
What about a drilling?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Ripdog33
01-12-14, 12:44
My top favorite shotgun is my Ithica 12g lever action break barrel. Not sure if made anymore but if ya find one get it. You will love it. Old Ithica's were top of the line.

zonerA1
06-03-15, 08:52
Fwiw i have a h+r 20 ga single shot. In HD or truck gun mode it has a 18 1/2" barrel, when it hunts I have a 26" barrel threaded for choke tubes. With the short barrel and using a slip on limbsaver it kicks pretty good. In 12 ga due to the weight the gun you want will kick like a mule

CornCod
07-17-15, 22:43
Hey, one of those single-shot "Comanche" .410 gauge single shot pistols might be the bee's knees.

JasonB1
07-18-15, 07:20
Aguila mini shells would probably be handy for it.

lunchbox
07-18-15, 08:22
With a break open you can get all kinds of rifled and smooth bore (not recommended) caliber conversion inserts so you could actually go .22... There's not a lot that can go wrong with a break action single shot shotgun so I think the Rossi or something in its price range would do you fine. Throw in a few conversions for calibers that you'd like to carry and it would still come in under $300. Something to think about.I really enjoyed the cal conversions for my shotgun, so much so, I gave them to close family when sold gun. They have come a long way and have up to 8" rifled versions now for cals up to 45Colt and are a must have if you go with break action shotty. Short Lane Gun Adapters is where I got mine http://www.gunadapters.com. BTW 3" adapters can be used in pump action (at least in an 870) if it has a 3in chamber. Your extractor will hate you tho.
But... As some have mentioned, you'd be better suited going with 22lr.

HKGuns
07-18-15, 08:38
For your stated purpose I don't see that a 12 GA is absolutely necessary. So, straying a bit from your desires, I give you the FIE Bronco.

Single shot .410 and likely the lightest, most reliable shotgun you'll find. Fair warning, even though it is "only" .410, it kicks like two mules.

http://HKGuns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p75901593-5.jpg

Abraham
07-18-15, 09:23
I have a Rossi single shot 12 ga. and the only shells I've fired were turkey loads.

By virtue of it's lightweight (5 or so lbs) it has a murderous recoil with high brass loads.

I had to put a butt pad and cheek pad on it and it's still tough to shoot.

Maybe, low brass dove loads would work without practically knocking my shoulder and cheek off...

Frankly, if I had it to do over, I'd buy a Remington 870.

CAVDOC
09-02-15, 13:55
There is an interesting long running thread at ar15.com regarding these single shot utility guns - I am about tempted to buy one. Just my opinion I would not think much recoil difference between a 20 and 12 considering light field loads are pretty close in payload and velocity. Heavy game loads nontoxic slugs or magnums would be stupid I would think. I have a Springfield m6 scout 22/410 that is a nice handy package and pretty accurate with the 22 barrel despite the worst trigger in history! Sadly they do not make them anymore and prices on used ones have gotten crazy stupid!
Savage still makes a break open combo gun and that might be a worthy choice. Having a few cheap single barrels stashed in the shed barn or garage or hunting cabin might not be a bad idea though

jbjh
09-02-15, 19:22
A savage model 24, in one of its various iterations, might do all you're looking for and a little more. I haven't owned one in years, but I don't remember being particularly heavy.

But if you're wanting to experiment with caring a single shot 12 gauge around, I would look at the gun stores. pawnshops and gun shows. No reason to spend a lot of money on it and should be able to do it for right around $100.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

Hairy Clipper
09-11-15, 18:37
It is your project, but, after forty some years of hunting birds, waterfowl and deer with a twenty gauge shotgun I can honestly say I have never felt undergunned. The old Winchester Model 37 is what I would look for. Man sized stock dimensions will really help and the 37 fits that requirement and it takes down easily.

As a side note, the old British gunmakers had a formula for determining how much a shotgun should weigh without being too heavy yet heavy enough to keep the felt recoil tolerable. The weight of shot charge times 96 equals desired weight of the gun. 1 ounce of shot X 96 = 96 96/16 = 6 pounds

TMW89
09-11-15, 18:53
H&R. Maybe a 20 guage though

Kain
09-11-15, 19:12
It is your project, but, after forty some years of hunting birds, waterfowl and deer with a twenty gauge shotgun I can honestly say I have never felt undergunned. The old Winchester Model 37 is what I would look for. Man sized stock dimensions will really help and the 37 fits that requirement and it takes down easily.

With the current advances in 20 gauge ammo in the past few years, slugs especially, 20 gauge is an option in my mind. Only real downside is that ammo is going to generally cost more since 12 gauge king. Though 20 gauge ain't nearly as bad as 28 or 410 or the other more boutique gauges.

That said, for GP small game hunting a .22lr pistol of quality and accuracy makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. Or even a Ruger takedown.

Another option, if you are a handloader, I remember reading a while back about guys who were loading .22 pellets in .223 brass, that had been modded to hold the pellet for use as a small game round out of an AR. I think there was even special brass for it at one time. A friend even played with it a little bit, and we were able to get some impressive results after just screwing with the concept for a few hours, but we never took the time to pursue it. If one was looking for a small compact gun for small game as well as shit hitting the fan, a LW AR might be an option if one were inclined to do some experimentation.

Mikill Drengr
10-10-15, 10:01
I would think a nice little .410 would do if you are also packing a 9.